Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Regarding the fold, that's the first costume looking element I've seen sculpted in. I say keep it, big time. It looks like a fold that would develope from wearing a latex suit supporting that protruding spine.
It's not only a great sculpture....but also starting to come alive as a replica of what this 'costume' was on screen. Accuracy is there, but little details like this are really starting to bring this home.
Love it.

David

Thanks for the kind words folks :)

I'm unsure about the fold TBH. I can't tell whether it looks 'rubbery' or like flesh, but I'm not sure either is quite right for this beast. Wait, I know what it might be - you've got the spinal ridge underneath and on top with little clearance for that whole thing to bend at its base.

If this thing moves so that the head clears it - perfectly reasonable - seems to me that it'd more likely do it by bending along its own length. Since it *does* clear the head, that's already covered. Maybe? Just blathering here really - I certainly don't dislike it, I'd be open if I did.

Regarding the fold, that's the first costume looking element I've seen sculpted in. I say keep it, big time. It looks like a fold that would develope from wearing a latex suit supporting that protruding spine.
It's not only a great sculpture....but also starting to come alive as a replica of what this 'costume' was on screen. Accuracy is there, but little details like this are really starting to bring this home.
Love it.

David

Thanks for the feedback on the fold Martyn/David, I was hoping for some opinions on this :)
Theres a pic in the book 'Giger's Alien' page 64, bottom L/H corner that shows a curved shape at the base (outside edges) of the fin where it blends into the back.
Its also in this pic, though the fin is pushed down a little in this pic:
alien-binder-4.jpg

I have upto this point tried not to include detail that would suggest a rubber suit, otherwise I'd have a join line between the bottom of the neck & the body for example.
This area is a tricky one for me though, I'm having to do it by imagination as I have no reference to the back with the fin in that position.
I thought it might be fun to add one small area to suggest a rubber suit to the sculpt :)
At this point I'm just trying it out to see how it looks & if it works :)
I quite like it even as just a little extra detail.
Your thoughts are more than welcome :) in fact would be much appreciated :)
I've tried to refine it a little more, heres another pic:
536.jpg

:)

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS: November 20, 2036- Leigh is finally happy with the sculpt and is going to begin molding...wait! This just in! Leigh has found something else on the sculpt that makes it not quite perfect. Work continues. Stay tuned for further updates. :)

Wouldn't you just kill to have copies of those photos? :)

Hell yeah :)

BREAKING NEWS: November 20, 2036- Leigh is finally happy with the sculpt and is going to begin molding...wait! This just in! Leigh has found something else on the sculpt that makes it not quite perfect. Work continues. Stay tuned for further updates. :)

LMAO :lol:lol
Sorry its taking so long guy's :$
I've not got any serious changes to make now, no cutting bits off or any of that, I'm at the detailing & smoothing stage now :)

Leigh,

Absolutely stunning. Not only is it the most accurate replica I've seen yet of the original Giger design (damn you for getting there first ;) ) but the base design is a work of art all on it's own.

I also have to ask - where on god's earth did you find that last binder pages shot !? Can't tell you how many hours I've spent scouring the web for more of those continuity images. I remember the day that binder went up for auction and have been dreaming about what was in it ever since !

:lol

Leigh, I thought David's argument re the fold was persuasive.

:lol

Leigh, I thought David's argument re the fold was persuasive.

:thumbsup Awesome! :$

...and just to add to my reasoning behind the support of that fold and maybe other areas like that....Leigh seems to be looking to replicate the Alien as it was on film....down to the smallest and almost seemingly insignificant detail.
In doing so, he's nailing the Alien 'Costume' aspect too...It's not just an awesome Alien bust sculpt...but it's now starting to incorporate the beautiful details that made the 'costume' work so well on film. Which we all know was not a cleaned up, polished smooth costume.

Omitting those kinds of details would still result in an awesome bust, but it would be less likely to have the feel and emotion of the Alien suit as a whole...thus giving us the Alien we saw on film.

Sorry...rambling while on the phone, on hold....:lol

David

Clutch - if memory serves it was somewhere over 2K, might have been around $2400. God knows I considered it but just no way I could have justified that one at the time.

Leigh - I'd also like to say I loved the fold detail. I agree with David on that one. It's a great little tip of the hat to the original suit, but not to the extent that it takes the sculpt away from being realistic. I don't think it was an intentional part of the original sculpt, sure it was a result of the latex buckling in that area.

Thanks for the support guy's :)

Time for a little update:

I've been busy trying to get all the little loose ends tied up.
The smoothing off is well underway with just a bit more to be done here n there.
I've reshaped the underside & done away with the squared off bit in the middle. I'm used to getting large area's flat or smooth & to shape on cars using body filler but trying to get the underside smooth & ripple free in clay is a chore to say the least, its nearly there though.
I dont think I need to add any more detail other than texturing, most of which will be sponged with just small areas of extra texture similar to the face.
I made a part to represent the lines & dashes on the pauldrons, made a mould of it & reproduced it several times in polyester filler & I'm now happy those are done.
I've altered the last couple of spines on the fin where it joins the back so that they flow into each other a bit better & I've made a start texturing the fin, I'm using paint to texture the fin as its not clay.
The tops of the pauldrons will be the last part to recieve my attention prior to an all over coat of paint as they seem to pick up dinks, & marks constantly & they need to be real smooth.
Thats about it for now, heres some pic's :)
537.jpg

539.jpg

540.jpg

:)

Last edited:
It's good, it's very very very good indeed.

Soooo, got those moulding supplies in hand yet? :)

Thank you mate :)
I havent got the silicone yet, I want to get him 100% ready before I part with that much dosh.
I've still got to make up some temporary supports to prop him up during the mould making & I'll have to make the first set of partitions aswell. I'm expecting to have 2-3 partitions for the head, 3 for the body, 1 for the fin, 2 for the jaw, 1 for the pipes, 1 for the base & I havent figured exactly what I'm going to do with the tongue just yet :)

Leigh,

Looking fantastic ! I know what you mean regarding the clay finish. How hard is the clay you're working with ? I've often used sandpaper for a final surface finish in decreasing grits - same approach as the rigid materials, you just go through a LOT more paper :cry Thin, flexible metal scrapers are also great for finishing - with the right contour you can gradually shave down all the high spots.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back