Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Not an adequate sample?

Do you know what “representative sample” means? It’s like a cross-section of the entire population (whatever population you’re sampling.)

The poll would have to include a variety of types of viewers in order to be representative, while with an optional poll like RT you end up with a sample that’s pretty much only the people who loved or hated the movie with enough passion to visit a website and vote.

This is a very straightforward concept. I’m not going to waste everyone’s time going over it any further.

I watched this last night for the first time.

I enjoyed it, but found a few parts a bit frustrating. I didn’t like the Rey talking to Kylo via The Force Voice Activated Interplanetary Cell Phone aspect. I also found some of the humor to feel a bit forced and it fell flat for me.

I really liked Rey and Kylo fighting together after Kylo sliced Snoke in half. I also really liked th creatures...the horse things, the Porgs, and the crystal fox things were really cool to me.

Overall, though, I enjoyed it.

That said, I’m surprised there’s not much discussion going on about this film.

Rotten Tomatoes actually deleted a bunch of negative reviews as well.
Yes, from people flooding the reviews section with thousands of reviews before the movie even came out. This has happened before with Rotten Tomatoes.

Ok, so are you now suggesting that thousand of fans who outnumbered/overwhelmed deletions and positive post aren't relevant?
No, I didn’t say all negative reviews are irrelevant. I didn’t say anything close to that, so I’m not sure where you thought I said that.

Not only are you trying to deflect my explanation for "lot's of people," you are meeting my prediction that "nothing" will change your mind.
What explanation? You made a statement as if some poll on a website represented actual popular opinion. Maybe it does, but maybe it doesn’t. I explained why the logic was flawed. Take a look at the poll at the top of this very thread for a different opinion, if you wish.

ATLEAST 54% of fans who are willing to write a review, negatively reviewed this movie. Remember, negative reviews were deleted.
On one website. Again, see above. And again, deleting fake negative AND positive reviews is common on RT.

Oh, I get it, you only want to hear the positive reviews. BUT, you claim you want to have a reasonable/rational discussion.
I’m not the one ranting. I’m happy hearing positive and negative reviews. You don’t seem to “get it,” as you say.

Am I seeing correctly? 198,000 reviews. Not an adequate sample?
Again, it’s not about how many people, it’s about who they are.

DhIs781VMAAqEXh.jpg:large

Wasn’t she told by Ren that her parents were nobodies , and they sold her for drinking money or something just as pathetic ?

:cheersGed
Sheesh, I stand corrected!
See, this is my brain forgetting the movie since I've only seen it in the theatre. I still think of these characters mostly as their TFA versions and my impression was always that Rey was just simply stuck on a ****ty planet with no real means to leave and nowhere to go really, instead of actually being a slave, sort of like making herself a prisoner of her dreams and ideas that her family will be back for her...until there was an actual reason for her to nick a ship and fly off. Still sounds more compelling than being a literal slave.

@sztriki , No worries mate . I’m in the same boat - having seen the film once , all those months ago .
It’s only because related things are brought up in these threads that I’m lucky (?) to recall anything at all from it !:facepalm

:cheersGed

@sztriki, @gedmac66:

I think you're missing JPH's point, which is understandable as JPH sometimes struggles with communicating his/her points in a coherent fashion. But JPH wasn't stating that Rey was a slave. Instead, best I can tell, it was some attempt to sarcastically point out a difference between Anakin and Rey - he was a slave, she was not - to avoid acknowledging the general sameness of the character arc between Rey and Anakin in TFA and TPM, respectively, and how they fit the general mold of "orphan (literal or figurative) with no training who saves the day" established by ANH.

M

Last edited:
@sztriki, @gedmac66:

I think you're missing JPH's point, which is understandable as JPH sometimes struggles with communicating his/her points in a coherent fashion. But JPH wasn't stating that Rey was a slave. Instead, best I can tell, it was some attempt to sarcastically point out a difference between Anakin and Rey - he was a slave, she was not - to avoid acknowledging the general sameness of the character arc between Rey and Anakin in TFA and TPM, respectively, and how they fit the general mold of "orphan (literal or figurative) with no training who saves the day" established by ANH.

M
I got that, I was merely reflecting on his comment that slaves were established to have a mini-bomb in their bodies in case they want to run away and Rey seemed to have no issues with this. To which I said because she was not a slave, but I turned out to be wrong.

To which I said because she was not a slave, but I turned out to be wrong.

Thanks - but, just in case I am the one misunderstanding - why do you say you're wrong when you said she was not a slave?

There's nothing to indicate she was a slave, at least not by the time of TFA. Even if Kylo is being truthful when he says she was "sold" for drinking money, the TFA novelization makes it clear that she was not a slave by the time she meets Finn. She's free and owes no debts to anyone. In fact, since TFA (the film) makes clear she was left at some point with Unkar Plutt (not the same thing as saying Unkar was the one she was originally "sold" to"), it's pretty telling that she doesn't follow Unkar Plutt's commands - in fact, when he wants something from her, he has to bargain for it (and she is free to refuse, as she did when he wanted to buy BB-8). I take the "sold for drinking money" to mean, at worst, some sort of indentured servitude/child labor - but even that servitude seems long past.

M

Thanks - but, just in case I am the one misunderstanding - why do you say you're wrong when you said she was not a slave?
See the previous exchange between me and gedmac66.

There's nothing to indicate she was a slave, at least not by the time of TFA.
Exactly my point in my previous post.

I take the "sold for drinking money" to mean, at worst, some sort of indentured servitude/child labor - but even that servitude seems long past.
rick.png

Yes, from people flooding the reviews section with thousands of reviews before the movie even came out. This has happened before with Rotten Tomatoes.

No, I didn’t say all negative reviews are irrelevant. I didn’t say anything close to that, so I’m not sure where you thought I said that.

What explanation? You made a statement as if some poll on a website represented actual popular opinion. Maybe it does, but maybe it doesn’t. I explained why the logic was flawed. Take a look at the poll at the top of this very thread for a different opinion, if you wish.

On one website. Again, see above. And again, deleting fake negative AND positive reviews is common on RT.

I’m not the one ranting. I’m happy hearing positive and negative reviews. You don’t seem to “get it,” as you say.

Again, it’s not about how many people, it’s about who they are.

Wow! A site that reviews movies isn't a good sample for evaluating opinion on a movie?

Maybe you's prefer a gardening website?

This is why you tlj people are absolutely broke. 198,000 *is* a lot of people, but anything you can grasp to discredit people who dislike TLJ

And the negative reviews for TLJ were deleted. There was no pre-emptive campaign, you are confusing that with the Black Panther, where Rotten Tomatoes said they would dlete negative reviews.

I know it burns you to realize people actually went to The Last Jedi hoping to like it, but it was so monumentally poor a majority of people hated it. That's why it opened well then nosedived.

Rey wasn’t a slave.

saved for prosperity and pure internet gold.

Did you even watch The Last Jedi?

What grade are you in? NM don't answer that.
Later, Kylo Ren touches her hand and sees what she saw. He eventually lays out the answer she was seeking – as painfully as possible. Taken from Entertainment magazine, I believe...
“Do you know the truth about your parents? Or have you always known? You’ve just hidden it away. … Say it.”
“They were nobody,” she says, fighting back tears.
“They were filthy junk traders,” he says. “Sold you off for drinking money. They’re dead in a pauper’s grave in the Jakku desert. You come from nothing. You’re nothing. … But not to me.”

So your take was Rey was sold into *FREEDOM*?!??!

Oh wait, here's the actual scene...maybe someone can post a gif so you can still deny it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-SidEBWnqI

Maybe we should start a thread for people who have *actually seen* the movie. Maybe another for people who saw the movie with comprehension. And then another for people who have seen the first two Star Wars trilogies with and without comprehension.

Last edited by a moderator:
saved for prosperity and pure internet gold.

Did you even watch The Last Jedi?

What grade are you in? NM don't answer that.
Later, Kylo Ren touches her hand and sees what she saw. He eventually lays out the answer she was seeking – as painfully as possible. Taken from Entertainment magazine, I believe...
“Do you know the truth about your parents? Or have you always known? You’ve just hidden it away. … Say it.”
“They were nobody,” she says, fighting back tears.
“They were filthy junk traders,” he says. “Sold you off for drinking money. They’re dead in a pauper’s grave in the Jakku desert. You come from nothing. You’re nothing. … But not to me.”

So your take was Rey was sold into *FREEDOM*?!??!

Oh wait, here's the actual scene...maybe someone can post a gif so you can still deny it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-SidEBWnqI

Maybe we should start a thread for people who have *actually seen* the movie. Maybe another for people who saw the movie with comprehension. And then another for people who have seen the first two Star Wars trilogies with and without comprehension.
Oh wow, now you really told me, ouch me! Make sure you wipe the froth from your mouth, mate.
As for reading comprehension, read a couple posts back where fully admitted that I stood corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, now you really told me, ouch me! Make sure you wipe the froth from your mouth, mate.
As for reading comprehension, read a couple posts back where fully admitted that I stood corrected.

Dear satriki,

I just read where you corrected yourself. I apologize.
Thank you for correcting yourself, and I stand corrected as well.

jph

Wow! A site that reviews movies isn't a good sample for evaluating opinion on a movie?
Yep. You sound surprised. Did you google what “representative sample” actually means? An example of a “good sample” would be if some percentage of theater attendees were asked for their opinion as they left the theater. Rotten Tomatoes doesn’t do this.

Maybe you's prefer a gardening website?
No, but you’ve stumbled on a good example of what I mean. Let’s say there’s a poll on a large gardening website that asks: “Do you like gardening?” Would you say that the results from that poll would be a good gauge of what percentage of the entire population like gardening? I wouldn’t.

This is why you tlj people are absolutely broke. 198,000 *is* a lot of people, but anything you can grasp to discredit people who dislike TLJ
I haven’t discredited anyone. Even if it was 400,000 people, the way the sample is TAKEN is equally important (in this case, the sample is made up of people answering a completely voluntary poll after choosing to visit a specific website.) Again, look at the poll in this thread. Would you assume from that poll that the majority of the RPF population liked TLJ, based off of that? It has the same issue.

And the negative reviews for TLJ were deleted. There was no pre-emptive campaign, you are confusing that with the Black Panther, where Rotten Tomatoes said they would dlete negative reviews.
Here. As a bonus, it even explains what random sampling is so you don’t have to google it:
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/1...t-jedi-and-its-rotten-tomatoes-audience-score

I know it burns you to realize people actually went to The Last Jedi hoping to like it, but it was so monumentally poor a majority of people hated it. That's why it opened well then nosedived.
Don’t know why it would “burn” me, or really what that even means. If people like it or don’t, that’s their business. All I’m saying is that it’s naive to say something like “a majority of people hated it,” if you’re going to use a poll with poor sampling representation as evidence (even if we assume every single good or bad review came from someone who actually watched TLJ, and even if we assume that absolutely no one voted more than once.)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back