Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Apologies if this was already posted. I saw this on reddit: "snoke has trained Kylo Ren and at least one other apprentice." (apparently his is from the Jedi visual companion magazine, which sounds like a $12 magazine you find at the checkout counter at the supermarket.)

What? What other apprentice, Matt the technician?

IMG_2717.JPG

I cant believe you are reaching conclusions about something you have yet to see for yourself. Are you a Force user or something?

Oh, I've read all the spoiler reviews, and watched spoiler reviews on youtube, I have a pretty good idea how this movie plays out.
From what I gather, Rian either didn't address or nullified everything that JJ was building towards in TFA.
Are you saying that was part of their plan from the start?
Sounds to me like they're winging it.
If you have proof to the contrary, I'd like to see it.

Interesting that you called me out, when I was simply agreeing with Astroboy's post.
Are you still sore that I criticized your AT-AT?

Oh, I've read all the spoiler reviews, and watched spoiler reviews on youtube, I have a pretty good idea how this movie plays out.
From what I gather, Rian either didn't address or nullified everything that JJ was building towards in TFA.

Interesting that you called me out, when I was simply agreeing with Astroboy's post.

I hope you go see it. :)

What??? Are you 12 years old, dude? LOL!! I simply told you to go see it. Its ridiculous to diss a film you have yet to see. Do you have proof they are winging it? Logic would tell me something as important as SW franchise would be carefully structured, of course, when something like an important character's death occurs some changes would need to be made.

BTW, this is a freaking movie. Not a life changing event. Lucas intended the film to be directed to children but I bet he never intended this story and films to turn grown people behaving like little kids. Chill out friend.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you go see it. :)

I agree. It was one of the most beautiful films in the franchise. Those scenes near the end when Luke dies were gorgeous.

- - - Updated - - -

No, you did not read what I wrote thoroughly enough. Yes, it is about "expectations of [...] fans", but not the "I have been a lifelong fan, so gimme", but the kind of expectation that is created by the plot of a movie. The difference, again, between the topic of Obi-Wan´s parents and Rey´s parents is that Obi-Wan´s parents never played any role in all of those stories he was featured in. The question was never raised.
Rey on the contrary is introduced as a girl with a longing for her parents, someone who is lonely yet hopeful. The parent question is part of what we know about Rey. And the average curious mind IMO does seek answers in such a situation.
Again, a movie is allowed to play with the audiences expectations, but it is a thin line to walk.

Regarding the lightsaber toss, I cannot tell you why but I would have accepted it more if he had looked at it for a shot while, turned around and had tossed it into the sea. If you want to get rid of something, wouldn´t you toss it away for good, especially if you have really bad memories connected to it?

I did read it. My opinion about is the same.

Lucas writes trash dialogue. Always did.
I guess you and I have a different definition of brilliant then.

@ Scarecrow Joe You really thought this film was "gorgeous"? I didnt really find any of the locales inspiring or beautiful at all really. I suppose lukes island was kind of cool, but the planet the final act takes place on was drab and boring. Did I miss something?

I guess you and I have a different definition of brilliant then.

@ Scarecrow Joe You really thought this film was "gorgeous"? I didnt really find any of the locales inspiring or beautiful at all really. I suppose lukes island was kind of cool, but the planet the final act takes place on was drab and boring. Did I miss something?

I did. Maybe you missed something or perhaps thats the beauty of having different opinions. Coincidentally Adam Savage also found that scene of Luke's death gorgeous from a cinematic point of view.

I did. Maybe you missed something or perhaps thats the beauty of having different opinions. Coincidentally Adam Savage also found that scene of Luke's death gorgeous from a cinematic point of view.
No need to get snarky with your "thats the beauty of having different opinion" remark. I thought maybe you could site a couple examples instead of being condescending. Yeah, Luke was dying. What about the scene before it where he literally falls off the rock? That was asinine.

No need to get snarky with your "thats the beauty of having different opinion" remark. I thought maybe you could site a couple examples instead of being condescending. Yeah, Luke was dying. What about the scene before it where he literally falls off the rock? That was asinine.

Not a remark, friend, just a fact. I have a different opinion. Nothing condescending about it either.

I remember that sequence as being very abrupt and hasty, editing wise. Luke gets up, sees the sun (or were there twin suns?) smiles, cut to a wider shot and then he disappears. Boom. Gone. And me shocked. Not prepared, like we were when Yoda became one with the Force.

The death of a movie character is meant to evoke emotions, and I still well up when Yoda dies. But Luke left me kind of cold. Shocked, but cold. Because it was like a car crash. Nothing beautiful there. Its almost as if he suddenly was a Vampire. Sun. Vanished. Boom.

A good director knows how to play with all of his/her audiences emotions and expectations (!). Rian Johnson has still a lot to learn as a director. I have to watch Looper again and have to watch Brick.

I remember that sequence as being very abrupt and hasty, editing wise. Luke gets up, sees the sun (or were there twin suns?) smiles, cut to a wider shot and then he disappears. Boom. Gone. And me shocked. Not prepared, like we were when Yoda became one with the Force.

The death of a movie character is meant to evoke emotions, and I still well up when Yoda dies. But Luke left me kind of cold. Shocked, but cold. Because it was like a car crash. Nothing beautiful there. Its almost as if he suddenly was a Vampire. Sun. Vanished. Boom.

A good director knows how to play with all of his/her audiences emotions and expectations (!). Rian Johnson has still a lot to learn as a director. I have to watch Looper again and have to watch Brick.
Very well said, thats exactly how I felt. Even for a minute I thought he might have teleported because of how abrupt it was. When Yoda died, he faded away. Wen Obi Wan died it was more of a flash because of HOW he died. I thought Luke died in the same vein yoda did, and bam. Just like that he was gone.

Very well said, thats exactly how I felt. Even for a minute I thought he might have teleported because of how abrupt it was. When Yoda died, he faded away. Wen Obi Wan died it was more of a flash because of HOW he died. I thought Luke died in the same vein yoda did, and bam. Just like that he was gone.
It happened so fast for me so well that I didn't even realize what had happened until afterwards. I think they could've planned that scene out better.

Well, duh. Lucas' Luke Skywalker left off when he was, what? 24? Of course he would be a different person over 30 years later. They say people don't change, but they do. Some people just change more than others, and with the experiences Luke had post-RotJ, of course he would be a very different Luke Skywalker from the gallivanting, laser sword swinging flyboy he was as a youth. Luke even says it in the movie, (paraphrased from memory) "What did you think was gonna happen? I was just gonna jump in a starfighter, come back with you, and defeat the First Order with my laser sword?" In the words of Luke Skywalker, "This is not going to go the way you think."

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back