eFX SCOUT TROOPER HELMET LEGEND EDITION!!

I agree, If they ever come out with another pre-order, I doubt there will be enough people willing to give their money away to Gino and friends.

Oh! There will be plenty of frothy mindless sheep ready to fork over fistfuls of cash to EFX on a 5-10 year pre-order wait for the Boba Fett helmet. ...that's even if EFX would make good on the delivery rather than shipping you a chromed PC Stormtrooper helmet instead. :lol

The dumbest part about it is, anyone waiting for the EFX Fett helmet can buy an excellent cast based off the buck from the PP2 helmet, and have an incredibly talented prop-maker/artist paint and finish an extremely accurate ESB, ROTJ, Eyes, PP1, or PP2 Helmet. And you'll get it YEARS and YEARS prior to anything EFX will deliver.

This is what some of the guys on rebelscum got from their vendor.

"Finally after a long long time wait this piece will be ready in Hong Kong any moment now. And we are hoping to receive the stock in Q1 2018.

Unfortunately due to the long time it takes for this helmet to be released, our supplier has increased the wholesale price quite a lot (it's due to EFX rises the price) which leaves we only have to increase the price as well. The new price for the helmet is £630.00 and we decide to apply 5% discount for all existing orders to make the new price at £598.50.

Could you please let me know by Wednesday 4pm, the 8th Nov 2017, if you accept the new updated price or want to cancel your order and refund of your deposit."

As some of them have pointed out it kinda seems like the "free" vader helmet wasn't so free after all.

I would be stupefied if everyone didn't cancel their orders and finally get their deposits back. Then again, I wouldn't be shocked if everyone cancelled their pre-orders, hoping for a refund, but no one ever receives a dime. How can they possibly refund money they spent long long long ago.

People will always be suckers for licensed stuff, no matter if you show them more accurate stuff elsewhere. These collectors like the shiny props and helmets (look at the cringy chrome helmets EFX easily sells), the acrylic display stands, the limited edition plaques and the COAs - though at this day and age you can custom make the same display cases and plaques for any kind of prop. Many of them don't really appreciate, nor understand, the intricacies, imperfections and complexity of the screen used props and helmets, they are happy with idealized stuff to look nice on a shelf.

So, yes, EFX will always have their fans which will defend them to the end of the world, and there is not much we can do. We tried to educate collectors on this forum and other boards about all these, but when some guy understands what we say to him and joins our forces LOL, two-three more immediately take his place in the licensed collecting area, and all this becomes a neverending story. And the licensed companies know this and make use of it.

People will always be suckers for licensed stuff, no matter if you show them more accurate stuff elsewhere. These collectors like the shiny props and helmets (look at the cringy chrome helmets EFX easily sells), the acrylic display stands, the limited edition plaques and the COAs - though at this day and age you can custom make the same display cases and plaques for any kind of prop. Many of them don't really appreciate, nor understand, the intricacies, imperfections and complexity of the screen used props and helmets, they are happy with idealized stuff to look nice on a shelf.

So, yes, EFX will always have their fans which will defend them to the end of the world, and there is not much we can do. We tried to educate collectors on this forum and other boards about all these, but when some guy understands what we say to him and joins our forces LOL, two-three more immediately take his place in the licensed collecting area, and all this becomes a neverending story. And the licensed companies know this and make use of it.

Your right...but don´t forget that these plaques,stands and low production runs are a very important factor for the worth of this props.With fanmadestuff its not so easy..and now you can buy very accurate fanstuff like from RS for very good prices.That was a dream 13 Years ago as I started the hobby.

Many of them don't really appreciate, nor understand, the intricacies, imperfections and complexity of the screen used props and helmets, they are happy with idealized stuff to look nice on a shelf.

That´s another thing, and it has nothing to do with the bad actions of most licensed companys. No matter what kind of stuff you order, paid orders should be fullfilled in a timely manner. And licensed companies should not be allowed to sell stuff and collect money for items they don´t have in hand. That´s a fact the licensee should be blamed for over and over again for letting them handle it that way.

So, yes, EFX will always have their fans which will defend them to the end of the world, and there is not much we can do.

Funny thing is ..... i don´t want us to do anything. Their fans who are running into the disaster with open eyes are just getting what they deserve.

I just feel sorry for those newbs that don´t know what will happen cause they think they can trust a licensed and so for them "official" company. All those that have read the facts on any forum and ignore them .... don´t complain, your complaining just makes me smile. :lol

Some people may know about and understand the imperfections of the actual props but not want the replica they display to be that way. In many cases there isn't a single perfect prop. They make several different ones used for different purposes and they are all a little different.

A gripe I have had about some of the recent fan made stuff is they make claims about how accurate it is, sell a bunch, then design a new "even more accurate" version and start selling that. The first versions becomes very difficult to resell. If you wanted it for the accuracy, you will most likely want the newer one. So at this point you have bought two. Then guess what, there is a newer even more accurate one released. If they need to keep making these revisions, I question how much confidence there can be in the accuracy. It is difficult to design an exact replica just based on photos.

Some of the older props where people have the actual props or original parts are different. Those can be cast and measured so the fan made props can be very accurate.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Same with the material...the cheaper Anovos TFA -Trooperhelmet is more accurate as the fiberglassversion because the originals are also plastic.But the higher collectors value will have the fiberglassversion in the future.;)

A gripe I have had about some of the recent fan made stuff is they make claims about how accurate it is, sell a bunch, then design a new "even more accurate" version and start selling that. The first versions becomes very difficult to resell. If you wanted it for the accuracy, you will most likely want the newer one. So at this point you have bought two. Then guess what, there is a newer even more accurate one released. If they need to keep making these revisions, I question how much confidence there can be in the accuracy.

Congratulation, you just wrote the inner truth of many of the regular RPF run-makers.

Each time they want/need some cash, there is a new and upgraded run. And a new, and a new, each one better than the one before.

I wonder where they get the handy new info each time for a new run - or did they knew it before and decided to make only small updates each time on purpose, to keep the cash flow going.

A gripe I have had about some of the recent fan made stuff is they make claims about how accurate it is, sell a bunch, then design a new "even more accurate" version and start selling that. The first versions becomes very difficult to resell. If you wanted it for the accuracy, you will most likely want the newer one. So at this point you have bought two. Then guess what, there is a newer even more accurate one released. If they need to keep making these revisions, I question how much confidence there can be in the accuracy. It is difficult to design an exact replica just based on photos.

It may be that the claims of accuracy is based on their level of awareness. In the world of Vader, people can have accurate armor but not account for warpage where the helmet does not sit correctly on the armor, and the armor feels like it's sliding down your chest. Technically it's accurate in features, but there are other dimensions and vectors one must still consider.

Same with the material...the cheaper Anovos TFA -Trooperhelmet is more accurate as the fiberglassversion because the originals are also plastic.But the higher collectors value will have the fiberglassversion in the future.;)

I understand the TFA originals were polyurethane. I don't recall the source exactly. It may have been an article or one of the behind the scenes videos. I agreee that fiberglass does make it more desirable from a collectability standpoint.

Some of the licensed collectors won't even look at the accurate stuff, which the "rivet counters" are interested in buying. They are happy with their licensed stuff, like I said, with a nice edition plaque, shiny display case, and COAs. They want to play safe, and to be sure what they own holds value for resale. They are not even slightly interested in the idea of researching for a more accurate prop, or how that screen used prop was made in the first place. They might even consider the unlicensed stuff inferior, due to the lack of those shiny trinkets listed above and sometimes lack of limited edition. If you show them a good accurate fan made helmet, a nice blaster/lightsaber/prop made with original parts, or a true studio scale they simply don't connect with them the same some of us do. As for runs that are more or less accurate depending on when released, always do your research before buying something - and in the end this thing happens in licensed world as well, look at Hot Toys stuff for example and their "upgraded" later released collectibles.

We need to remember that the licensed props (and many collectibles in general too) are made in China many times by uninterested and underpaid workers, who don't know, neither care, what is that thing they are working on. On the other side most of the fan made items, besides being more accurate, are made by true talented artists who really care about the items they make to every minute detail, and even put a part of their soul in each of those props/collectibles they create.
In the end all this is fine by me. More good stuff to remain to the people who care about them.

I need to disagree with the statement "On the other side most of the fan made items, besides being more accurate, are made by true talented artists who really care about the items they make to every minute detail, and even put a part of their soul in each of those props/collectibles they create.". There are lots of fan made items that are obviously way off from the originals. Sometimes there is a fan made item that is more accurate than licensed, for other items there isn't.

Back when TFA came out, several people made Kylo Ren sabers based on photos. There was even a very expensive, well researched metal version. When one of the toy replicas was released, most people thought it was way too large. After the licensed PropShop Kylo saber was released, people realised the "too large" toy was actually more accurate as far as size than the extensively researched fan made replicas. Not being able to measure the actual props makes it really difficult to create a replica that is the correct size and dimensions. That is a very important aspect of creating an accurate replica.

A similar issue happened with the Resistance X-Wng pilot helmet. I bought a fan made replica because there were no licensed versions at the time. Now I won't be able to get any where near what I paid for it because it is way too small and more accurate versions are available. Lots of effort and research went into creating the replica, but it is still obviously off when compared to a replica that is the right size.

The OT props are usually easier to create accurate fan made replicas because some of the original props are in collectors hands. However, not everyone who creates a fan made version has access to an original prop. But even then there usually is access to a casting from a original source.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Seems I need to mention a couple things: first - I said "most of the fan made items", not all. And second - do not jump and buy immediately when someone says their stuff is the "best of the best" or something similar (this goes for EFX as well, look at the description of their PCR Stormie helmets...), wait for a while, and do your own research when buying stuff, read reviews, ask the people who know about stuff (RPF members, 501st etc.).

On the other side most of the fan made items, besides being more accurate, are made by true talented artists who really care about the items they make to every minute detail, and even put a part of their soul in each of those props/collectibles they create.

Ääh ... no. Some are, but not all.

In general it looks to that those people who make all the parts on their own are more carefull than those that just make the cad-work and then have them made by a shop. Some of them seem to have no clue how to make a proper QC when they get those machined parts in - or, even more worse, they don´t care as long as the stuff is sold. And then , out of nowhere, some new dimension pop up and they bring a new version.

But why should they care, the stupid masses buys the crap, and even praise them for their bad stuff, recommending them to newbies. It´s the same dumb fanbased argumentation as with the licensed stuff.

Ääh ... no. Some are, but not all.

In general it looks to that those people who make all the parts on their own are more carefull than those that just make the cad-work and then have them made by a shop. Some of them seem to have no clue how to make a proper QC when they get those machined parts in - or, even more worse, they don´t care as long as the stuff is sold. And then , out of nowhere, some new dimension pop up and they bring a new version.

But why should they care, the stupid masses buys the crap, and even praise them for their bad stuff, recommending them to newbies. It´s the same dumb fanbased argumentation as with the licensed stuff.

Then I guess I did a better research and bought better stuff, because I didn't encounter the problems you mention on my items.

If you buy from the RIGHT sources..fanmade stuff is better.But most is not really accurate.The best example is my fanmade ROTJ Revel Kit that I bought.(you can see the process in my thread here)I needed to rework the complete mask and really changed 95% of the parts to have it near accurate.But he is selling his masks over years..and the most buyers are happy with the stuff.So most of the fanmade stuff on ebay,etsy or other sources is not really accurate.They are only a handfull sources that you can buy from.And if UK is no longer in the EU next year its a higher risk about the customs to order for me there.:(

Then I guess I did a better research and bought better stuff, because I didn't encounter the problems you mention on my items.

For example Anakin Skywalker. His work is praised here over and over, that´s what you find when researching, but for me it is nothing better than what a machining apprentice would deliver.

I can only assume that the people who praise his items have low expectations in machined stuff, or they just don´t know it better and still cheer for something they can´t really judge.
No quality control and additional no existing customer care. And over the ocean you can´t do anything, he for sure knows you can´t do anything without losing more morey - might be better if the buyer is in the US.

I don´t think his developing work is bad, but his shop is bad. And as long as he stays with them i can´t understand people recommending his stuff, some even had the same defects as mine did, and still were glad. Thats stupid.

The answer is quite simple: those people didn't do their research properly regarding that particular prop. And, like you said, maybe they are indeed very easy to satisfy and have lower expectations that you an me would have. Remember there are people who are uber happy with the old F/X or even Rubies Stormie helmets. I keep showing them sites like www.starwarshelmets.com where Jez professionally describes all types of helmets, from screen used to licensed and fan made, and also try to steer them to RPF, PropDen, DentedHelmet or 501st (most members are friendly and eager to help if asked), but they don't care. I won't do the research for these people anymore, tried to help some and got labeled as "rivet counter" - a title I really enjoy :) - but this also means I let them do their own research, or if not, then let them buy crap, since is their money, not mine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back