Achieve "leather" look on stretch fabric

Huntey

Hi, I'm making a Deadpool costume, and for the red parts I'm gonna be using some kind of spandex fabric, but I want it look a little bit like leather. I've seen some people that use acrylic paint to achieve this look, but if I do this the fabric will not stretch anymore. Maybe I could use one layer of 3D fabric paint?.
I'm not going for a "full leather" look, I want a more matte finish than actual leather, but more glossy finish than the fabric itself.

P.S: If I do any grammar mistake, I'm sorry, the english it's not my native language :p.

I've recently gotten turned on to what's called 'high density' printing, which I believe is another type of 3D printing. The recent Daredevil costumes are examples of this technique. Sure fooled me - I would've sworn it was nylon or Kevlar!
d07c4ce023169b98b539b2d7ae648f78.jpg
327d958dc5d6d1405fede30989c967f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It looks awesome! The only problem is that it could be a little bit expensive for me, but maybe I'll use that technique in the future :D.

If it is sections of material and not the whole suit, you can make panels from a flexible polyurethane, let them cure, and then fuse them to the suit with more polyurethane. The stuff will penetrate the fabric weave and it adheres to itself (Room Temperature Vulcanizing). Once it has cured, you aint getting it off.

Silicone is another that works. It bites into the fibres and you never get that off. If you are really wanting the parts to flex, then go with silicone.

It's not going to be like, an exact replica of the movie suit, it's more a mix between different versions of the comic suit and adding some accents from the movie suit. What I'm gonna say with this, is that it doesn't need to have the same texture as in the movie, just the finish and the color on it. Still, thanks for the tips, maybe I'll be using some of them on a "v.2" of the suit :D.

You can paint silicone on with a brush if need be. All you need to get rid of bubbles is a way to change the air pressure. You can do this by blowing on it.

As for pigments, just be sure to add silicone pigments and not normal resin pigments.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone :D. I think that I already figured out how I'll make the texture.
I'll make the digital pattern for the fabric texture, and I'll try to find a screen printing local in my country that won't be too expensive, and I think that's pretty much it. To achieve the color I want, I'm planing on airbrushing, or just use a darker/purplish ink than the fabric color itself. And for the black parts I think that some stretch matte vinyl or faux leather will be enough.

Go check out "Dynamite Webber Cosplay" on Facebook, he took a printed suit and puff painted over and made the printed "texture" into actual texture, looks amazing imo. Here's a before and after of the puff paint:

FB_IMG_1494146603107.jpg

Looks AWESOME, I actually don't have any experience with puff paint, but I do have experience drawing so probably it will not be that hard to me to get a decent job.

Re: Achieve "leather" look on stretch fabric

I just have one question: Did you use the templates for screen printing or did you just put the templates over the lycra and paint over it?.
template over lycra big splash of paint that I then smooth out with a credit card to get a consistent thickness

- - - Updated - - -

Awesoma job! I actually like both red and black fabrics from the Daredevil suit.

cheers im planning to also make a shadowland varient just working on the pattern then i can begin

template over lycra big splash of paint that I then smooth out with a credit card to get a consistent thickness

- - - Updated - - -

cheers im planning to also make a shadowland varient just working on the pattern then i can begin

Great! It sounds like a pretty good and affordable alternative for screen print.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back