Han Solo ANH - 'trash compactor escape' [kid costume]

Jaffa007

My Son's Han Solo costume.
Han solo - death star escape 3.jpg
He originally wanted a proper Stormtrooper costume (lol, not a kids onesie), my Son is 11, but managed to talk him out of it, him growing v the actual number of times he'd wear it v how long he'd actually wear it, once on at an event lol. Suggested Han Solo.......received the 'that's not what I wanted' look. Then I added the Stormtrooper belt idea, re: the escape from the trash compactor. This look was 'Dad your fantastic' lol, and the story begins.

Am handy with tools etc but I've not touched a sowing machine since I was bout 11. A friend who I've made stuff for in the past offered to help. So she's made a template for the Vest from a waistcoat of my Son's and is going to show/help/teach me how to sow with a machine.

I'll be using my own Trooper belt, will need a new rear piece to suit his waist. Trousers (bought & to be modified) & Boots also needed. And am at present making him a robust E-11 Blaster.

I'll be posting up progress pics etc in this thread & also on my own Blog R5-D4 Astromech Droid

The aim is to be as accurate as possible, been reading up on all the posts, pics etc. But at the same time, this has to be fairly practical/comfortable/wearable for him.
But most of all FUN for him :)

So after Son was measured up, my friend Karen got with the template for the Vest.
We then got together with her sewing machine and after some test stitching, I was passed for competance lol. So I cut out the three main pieces and loose stitched them together. A test fit on him, showed we needed to bring in the sides and also the fit at the waist. Once this was done, on went the proper stitching. I did however get a bit carried away on the neck stitching, the shoulder doesn't sit right on the right side in pic. So this needs to be corrected.
Jacob's Han Solo vest - IMG_3640.JPG

Next thing I got started on was the pockets. Using the really helpful info, and reading up on all the other Vest thread's, I measured up and adjusted some of the sizes to best suit Jay's Vest. The width's of the pockets didn't need that much reducing to be fare, just the length's, especially the two lower ones. The upper template one's were positioned as best as possible with relation to the lower edge of the curve to the position of the arm hole opening. Leaving space for the upper breast across stitch.
Jacob's Han Solo vest [pockets] - IMG_3666.JPGJacob's Han Solo vest [pockets] - IMG_3664.JPG

I'm going for the billowed pocket look, so proper templates were made and material cut out. This is as far as I've got.
Jacob's Han Solo vest [pockets] - WP_003942.jpg

Hopefully, the weekend I'll get some time to sew these up and onto the Vest.

The plan is to have this all done ready for Celebration Europe, when my Son will be joining me on the Sunday, where we'll hopefully be all on the R2-D2 Builders stand.

So my friend brought over her sewing machine last night As I wanted to see if my notching of the pocket templates would work in real life :lol.
Hemmed all the edges of the pockets, folded crease lines and ironed them. Then started to sew them on. First I drew on the stitch lines as a guide for the top pockets. Then I pinned into position and started to sew. Another four hours work, but now I have something to show for it lol. Whilst I was hemming edges on the sewing machine, Karen help unpick the neck stitching that I'd gone to far along with..... :facepalm
Jacob's Han Solo vest [pockets] - IMG_3674.JPGJacob's Han Solo vest [pockets] - IMG_3673.JPGJacob's Han Solo vest [pockets] - IMG_3672.JPG
Looking at the bottom pocket, I was thinking it was a bit low.....?? But I do still have the pocket flap to sew on yet.
The inside edges of the corners need one or two stitches to help 'pinch' them a bit more, but I may just be getting picky now :D.

My 'assistant' :D Karen suggested the other day about using fabric stiffener for the pocket flaps. To help keep there shape.
Jacob's Han Solo vest [pocket flaps] - IMG_3683.JPG

She had some already, cut it to the flap sizes, hem material was folded over and ironed to help it stay flat & then sewn inside of hem flap edges.
Jacob's Han Solo vest [pocket flaps] - IMG_3686.JPG Jacob's Han Solo vest [pocket flaps] - IMG_3685.JPG Jacob's Han Solo vest [pocket flaps] - IMG_3684.JPG Jacob's Han Solo vest [pocket flaps] - IMG_3687.JPG
Front three done, Sunday night.
Hope to get some free time (kids lol) tonight to do some more work.

Last night's work consisted of adding lining to the two pocket flaps and stitching them and the two pockets onto the Vest.
Jacob's Han Solo vest [pocket] - IMG_3696.JPGJacob's Han Solo vest [pocket] - IMG_3694.JPGJacob's Han Solo vest [pocket] - IMG_3692.JPGJacob's Han Solo vest [pocket flaps] - IMG_3693.JPG
This all took about three hours, which seem's a long time, but there is a lot involved and am still learning. Also the thread kept breaking, which meant having to re-do some of the stitching.

Not been able to do much last few weeks due to wife's illness, so no free/spare time.

I did manage to find some suitable trousers tho. They are Chino, so soft material, wearable all day and cool [for when there's hot weather lol]. They came with a twist tho.....a twisted seam! Luckily this doesn't start till below the knee and once boot's are on, it shouldn't be to noticeable.
Jacob's Han Solo trousers - IMG_3765.PNG Jacob's Han Solo trousers [seam line] - IMG_3766.png
I've drawn on in yellow, where the seam line twists. The front pockets aren't correct, but once the ammo belt and drop boxes are worn these shouldn't be to visible. Plus if he needs to use them they are easier then top opening pockets that would be obstructed by the belt.
Also the fake rear pocket buttons, once removed, don't have any openings.
Jacob's Han Solo trousers [buttons] - IMG_3767.png

The turn ups will be removed and am planning on adding stirrups too. Next is 'Blood Stripes'.

One of my original concerns [years ago] was the cost and also finding Boot's suitable for this outfit! Thankfully eBay & second hand searching came up trumps! lol. Again, not 100% accurate, but close enough to get the right look. These only cost £10 in total, inc P&P. At this price, I can live with the fact he'll probably only wear them about half dozen times before he grows out of them. And then I can sell them on and buy bigger, if he decides to carry on wearing the outfit.
Jacob's Han Solo boots - IMG_3792.PNGJacob's Han Solo boots - IMG_3791.PNG

Wife is hopefully on the mend so should be back to working on this all soon.

Been a while since last update [family health issues etc] but this week I managed to get back into the swing & with only weeks left before Celebration Europe, I need too get this outfit finished.

So the rear pocket was already cut out, it just needed a sewn hem, folded and then machine sewn onto Vest.
Jacob's Han Solo vest [rear pocket] - WP_004366.jpg
A hand sewn stitch was added to the top opening edges of the pockets to help keep them flat. This also helped the stiffened flap stay down.
Jacob's Han Solo vest [rear pocket] - WP_004365.jpg

Next was seam lines along the upper chest and around the lower edge of the Vest.
Jacob's Han Solo vest [seam lines] - WP_004364.jpg

And lastly, the four rear loops. Three had to be cut and hemmed. Positions placed and spaced and then machine sewn on.
Jacob's Han Solo vest [rear loops] - WP_004368.jpgJacob's Han Solo vest [rear loops] - WP_004369.jpg

Next week the plan is to sort out the lining for the vest and a few minor detail stitching.

Only the Blood strips & shirt to sort.
The blaster & rear section of the stormtrooper belt are also WIP's, will post up pics soon.

With only a week and a half to go before Celebration weekend, time is short for work needed to complete this. But I WILL get it done, for my Son :cool.
Last few evenings have been stitching in the Vest lining & neck hemline.
Still need to sort out stitching the arm holes, but almost complete.....tonight, hopefully.

My friend Karen, who's been mentoring my sewing, lol, will be picking up the shirt material, and belt fabric for the Stormtrooper wrap around part, and also the material for stitching on the red blood stripes. Boot straps also for the trousers will be added too.

I just need to finish off the simple/drop proof E-11 blaster for him as well. That's just spray painting and re-assembling that's needed.
Pics soon.

So, update on work done...

Vest lining sewn in. This was a real nightmare as with hindsight, the lining would of been best stitched onto each panel first and THEN the front to rear panels sewn together lol. Still, I managed it (under supervision)
View attachment 640441View attachment 640442View attachment 640443 [messed up the attachments]

This took ages to finish off, done over two nights.

Also sorted out the rear neck hem that I messed up at the start of sewing, months ago.
View attachment 640444

Saturday, my friend Karen, picked up new material for the shirt, and for the Stormtrooper belt..
Sunday night was cutting this to length, doubled it over and applied stiffener inside to give it extra strength.
Jacob's Han Solo [trooper belt, white] - WP_004423.jpgJacob's Han Solo [trooper belt, white] - WP_004424.jpg
Trial fitting of this will determine where the poppers will go. (this is for a child to be able to wear & dress himself, so obviously NOT 100% screen accurate, but close enough)

With time to spare, the next thing to do was to measure out the red ribbon for the blood stripes & mark on the trousers the spacing.
The length of the trousers can be shortened a lot and the stripes are only going to be just below the level of the boots.

Attachments

• Jacob's Han Solo vest [lining] - WP_004393.jpg
    Jacob's Han Solo vest [lining] - WP_004393.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Jacob's Han Solo vest [lining] - WP_004395.jpg
    Jacob's Han Solo vest [lining] - WP_004395.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Jacob's Han Solo vest [lining] - WP_004396.jpg
    Jacob's Han Solo vest [lining] - WP_004396.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Jacob's Han Solo vest [neck] - WP_004407.jpg
    Jacob's Han Solo vest [neck] - WP_004407.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 97
What a nightmare sewing on these Blood stripes!! :(

Should of used the first width option material, but time was against so went with width material we bad bought. Folded it over, stitched the ends and then hand stitched/machine stitched them onto the trousers. Three hours and I'd had enough lol. Still have five more to do on first leg, still got the other leg to do yet.
Jacob's Han Solo trousers - WP_004426.jpg
Thankfully, only sowing these on to just below the boot line ;)

This is fantastic, exactly what I was looking for for a quick outfit it time for halloween! Watching this with great interest :)

Will you be making the belt, holster & blaster?

Will you be making the belt, holster & blaster?

No, I won't be making Han's DL-44, or his holster, as in the scene look I'm going for, he dosn't have these on. Just a trooper belt (which I already have) and an E-11, which I've almost finished making. It's a child drop proof version.....I hope lol
Jacob's E-11 - IMG_3611.JPG Jacob's E-11 M38 scope - WP_003915.jpgJacob's E-11 scope rail - WP_003934.jpg

Am glad that this will be of use to your own project :)

No, I won't be making Han's DL-44, or his holster, as in the scene look I'm going for, he dosn't have these on. Just a trooper belt (which I already have) and an E-11, which I've almost finished making. It's a child drop proof version.....I hope lol
View attachment 642061 View attachment 642062View attachment 642063

Am glad that this will be of use to your own project :)

Sorry, I meant the Stormtrooper belt, which you managed to answer as well!!!

Loving the E-11! - Ended up just painting a toy version (not the same as building your own!!)

I originally looked at buying a second hand blaster to just spray up, but even second hand were expensive [this IS a budget build], so since I've made two prev E-11, I knew I could make one strong enough and cheaply enough using material I had in my garage etc. :cool :thumbsup

I did look at getting a trooper belt for him, but again, the cost v how often he will actually wear it, it was easier & cheaper to custom fit mine belt to fit him.

I originally looked at buying a second hand blaster to just spray up, but even second hand were expensive [this IS a budget build], so since I've made two prev E-11, I knew I could make one strong enough and cheaply enough using material I had in my garage etc. :cool :thumbsup

I did look at getting a trooper belt for him, but again, the cost v how often he will actually wear it, it was easier & cheaper to custom fit mine belt to fit him.

Looking great, can't wait to see it all come together!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back