Ikea detolf display case- weight limit?

DARTH SABER

Master Member
So i picked up a couple of Detolf display cases from Ikea to display some of my sabers.

I have a 4 tier actilic lightsaber stand that i plan to put on one of the glass shelves.
It holds a graflex, an MPP, a Luke ROTJ hero and an ANH obi wan.

Now the graflex and MPP are no problem but the other two are pretty weighty.
With all the sabers on the stand its oretty hefty.
It says on the Ikea site that each shelf can hokd 8lbs.

I dont know what the average weight of the Obi Wan and Luke ROTJ, which makes it hard to determine the full weight.

Any thoughts?

I think a set of four sabers or more is ok for the absolutely worldwide best seller ikea detolf, probably platine diamond disc now...

The 8 lbs test is done with a single point/weight machine: that single point is pressing in the middle of the glass shelve :rolleyes Of course, a better approach would be to distribute evenly, more or less, the weight on the shelves. That's why, some of our members have mentioned greater weights being used. Your light sabers are fine:)

If you haven't already, take the time to dust-proof your Detolf. It's well worth it!

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2016/02/tutorial-how-to-dust-proof-your-detolf.html

Wow, thanks fot the tip, Coop!

Anyhow just to give you guys an idea of the lightsaber stand in question-

BFD10CAA-D68F-47CD-8682-7FBC2925D90E_zpsz1ffsgww.png

Also just foubd out that the Dioder LED color strips from Ikea have been discontinued. :/

I have these same exact cases. I love them! I have my V2, TFA Luke and romans obiwan on 1 shelf. I'm a little scared when I added the romans.

But nothing has happened yet. I was even debating on having sheets cut of Lexan and replacing the glass

But the glass has held up fine so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have these same exact cases. I love them! I have my V2, TFA Luke and romans obiwan on 1 shelf. I'm a little scared when I added the romans.

But nothing has happened yet. I was even debating on having sheets cut of Lexan and replacing the glass

But the glass has held up fine so far

I hear ya.

Next on the shelf may be my ESB Han blaster and my ANH Greedo Killer blaster...that one is prettt heavy.

May have to order a couple more plexi.

I have doubled the glassshelfs in the Detholfs for props with more weight.
@Coop:Great tip..thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya.

Next on the shelf may be my ESB Han blaster and my ANH Greedo Killer blaster...that one is prettt heavy.

May have to order a couple more plexi.

I totally forgot about that! Yes I have that on the second level. Denix, brass scope, all metal parts... defiantly don't want anything to fall.

I have a metal collet used for the Star destroyer capacitor from TFA on the 3rd shelf and that's scary too putting it down... that's why I looked into lexan

It's the plastic glass we use in the race cars. Only thing is it scratches VERY easy

I totally forgot about that! Yes I have that on the second level. Denix, brass scope, all metal parts... defiantly don't want anything to fall.

I have a metal collet used for the Star destroyer capacitor from TFA on the 3rd shelf and that's scary too putting it down... that's why I looked into lexan

It's the plastic glass we use in the race cars. Only thing is it scratches VERY easy

Felt pads, no?

Very possible, I have some RV lights I need to mount to the top. I figure with the more pads the less light will reach the bottom.

I had a little TFA tribute on one shelf and had some cloth over some styrofoam blocks to make shelfs and display each item on different levels.

It was nice but blocked why too much light. Now once I get back on my feet I'm just going to start collecting acrylic displays to display the props

Very possible, I have some RV lights I need to mount to the top. I figure with the more pads the less light will reach the bottom.

I had a little TFA tribute on one shelf and had some cloth over some styrofoam blocks to make shelfs and display each item on different levels.

It was nice but blocked why too much light. Now once I get back on my feet I'm just going to start collecting acrylic displays to display the props

Have you tried lights under each shelf so you dont have yo rely on one light at the top?

I just picked up some remote control puck lights that can be taped under eay shelf.
The lights are pretty awesome.
They can be set on a timer and , brightness options.

Have you tried lights under each shelf so you dont have yo rely on one light at the top?

I just picked up some remote control puck lights that can be taped under eay shelf.
The lights are pretty awesome.
They can be set on a timer and , brightness options.

Any chance u can snap me a picture?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back