robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (Update: 15th Dec 2020)

Re: robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (Pic Heavy)

It's Phthalo Green, the brand is Derivan Artist Acrylic, which is an Australian brand so your mileage may vary. One thing I will say though, is that Phthalo Green is a bit of a crapshoot in getting a consistent colour, everyone seems to have a different idea of what it is.

Point in fact for that is I initially bought the 'student acrylic' phthalo from derivan, and it's a completely different green (and wasn't permanent)

So yeah, phthalo has the nice teal-y look to it I was after, but you'll have to do tests to find a specific shade you like

Thank you! Phthalo green is one of the greens I was planning to test, so it seems I'm on the right track, as your's looks pretty much spot on! :)

Seems Derivan paint isn't readily available in the UK, so it looks like i'm going to have to find an equivalent.

Also, you mention some paint options not being permanent. I'm looking mostly at Liquitex acrylics and some are labelled permanent and some not. They're all rated good for lightfastness, which is anti-fading pigment, but i'm not sure if that's the same thing as permanence. Any idea what might happen if I use a 'non-permanent' paint instead?

Last edited:

Thank you! Phthalo green is one of the greens I was planning to test, so it seems I'm on the right track, as your's looks pretty much spot on! :)

Seems Derivan paint isn't readily available in the UK, so it looks like i'm going to have to find an equivalent.

Also, you mention some paint options not being permanent. I'm looking mostly at Liquitex acrylics and some are labelled permanent and some not. They're all rated good for lightfastness, which is anti-fading pigment, but i'm not sure if that's the same thing as permanence. Any idea what might happen if I use a 'non-permanent' paint instead?

Yeah you'll be fine with all the liquitex stuff. The non-permanent issue I was having was with the 'student' acrylic from Derivan that I bought accidentally. Turns out it's not really rated for any sort of lightfastness, permanence or anything. When the fabric got wet, even with the fabric medium in it, it just rubbed off. The Derivan 'Artist' acrylic, however, is rated for all that stuff and seems to work really well.

robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (painting breakthrough pg 2!)

Somebody mentioned you selling the pattern, I second that. If you sold it on Etsy as a digital download. I can see myself easily paying $40-$50 for it. I made my own pattern for mine but not quite as impressed with my skills as yours.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Re: robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (painting breakthrough pg 2!)

Been making some real good progress the last couple of days:

- went over 100 hours total for the build (at 108 as of today)
- finished the pockets
- assembled the body shell for coat A, will be adding the arms and doing coat B's tomorrow

here's a few shots:

YsQKucO.jpg

That bottom shot of the arm pinned in is really satisfying to me. I've never had a sleeve go in so easily...very happy with it..

It really feels like I'm in the home stretch now. What once was nearly 200 bits of material is close to being one thing (well...two things)...and that feels really good (unlike my back...which does not...)

Last edited:
Re: robo3687's Officer K Coat Build - Blade Runner 2049 (painting breakthrough pg 2!)

I was thinking in use this
center_Main_NonRemovable_341x280.jpg
I'm not sure about it, there is satin, gloss or high gloss. I'm in between of satin and gloss.
Another concern is how much darkens the fabric colour. I'm not going to paint it, I'll go with zlurpo's original colour, for that reason I'm thinking in only aply varnish.
I'm only searching for that shine you comented. I do not mina about the watherproofing.

View attachment 797957
I'm not sure about it, there is satin, gloss or high gloss. I'm in between of satin and gloss.
Another concern is how much darkens the fabric colour. I'm not going to paint it, I'll go with zlurpo's original colour, for that reason I'm thinking in only aply varnish.
I'm only searching for that shine you comented. I do not mina about the watherproofing.

i tried the satin version and wasn't happy with the results. it stiffened the fabric too much and like you said it darkened the colour (and not in any sort of consistent way). My current method, posted above, doesn't use a second coat at all.

you might be able to do a watered down mix of liquitex fabric medium and liquitex gloss gel medium (essentially my mix without the paint). You'd have to test it though, but in theory it should buff up like my mix does...

This is really looking great. Thank you for posting your progress, it has been very helpful.

Yeah you'll be fine with all the liquitex stuff. The non-permanent issue I was having was with the 'student' acrylic from Derivan that I bought accidentally. Turns out it's not really rated for any sort of lightfastness, permanence or anything. When the fabric got wet, even with the fabric medium in it, it just rubbed off. The Derivan 'Artist' acrylic, however, is rated for all that stuff and seems to work really well.

Thankyou. This gives me a bit more confidence. If there's one thing that confuses me, it's all the subtle differences in properties of the hundreds of different paint options out there.

View attachment 797957

I've got a bottle of matt, satin and gloss ready and waiting. Once my paints arrive, i'll be testing all three varnishes on top of the paint and sharing the results. I'm concerned - as Robo3687 mentions - that it will stiffen the material and darken the color too much, but i'm hoping with some experimentation there might be a way around this. If you can hold out for my testing that is.
As for painting on the fabric directly without a layer of paint underneath, Liquitex support told me directly this was 'not advised.' So I don't know how well the varnish will take to the material without paint underneath. But then, I highly doubt they will have tested this themselves, so maybe worth a try.

exciting things happening today (and slightly ahead of schedule too). Might be some interesting pics in a few hours...

I really love this progress! I've been procrastinating on mine so I'll sit back for a bit and procrastinate some more now that this thread is up ;)

both arms on! and the lining clipped in for effect. This is also closed up the front with the magnets which are all sewn into their own support layers to make sure they all match up and register properly.

yhEesEb.png

one shoulder pad on! (only one...it was a slow process, will likely do one a day)

NrKmcuP.png

and i know what you're all thinking...does it fit? yes...yes it does...and I forgot to take pictures...

Thanks robo and hall for your tips. Hall keep me posted. I did'nt know they advice against aply the varnish in a unpainted surface, that make me have second thoughts. Zlurpo's coat was dyed, but dont know how.
By the way, I Just remember somebody told me that its not recomended dilute liquitex.

I Just remember somebody told me that its not recomended dilute liquitex.

That's right. I'm sure diluted varnish would still apply, but supposedly diluting it will mess with it's waterproof and permanent properties, so maybe not a deal breaker if going for accuracy. I'll let you know how I get on.

Some serious skills, man. The seams are perfect :thumbsup

okay, things are rolling along now, though I'm at a weird point in the build. I'd been making both coats at the same time, but as things have neared the end I've just been focusing on coat A. Part of that is because coat B is a gift, I want it to be perfect and I don't want to mess both up at the same time. I'd rather work out the whole process of finishing coat A and glide through the finishing of coat B.

That said, on coat A here's where things are at:

- both shoulders are on
- I still need to attach one sleeve lining to its lining, and join both halves of the lining.
- i then need to attach the short collar facing to the lining (more on the 'short collar' in a sec)
- i also need to attach a pair of facings along the bottom edge of the shell (that get hidden by the folded over lining)
- at that point, I think I'll ready to close it all up.
- then I can move onto assembling Coat B.

after that, I need to make the fur collars for both coats (still waiting on some hardware to arrive for those, so I'm leaving them till last), and sew them on. Then painting, buffing and they'll be done.

now...the short collar. When I was looking into the collar I was wondering about ways to get it to stand up properly, and I thought I'd do some sort of inner, support collar to help strengthen the main collar. Then I came across this photo, and it looks like the actual coat has such a 'short collar', so I was on the right track.

2ESYG1o.jpg

You can see where the topstitching turns 90 degrees to head up under the main collar and you can see the edge of it through the outside of the main collar. You can also see the edge of it from the back when K's at Sapper's at the start of the film.

Eox9vVJ.png

as always, stay tuned for updates...

i tried the satin version and wasn't happy with the results. it stiffened the fabric too much and like you said it darkened the colour (and not in any sort of consistent way). My current method, posted above, doesn't use a second coat at all.

you might be able to do a watered down mix of liquitex fabric medium and liquitex gloss gel medium (essentially my mix without the paint). You'd have to test it though, but in theory it should buff up like my mix does...

Build is looking great so far. Interested to see how you tackle the full paint application.

So I tested with the paint and varnishes today (I hope I'm not thread hijacking, but this might answer a couple questions asked in here)

IMG_20180228_001045.jpg

The paint and medium on its own looks alright. I'm happy with that color.

I'm in agreement with robo3687 about the varnish though. It looks pretty awful in any variation. It dulls the color, adds a 'wet look' shine, and it's fairly patchy and inconsistent. No idea why the satin came up more glossy than the gloss, but there it is.

So I think i'm abandoning the varnish plan and leaning more towards your method.

Interestingly a two coat application of the paint/medium also takes on the the same murky, semi-gloss shine. I don't know if this is because I didn't wait long enough for the second application (it was 4-5 hours between coats) but i guess this also means two coats will be out of the question aswell.

I'm wondering what might happen mixing the matte gel medium instead of the gloss gel? It'll still have a matte shine and it should add a lightening, more translucent quality to the paint. I think I might experiment with that next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hall86: did you water your mix down at all? I watered mine down a fair bit which helped it soak into the fabric. I also only did the one coat on my test.

did you try buffing your 1:1 patch with a coffee mug? (I love how ridiculous that suggestion sounds)

Last edited by a moderator:

oh hey, look what I found....

M3Fvz2z.png

I've still got to do all the topstitching around the outside edges, and the collar...and painting it...but it's still very cool to see it as a single object now after being so many pieces to start with....

I'll get some pics of it on once I have the topstitching done (in the next day or so)

@Hall86: did you water your mix down at all? I watered mine down a fair bit which helped it soak into the fabric. I also only did the one coat on my test.

did you try buffing your 1:1 patch with a coffee mug? (I love how ridiculous that suggestion sounds)

No watering down but then my paint is a soft body and is supposed to be applied to fabric as is. I believe the derivan acrylic plus the gel makes yours a much thicker, heavy body type paint (I think) which would definitely need watering down.

Just tried the buffing but nothing. I think it's the the gloss gel specifically which is giving you that effect.

At this point, I either try importing a tub of Derivan Phthalo Green and replicate your process exactly, or keep testing using different liquitex mediums. Whichever will be less cost prohibitive I'm thinking.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back