Solo: A Star Wars Story

That's true, there *is* so much more. But this was a shocking admission to read--that you thought that gag was funny, was befitting the moment, and befitting a Star Wars movie. You're the very first person I heard comment that they liked that gag.

I'm nonplussed.

The Wook

Meh, to me the moment was just another play on phone tropes... no different than Han pretending “all is good” like a teen on the phone trying to convince their parents that they’re not throwing a party while they’re away.

and I’ll straight up say I chuckled and thought Poe sold the joke.

Gleeson played it like his brother Ron Weasely and was out of character. All while standing next to Ade Edmundson, a comedy master playing it straight. The acting was laughable but the so called joke wasn't. 'Leia has a message about your mother' ???? WTF. Contemporary smart ass 'jokes' have no place in the SW universe. It was ill thought out, badly placed, betrayed the seriousness of the situation and set the tone for whole the movie ahead. In no way at all can it be compared to the 'we're fine, we're all fine here' moment. Han is trying to delay the inevitable descent of troops on the cell block. Poe is being a smart ass, winding up Hux.
StarWars should not contain comedy. Natural humour is fine.

Gleeson played it like his brother Ron Weasely and was out of character. All while standing next to Ade Edmundson, a comedy master playing it straight. The acting was laughable but the so called joke wasn't. 'Leia has a message about your mother' ???? WTF. Contemporary smart ass 'jokes' have no place in the SW universe. It was ill thought out, badly placed, betrayed the seriousness of the situation and set the tone for whole the movie ahead. In no way at all can it be compared to the 'we're fine, we're all fine here' moment. Han is trying to delay the inevitable descent of troops on the cell block. Poe is being a smart ass, winding up Hux.

Yep, I knew I was in for a crap 2 1/2 ride after that 'joke' landed. What idiots greenlit that!

Nailed it bro. I'll buy you a beer for that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jar-Jar was the worst of this. Forced humor.

Ewoks stepped over the line a little with their cutesy humor as did the Porgs.

R2 & 3PO are ment to be comic relief and for the most part hit the nail on the head at the right moments in the OT, especially ANH, which established them as a bickering duo and R2 as a McGuffin.

BB8 was good in TFA i thought but started to get abused in TLJ.

R1 had K2S0 and I thought was done brilliantly! Maybe it's the actor who makes such a difference?

S0L0 will have a new droid supporting character, hoping for the best. From what little previews we've seen she will have a unique personality.

OK, changing the subject a little.

Each film's title is used as an acronym in discussions and are pretty convenient to type:

ANH
ESB
ROTJ

TPM
AOTC
ROTS

TFA
TJL

R1

What are we gonna do for SOLO? It's already a short 4 letters :), how do we make it better?

S070 ?

SLO ?

SOL ? (aka, Ship Out of Luck)

eh gads, I hope the movie doesn't wind up being called SO-SO SOLO...

Someone else said this, and i agree, that Alden looks more like Ray Liotta than Harrison Ford.

View attachment 794344

View attachment 794345

Whereas here is Ingruber with Ford side by side.
Not sure what Disney was thinking, but it certainly wasn't thinking about giving a more familiar look to Han Solo by choosing Alden, with the aim of making you actually believe the actor is a younger version.

View attachment 794346

let's see what Ronnnie Howard has salvaged from this movie.

Alden does not look a thing like Ray Liotta. Where in the hell did you come up with that one?

- - - Updated - - -

OK, changing the subject a little.

Each film's title is used as an acronym in discussions and are pretty convenient to type:

ANH
ESB
ROTJ

TPM
AOTC
ROTS

TFA
TJL

R1

What are we gonna do for SOLO? It's already a short 4 letters :), how do we make it better?

S070 ?

SLO ?

SOL ? (aka, Ship Out of Luck)

eh gads, I hope the movie doesn't wind up being called SO-SO SOLO...

Um, just call it Solo. Your post is a very frivolous one.

Greenie, thanks for sparing me from replying to @NeoRutty. Your high-SWIQ response to the absurd equivalency he was attempting to draw, took the words right out of my mouth--and most assuredly, shut his.

Yep, I knew I was in for a crap 2 1/2 ride after that 'joke' landed. What idiots greenlit that!

Probably, everyone at Disney who saw it gave an enthusiastic thumbs-up. The entire team appears to be a collection of groupthink, low-SWIQ hacks.

I'm pretty sure it will be referenced simply as Solo.

I agree with you, Funky, only it's gotta be all caps, brother, to distinguish it from referencing the character. For instance:

Solo = the character Han Solo
SOLO = the movie about Han Solo

The Wook

Or maybe we realize there is no use in trying to have an actual discussion with someone like you.

And where is your outrage when Bryancd et. al. complain non-stop about members criticizing their precious Disney Star Wars movies?

Where were you when he and his ilk routinely push for censorship on the site by suggesting members get banned for posting their opinions which deviate from their own, and decrying members for judging movies before they come out, and bitchin and moaning that we're raining on their parade (as if they own this site)?

You sit by silently...ACTUALLY, WAIT...you ARE one of his ilk who's played the victim and pushed for censorship.

So spare us the faux outrage, you...you...FIFTEEN year old!

The Wook

Nailed it.

And where is your outrage when Bryancd et. al. complain non-stop about members criticizing their precious Disney Star Wars movies?

Where were you when he and his ilk routinely push for censorship on the site by suggesting members get banned for posting their opinions which deviate from their own, and decrying members for judging movies before they come out, and bitchin and moaning that we're raining on their parade (as if they own this site)?

You sit by silently...ACTUALLY, WAIT...you ARE one of his ilk who's played the victim and pushed for censorship.

So spare us the faux outrage, you...you...FIFTEEN year old!

The Wook

Actually I've stoped commenting because I realized it is no use. I don't want to get involved in insult battles. I just wanna to discuss stuff I love in a respectful way, I guess the rpf just isnt a place to do that.

P.S. I'm not "outraged," I frankly just don't want to waste my time any more talking to people like you, wook.

Actually I've stopped commenting.

Is that right? LOL I hadn't noticed.

Suit yourself, pal. But let me give you some advice, since you claim to be just 15 years old. The world has billions of people, who hold a wide variety of opinions, attitudes and beliefs. Opinions, attitudes and beliefs that they feel very passionately about, and share freely. I can see from where you live that you've been sheltered from virtually all of that. But I can promise you, there is life outside the feminist bookstore in Portland, and if you can summon the courage to venture away from that comfort zone, you'll find the world is a lot more interesting place than the small, echo-chamber one you know. Embrace diversity--and not just diversity of thought, but diversity of how people express themselves. Toughen up, grow some thicker skin, and you'll find your way.

The Wook

. Embrace diversity--and not just diversity of thought, but diversity of how people express themselves.

The Wook
Since those are your words, shouldn't you be able to let people like a star wars movie without insulting and talking down to them.

P.S. I do agree with most of the last post you made, wook

Last edited:
Is that right? LOL I hadn't noticed.

Suit yourself, pal. But let me give you some advice, since you claim to be just 15 years old. The world has billions of people, who hold a wide variety of opinions, attitudes and beliefs. Opinions, attitudes and beliefs that they feel very passionately about, and share freely. I can see from where you live that you've been sheltered from virtually all of that. But I can promise you, there is life outside the feminist bookstore in Portland, and if you can summon the courage to venture away from that comfort zone, you'll find the world is a lot more interesting place than the small, echo-chamber one you know. Embrace diversity--and not just diversity of thought, but diversity of how people express themselves. Toughen up, grow some thicker skin, and you'll find your way.

The Wook

This is really weird. My onboard irony-detector just exploded.

Since those are your words, shouldn't you be able to let people like a star wars movie without insulting and talking down to them.

P.S. I do agree with most of the last post you made, wook

Don't you see how selective you are? When I rip on a Disney SW movie and Bryancd responds by saying I am a man with serious anger issues, where are you? You don't post, "Hey Bryan, can't you just let The Wook rip the film if he thinks it's low-SWIQ garbage, without insulting him?". No, you're silent. You're silent because you agree with him and disagree with me.

Well, when you play with a double standard like that, observers catch on, and learn to dismiss your posts due to your prejudice.

The Wook

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back