Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

Good news...
...I found the perfect band.

Bad news...
...I FOUND the perfect band.

I was walking around the Daytona 500's Fan Zone in the track infield. I was throwing away my sandwich wrapper when I saw the band laying on the ground near the trash can. I wonder if it was binding together some equipment or other supplies. I do not know but I wish there was another one laying around because I would love to have two of these.

Pictured on the bottom of the group.

IMG_0366.jpg

Good news...
...I found the perfect band.

Bad news...
...I FOUND the perfect band.

I was walking around the Daytona 500's Fan Zone in the track infield. I was throwing away my sandwich wrapper when I saw the band laying on the ground near the trash can. I wonder if it was binding together some equipment or other supplies. I do not know but I wish there was another one laying around because I would love to have two of these.

Pictured on the bottom of the group.

View attachment 711651
Damn!! That IS the perfect band.... Im gonna go walk through Ally's and stalk the tracks now... [emoji38]

Alex, I can't say I believe it's ANY kind of automotive belt. I've grown up around race cars my whole life, been in and out of the mechanics trade and I've never seen a belt close to that. Here is another pic stolen from Star Wars.com

f2b703247a27595ea8c95e0bfd07c48e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some research and found many m1 replica sites using "inner tubes" cut down to put around the helmet. I'm going to grab a 700 29x5/8 tube and cut it down. Leaving the seam in the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked into automotive belts a little while back. Most of them were too big and/or they had the teeth on the back. I think vacuum cleaner belts would be too small.
Hmmmmm.... I'll take your word for it. Havnt been too interested in cars at any point in my life. My mom owns a cleaning business and asked me "why the hell are they wearing vacuum cleaner belts on there heads?" The problem is that there is also an obvious bevel in the middle of the band... Looking for something with the bevel

Hmmmmm.... I'll take your word for it. Havnt been too interested in cars at any point in my life. My mom owns a cleaning business and asked me "why the hell are they wearing vacuum cleaner belts on there heads?" The problem is that there is also an obvious bevel in the middle of the band... Looking for something with the bevel

I am not a big automotive guy either. I just happen to notice that the teeth in the back seemed common among the selection.

However there are a lot of other motors out their other than cars such as go karts, lawnmowers, golf carts, etc. Maybe something has the right size and no teeth out there.

Last edited:
I am not a big automotive guy either. I just happen to nice that the teeth in the back seemed common among the selection.

However there are a lot of other motors out their other than cars such as go karts, lawnmowers, golf carts, etc. Maybe something has the right size and no teeth out there.
Maybe. I will still look because maybe I'll find something... Maybe not. As long as we have.fun doing it we should be good right?;)

So this may be a silly question, but is there a technique or tutorial for fitting the fabric cover to the helmet? Is it pinned or just pressure fit, etc?
I did one a week or so ago... I used rubber cement on the lower lip of the helmet, under the brim, and while that was drying I pressure taped the cover to the inside of the helm. Seems to work for me

So this may be a silly question, but is there a technique or tutorial for fitting the fabric cover to the helmet? Is it pinned or just pressure fit, etc?

Look on the inside of the fabric there should be a letter "B" on the back (match that to the back of your helmet).

you will need to pull the fabric over the helmet keeping it fairly centered.

on each side of the fabric there are button holes thread a chin strap through each side this will center the fabric over the helmet making the ribbed section in the middle.

then you can pull the fabric back and forward to get it sitting nicely on the helmet

Put you inner inside the helmet to take up the slack and tidy up the edges.
Done :)

The button holes for the chin straps keep it on the helmet and inner keeps it tidy and tucked up.

Sorry Thain, I haven't logged on in several days and replied to your comment before I saw that you had completed and shared the logo/emblem/symbol/thing already. Beautiful work!! Thank you again!

As for the rubber band, I too was thinking there was a distinct possibility that there was one band used and it was doubled over. It would explain why everybody had 2. Also, in that photo, I think the earlier opinion that the blast shield may have been made of some kind of rubber or silicon may have even more footing. Look at the cracked paint on either side of the rubber band. It looks like the paint cracked where the shield flexed under the pressure of the bands.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Thain, I haven't logged on in several days and replied to your comment before I saw that you had completed and shared the logo/emblem/symbol/thing already. Beautiful work!! Thank you again!

As for the rubber band, I too was thinking there was a distinct possibility that there was one band used and it was doubled over. It would explain why everybody had 2. Also, in that photo, I think the earlier opinion that the blast shield may have been made of some kind of rubber or silicon may have even more footing. Look at the cracked paint on either side of the rubber band. It looks like the paint cracked where the shield flexed under the pressure of the bands.

That helmet is a WWII era shell. Try to find a Vietnam War era shell. Ebay can be difficult because of crappy photos, bad information, and damage to the helmet. The helmets made in the 1950's and later are all good.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add, if the helmet liner has that leather chin strap, thenjoy it's probably paired with a 1940's shell.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back