Disney's "Galaxy's Edge" - REAL lightsabers?

badboibill

Disney claims that "real lightsabers" will be a part of the "Galaxy's Edge" expansion. I think I know how they're going to do it:

Multiple people have claimed to have already seen the "real lightsabers" at Disney and that the experience is "mind blowing." We all know a real lightsaber isn't technically possible... so how is Disney going to achieve the effect? Theoretically, if you built a lightsaber and housed a laser or a powerful and focused light source in the body (much like the "in-hilt tri cree builds you see on this forum) you could see the actual beam of light with some light atmospheric haze in the room - the same stuff used at basketball games, ballet, and theater. Some lasers have a "frame rate" or a gate, just like a movie projector. If you film a laser and sync the frame rate of your camera to the frame rate of the laser, you can capture suspended beams of light with a beginning AND an end. The catch? It's impossible to see with the naked eye, and can only be seen once you play back the footage. However, if a user were to wear a set of goggles with a frame rate SYNCED to the lasers frame rate (much like 3D goggles that go with 3D enabled TV sets) you could, in theory, capture the image of the beam of light... beginning at the emitter of the hilt, and ending about a meter away.

Add a great sound system, a rumble motor, and some atmospheric heat (much like the VR company "The VOID" uses) you could come up with a pretty convincing "lightsaber." In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is where our community goes after neopixels blades.

What do you guys think... any thoughts on how Disney is planning on achieving a "real lightsaber?"

Last edited by a moderator:
This just makes me more and more excited for this park. I can't wait to see how these work when the park opens.

If I had to guess how they work it would probably be like the lenovo jedi challenges like mentioned before.

I'm still hoping that someone does Star Wars laser tag... that would be awesome.

I'm not going to speculate until I've actually seen them at work. Just popped in for a technical nit...

We all know a real lightsaber isn't technically possible...

Neh. It totally is. Could build one today. Just with where we are technologically, it'd be enormous (like, think building), clunky, and feeble, and require at least one dedicated power plant to run it. Check in with me again after a few decades of amplification, miniaturization, and condensing. *heh* But always be wary of labeling something "impossibble". Impossible just means no one's figured out how to do it yet. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't think light can be artificially "stopped" once it starts traveling. Atleast, that's been my understanding. It will stop eventually due to deterioration... but I think that happens over the course of many millions of miles.

If the experience at disney ends up being a lenovo sort of thing... I'm going to be really bummed out lol

what the guy from because science is explaining is that a lightsaber could be a loop of plasma contained by electro magnets

I would recommend looking through more of the videos made by that very man, where he says, just off the top of my head and among other things, that turning on a lightsaber would generate so much heat that it would set you on fire, and getting stabbed by one would cause a (very gross) steam explosion.

I said "exactly replicates" very intentionally

Disney Designs New Lightsaber That Extends and Retracts Just Like the Film Versions

Saber-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking the LED spool is the front end where, in the article, says the half-cylinder tubes envelope out and over one another. It's supposedly works like a tape measure, same principles, but I'm having a hard time figuring it being anything more for than show. An assembly like this is too fragile for any "dueling" and the interior leaves no room for sound. So I guess this is just a one and done gag.

It's just going to end up looking like a more expensive version of the telescoping roleplay Hasbro toy versions. I'll stick with the FX style.

From the patent application itself:
A special effects device for providing an energy sword effect. The device includes two long plastic semi-cylinders, and these two blade body members are rolled perpendicular to their length, which creates compact cylinders of material of small volume that can be provided on a pair of spools in a hilt. To extend the blade, a motor provided in the hilt unrolls the blade body members from the spools. Each blade body member passes through a blade forming guideway that nests the semi-cylindrical blade body members together as they leave the hilt. To retract the blade, the process is reversed. The lighting of the blade is achieved with a flexible strip of light sources. The light source strip is attached to a blade end cap and positioned in the center of the two blade body members such that it is pulled up along with the blade body members during their extension.
So the front is 212 in OP's image.
The difference with that youtube channel is the led strip supposedly sliding along inside the tube.
I think the patent has been granted: #10065127
Oh boy, here comes a new toy collection... Or maybe they'll wait until episode 9

What I heard was they were reserving the new "tech" specifically for actors in the parks and their live shows, rather than for public sale.
But yeah if you picture it as two tape measures offset. I'm guessing the two halves have a groove on the edges that help them "zip" together as they feed through the exit. Very cool. Can't wait to see it in action.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back