Painting Help

Tyranus 99

I'm currently working on a Black Panther CW suit

I purchased a Killerbody helmet and plan to mod it to have magnet enclosures, a more snug fit, and a new paint job so that it doesn't look so "toyish". Having never painted something of this size (to scrutinized) I'm coming up with a few questions that I can't seem to find consistent answers to. My current plans for painting and the questions are below. Any help would be appreciated.

1- I will be sanding and smoothing some of the gaps, including holes on the mouth (I will be drilling out the smaller holes to the left/right of the center mouth area).
2- The first coat will be with a primer
3- Light sand and then a coat in matte black? Do a put a matte clear coat over the areas that will stay matte? Do I do that after this step?
4- I will tape off the matte, lightly sand the exposed areas, and then paint it gloss black
5- Tape off the gloss areas, an then paint the exposed areas metallic silver
6- Put a clear coat over the helmet. I'm planning on only putting a standard clear coat over the gloss and silver areas. Is this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use black primer so you can skip #3.
You can even buff it up to a semi gloss with an old rag.

You should also do a couple coats of primmer then let it sit a week or so before doing the next layer (unless of course you need it right away).

The clear coat will gloss up the mat paint and probably dull the metallic.

You can use black primer so you can skip #3.
You can even buff it up to a semi gloss with an old rag.

You should also do a couple coats of primmer then let it sit a week or so before doing the next layer (unless of course you need it right away).

The clear coat will gloss up the mat paint and probably dull the metallic.

Thank you! Good to know on the clear coat. Sounds like I'll skip it, and give the other coats plenty of time to sit

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back