Sarco Plank JSP-14 Blastern Completed (Pic heavy)

Radlos

So i decided to built Sarco Planks JSP-14 Blaster. He is a character of Star Wars TFA but is as far as i know just shown in the Visual Dictionary and on a set photo.
I planned on building the Blaster fully out of EVA foam because its lightweight and easy to work with.
This is the blaster JPS-14_pistol.png

FIrst i had to make up some measurements. SInce there are no refence pictures of this blaster i made the up completly so they would fit to my body.
i decided to make it 71cm long (27,9 inch) , main body height 17cm (6,6 inch), width 6cm (2,3 inch)

after i had the dimensions i started on the blueprint.
IMAG0543.jpg

2.in the next step i traced my design of the main body part onto the foam
IMAG0544.jpg

JPS-14_pistol.png

IMAG0543.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
in the next step i cut out everything that needs to be cut so i can raise some of the parts and cut some holes into the body part. i used hotglue for this step
View attachment 594136

time to create more dimension to this blaster and add the edges. this is a real easy step. its just measurring and cutting. but this time i used some contact cement to glue the edges onto the main body part. befor glueing everything together i got rid of the texture which is on the backside of the eva foam.
i also traced,cut and glued the main body design again onto eva foam . but this time inverted so it would fit as a counter part onto the other side.
View attachment 594141
i hold up all my parts together for a first test fit. they looked god but at they were a little imperfections which i get rid of in the future by using a dremel with a sanding bit
View attachment 594142

i traced and cut out the gun grip twice, removed the texture on both pieces and glued them toegether with contact cement. in my blueprints there is a trigger on the gun grip but i decided to remove it so i can build in a switch for electronics later.
i took a pvc pipe 2,5cm (0.9 inch) in diameter and inserted it into the weapon to see how long it has to be. after i figured that out i cut it into lenght. after that i had some remaining pvc pipe which i added into the body, just for more stability.
as shown on the following picture i added some wooden stick to the grip and i cut out the end of the blaster which connects the pvc pipe and wooden stick.
to gain the width of the back piece of the blaster i cut out the shape 4 times and glued them together

IMAG0562.jpg

creating some details for the grip and the main body. this was not hard at all. i used a sharpened pvc pipe to punch out circles of eva foam and shaped them with a sanding bit with my dremel and drilled a holes in the pieces. the grip details are some cuts half way through 2mm (0,07 inch) eva foam. i heated up the cuts later with a heatgun. when heating them up the cuts open a little more and get more visible.
i also drilled 8 holes into the pvc pipe and some holes into the backpiece
IMAG0571.jpgIMAG0570.jpgIMAG0575.jpg

time fore electronicsto this point i had zero experiences with electronics so the next step is super easy but it looks super awful.
i wired 2 double a batteries together, put a switch in between and used an old green LED fairy lights.
another thing i did was to add some aluminum strips into the gun so they would reflect some of the light into other directions since the eva does not reflect very well. i put the switch into the gun grip so i can easily activate it. that was a little tricky and i explin it in step eight
IMAG0577.jpg

installing the trigger switch
i drilled a hole vertically into the handle. (hole number 1) another hole drilled (hole number2) so both holes connect at the end. and another hole horizontal (number 3)into the grip. all ends should connect. i drilled hole number 2 becaus the switch i had was so long that i would not have fit throgh a 90 degree angle.
i had to make a cut between hole 1 and 2 so the wires could get through.
IMAG0885.jpgIMAG0573.jpg
as you can see on the next picture i installed a little blue plastic tube into the grip so the cables would go through and to create more stability between grip and body body part. the plastic tube fits into a hole in the pvc pipe
IMAG0576.jpg

time to glue everything together. i used contact cement again to glue the second main body part and the grip to the gun. all the electronics are now trapped inside. there is no way i could even change batteries. i just hope they last long :D
IMAG0586.jpg

Painting!!!!
since i really such at painting this was at first the part i was really afraid of. the gun looks super rusty and to create this effect i thought i have to practice a lot. i decided to paint the whole gun with a layer of a gunmetal looking acrylic paint. after this i did a little research on painting rust and came across a paint with real iron in it. its a iron base coat and you get some rust solution with it. i dry brushed the hole gun with the iron base coat (exept for the showing pvc pipe and wooden stick)
IMAG0594.jpg
after the first coat of iron base was dry i added a seconds coat. and now the fun part starts. i took the rust solution and brushed it irregulary onto the base iron base coat. now i just had to wait
IMAG0595.jpgIMAG0596.jpg
while the rust is slowly showing up, i filled a bucket with a little bit of water. added some brown, red, umber, and yellow acrylics to it and put some packing cord and jute fabric strip into the bucket. every now and then i strirred the cord and jute strip. after it all was nice and dirty looking i let it dry
IMAG0600.jpg
the rust sets in really fast. but i wanted it to be much more rusty so i added more and more of the solution until i was happy with how it looks.
i just had to wrap thefabric strip and cord to the gun, painted some silver highlights around the holes of the pvc pipe with a silver sharpie and the gun was finished.

Very nice job, i really like how the lights look glowing through the cut outs!

really interested in seeing the other sarco pieces you are doing.

What are you making the helmet visor out of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw someone using a motorcycle helmet visor installed in between the face plates. But I just drilled tiny holes for minimal sight into the helmet. Unfortunately they are visible :/ maybe In the future I am going to build a second helmet and install FPV glasses into the helmet, and hide a camera in the chestbox. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice job, i really like how the lights look glowing through the cut outs!

really interested in seeing the other sarco pieces you are doing.
Thank you. The chances are very high that I am going to create a sarco plank costume thread. I sliced of a big piece of my thumb with a knife, so I have lots of time to write :D :(

I'd love to see how you did on the rest of the outfit.

I'm actually working on my own outfit ATM which draws HEAVILY on Sarco Plank for inspriation :)

So i decided to built Sarco Planks JSP-14 Blaster. He is a character of Star Wars TFA but is as far as i know just shown in the Visual Dictionary and on a set photo.

Looks great.
Just letting you know, you can get a quick glimpse of him while Rey and Finn are running through the outpost together on Jakku.
Thought you might want to know that he did make it into the film, since you obviously dig this guy.
Have your pause button ready though.
Robert

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back