A Tale of Nine Balance Pipes - Journey COMPLETE!!

He was asking $1000 dollars per pair the last time I had an email from him. I told him I was not interested. I am not looking to buy :)
He had told me had was thinking of passing on the remainder of the engine on to a museum, which I was curious about as I have a large box of parts (mainly hoses and washers) sat in my dining room from my find which I have no idea as to what to do with.

Wow, guys, I'm completely thrilled by this news. It's fantastic to see these little gems coming to light after all this time. :D

Just as an aside, if anyone has measurements for the IG-88 head, I'd really be keen to get them so I can add making a Pepakura IG-88 to my list of partly-finished projects.

Again - thanks for bringing this project full circle.

It really is an amazing find. I was looking back at a PM from last year with a member who already had a correct pipe and he felt the 8-10 correct pipes that are in our community were probably the only ones we would see due to how rare the style and difficulty to find these are.

And here we found 9, plus 9 almost correct ones.

Makes me wonder how many more are out there ?

I have to say that it is amazing to me that this part has been so elusive and so mysterious for 30 plus years. Just shows the dedication of the fans. Absolutely incredible to see the original parts. Bravo.

Does someone have a photo of "incorrect ones" except the incorrect from our deal of course?
I have a small theory about it,but have to check some pics before !

I was just wondering what happened to this engine find, being an occasional collector of old RAF/USAF stuff. I'd say everyone in the process got a great deal.

So guys, what's next ... the Texas based RR Derwent Jet-engine ... that I noticed on ebay since early january?

... since I used my hardearned cash for star wars celebration europe 2, in stead of this BP ... I'm still looking
for it ... unless I may decide to trade one of your BP's for my extra vintage AS handwheel, which I purchased
from Kurtyboy and thus is worth 1 BP + 1 Booster + 1 Bearing Cone! Hmmm, decisions, decisions,decisions!

-Chaim

okay,seems it just prooves my theory...
In fact I had two main ideas:
-one was the balance pipes would have evolved,from index one to index 2 or more,and the correct ones would have bee, the later version.
it means a derwent could contain at least 9 correct pipes in the best case,but ould countain none of them...

-other was simplier,the "wrong" were just the male pipes,of course it means EACH derwent countains 9 correct pipes.

Seems it's the second solution,would mean there are always 9 correct pipes in a derwent engine,except if someone already took them ,lol.

Addendum: If I interpreted old research correctly, only the jets with the MK8 and MK9 engines that had a specific upgrade/mod done to them could have our "correct" balance pipes. Anything prior to that first model of aircraft (and the jets with engines that didn't have the upgrades) would have the "wrong" pipes.

if you have a balance tube coupler would be interested,in fact I would the parts around the pipe for a display
I may have one of these, or at least part of if it's the bit that goes round the outside joining the larger tubes together - that is I understand correctly?
If not can you send a picture of what you mean?

Gonna clean one of these up and post better pics soon. :)

mfcmp2

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back