Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Primer: Tamiya AS-7 (Neutral Gray (USAAF))
Base Coat: Tamiya AS-20 (Insignia White (USN))
Near white panels: Add thin layers of Tamiya TS-27 (Matte White)
Cool Light grey panels: Add thin layers of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (Light Gray)
Warm Light grey panels: Add thin layers of Tamiya AS-16 (Light Gray (USAF))
Darker grey panels: Add thin layers of Tamiya AS-7 (Neutral Gray (USAAF)), plus Tamiya AS-2 (Light Gray (IJN)) for brownish tint
Red panels: Tamiya TS-33 (Dull Red)
Yellow panels: Gianotes GSS-06 (Cream Yellow) plus thin overcoats of Tamiya TS-68 Wooden Deck Tan and Tamiya AS-20 (Insignia White (USN))

Although I used Insignia White as base coat, I made quite a lot of panels whiter than that by adding thin layers of matte white.

Thanks!

I used AS-16 as the "primer" layer for my Fine Molds 1/72 and then masked off some of the panels and did a base with AS-20. The plastic was a grey color probably similar to AS-7. The addition of the TS-27 (near white panels) was missing

That should do the trick

I just realized that I forgot to put a piece on (E3) weeks after finishing my falcon. I had seen the piece on the original and just kind of dismissed it as it was added later until I noticed it in someone else's build. The funny part is I meticulously checked off my instructions as I went and made sure the sprus were empty and still missed it. Now I'm going to have to color match it to the rest and see what else I missed.
6387a60438c8b4477e6ad005edf51e2d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the feedback team! I’ve spoken to the bank manager (wife!) and we have “agreed” I should just bite the bullet and order the current version with all the bells and whistles! Gonna ship it from amazon to a friend in the USA then get it forwarded to Vegas when I’m there on business in April. Bring it back to New Zealand in luggage and save on Tax and freight. April. Ugh. Long time to wait but I can spend the many days drilling over everyone else’s fine work! (And pinch ideas!)

I'm doing a couple of commission builds & was gonna wait till the money comes in......but with the prospect of a lesser quality vision coming later in the year, I bit the bullet & used the credit card,...so hopefully mine will be flying in first week in Feb

J

J, just got mine yesterday, £85 import tax. It's smaller than I thought it would be if i'm honest, but then I don't have any SW kits of any kind to it compare to. I jumped on this as I always loved the falcon, but haven't built anything in years, so most likely will store it for now.

Dear Fellow Falcon Builders,
Can someone provide me with high-resolution top view shots of the assembled-but-unpainted (primed or base coated at max) engine deck of the Bandai Perfect Grade Falcon?
I am in the process of pimping out my good old MPC, and would you it as reference. I would scratchbuild / kitbash / 3DPrint the missing details.
The benefit it would bring me is that I see what levele of detail is optimal at this scale.
Much appreciated!
P.S: mostly ooking for this angle
39661635352_3636d1645c_z.jpg

Nooooo! Not the MPC Falcon engine deck! I think I have a PTSD response looking at that thing, and realising as a kid how abbreviated, incomplete, and inaccurate that kit was. I mean - there are R2-D2 front vent greeblies on there! :)

Anyway. This site has some awesome photos, including much of the engine deck.

http://wivern.exblog.jp/27092610/

Nooooo! Not the MPC Falcon engine deck! I think I have a PTSD response looking at that thing, and realising as a kid how abbreviated, incomplete, and inaccurate that kit was. I mean - there are R2-D2 front vent greeblies on there! :)
Hahaha, you are completely right - but I love challenges (who doesn't) :D You will not recognize the thing the next time I present it ;)

I have looked into the resource you shared, and it is partially helpful.
But I am still looking for "assembled-but-unpainted/primed" top shots of the Bandai Falcon.
Anyone else?

Thanks!

J, just got mine yesterday, £85 import tax. It's smaller than I thought it would be if i'm honest, but then I don't have any SW kits of any kind to it compare to. I jumped on this as I always loved the falcon, but haven't built anything in years, so most likely will store it for now.

Good news.....I cant wait to just gaze at the detail

J

I've seen a number of people have posted their in-progress shots of the model, before and after priming, to the two PG Falcon Facebook user groups. I don't want to repost their photos without permission though.

Hahaha, you are completely right - but I love challenges (who doesn't) :D You will not recognize the thing the next time I present it ;)

I have looked into the resource you shared, and it is partially helpful.
But I am still looking for "assembled-but-unpainted/primed" top shots of the Bandai Falcon.
Anyone else?

Thanks!

d3cf5fddc795a6a546b55c8842b6b7af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s the greeble-rich engine cover. I’m painting the flaps separately, so they’re not on there.

b0d996f34ae5ac8af37a4f8beb381bda.jpg

e824b01aa1f5353de76c87c2f2f3584c.jpg

f4aded2684c4da81068c57c9f5a79f55.jpg

ea8d5c1a6bebe1d73849da8532916cfc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the lower forward half of the hull is just one piece, I'm kinda surprised that someone hasn't already given us a 3D printed option for an ESB configuration...
Unless it's out there, and I haven't been able to find it...

Since the lower forward half of the hull is just one piece, I'm kinda surprised that someone hasn't already given us a 3D printed option for an ESB configuration...

I'm not sure what the separate front hull has to do with it unless you're thinking of a full replacement for the entire section. Is that even possible? An ESB option seems like it would be similar to the Falcon Parts upgrade for the MPC kit. Just boxes and parts to change the maintenance bays. Some speculate that the separate forward hull section suggests Bandai might create a later option for ESB, like it's modular for that reason.
Mike Todd

I'm not sure what the separate front hull has to do with it unless you're thinking of a full replacement for the entire section. Is that even possible? An ESB option seems like it would be similar to the Falcon Parts upgrade for the MPC kit. Just boxes and parts to change the maintenance bays. Some speculate that the separate forward hull section suggests Bandai might create a later option for ESB, like it's modular for that reason.
Mike Todd

Yup, that is exactly what I was thinking...just replacing that entire piece. Perhaps beating Bandai to the punch.

I think just adding two more gearboxes to this falcon would be a disservice to this model. Bandai very faithfully recreated the falcon as it appeared in 1977, and if this falcon were to be modified to be the ESB falcon, I personally would want the whole nine yards - so additional gear boxes w/ two more landing gear, brand new maintenance pits to go with those gear boxes, the little squares ILM added on the bottom hull for more lights, the mods to the bottom jaw for those lights, drilling out holes in the front of the mandibles for the head lights, and the many greeblies that fell off and were replaced or glued back on incorrectly by the time of ESB.

Of course, this is just my opinion. If someone can manage to modify the pg falcon to accurately represent the five footer when it was used for filming ESB, I will be thoroughly impressed

I think just adding two more gearboxes to this falcon would be a disservice to this model. Bandai very faithfully recreated the falcon as it appeared in 1977, and if this falcon were to be modified to be the ESB falcon, I personally would want the whole nine yards - so additional gear boxes w/ two more landing gear, brand new maintenance pits to go with those gear boxes, the little squares ILM added on the bottom hull for more lights, the mods to the bottom jaw for those lights, drilling out holes in the front of the mandibles for the head lights, and the many greeblies that fell off and were replaced or glued back on incorrectly by the time of ESB.

Of course, this is just my opinion. If someone can manage to modify the pg falcon to accurately represent the five footer when it was used for filming ESB, I will be thoroughly impressed
That's what I've wondered too. if they were to create an ESB version, would they purposely leave off greeblies or configure them differently to match its current state with the mods of the bottom or redo the pits, add gear boxes, and leave the greeblies in an ideal state?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back