My 'Vintage Found-Parts' Lightsaber: Opinions wanted!

I actually just picked one up. it does come in a 3 cell version, with locking slots like a Graflex. It doesn't look like AJ used this one though, so I'm curious...

This isn't mine, but it's the same model, off google images
This is a Model X
$T2eC16J,!)QE9s3HEE8GBRvjwjJg0!~~60_1.JPG

It appears AJ used a Canon Model Y

$_35.JPG

The clamps should all be the same, with locking tabs, but there also must be threading to accept the bottom plate on these short ones...
..yea looks like the same clamp. So, how did you do it!?

I actually just picked one up. it does come in a 3 cell version, with locking slots like a Graflex. It doesn't look like AJ used this one though, so I'm curious...

This is a Model X
View attachment 560942

View attachment 560943

The clamps should all be the same, with locking tabs, but there also must be threading to accept the bottom plate on these short ones...

I really hope he replies, cos it's gonna puzzle me otherwise, he doesn't mention adding any length to it, but again it doesn't look like he's bought the 3 cell one from the pictures he posted. [EDIT] Actually after reading through it again, he mentions the first images he posted weren't of the same kind and that his had a "bottom" - I didn't understand what he meant by that at first but now i can assume he meant his was longer than the ones in the photographs...

I've just picked one of these up too, for £6.50 ($10) on eBay so I'm well chuffed! Shame the postage is nearly triple that but oh well! :'D

Last edited:

This is a Model X
View attachment 560942

View attachment 560943

Looks like the Model Y bottom does have locking slats in it a la the Model X. As far as I can tell, the only differences between the Y and X versions are the bottom, (edit: and a boxy mounting bracket at the front), and the finish: the Y has a much duller surface than the X. @Mooniteman's flash appears to have the brighter Model X finish, so that probably is the one he used.

Anyway, you can see the Model Y bottom plate in this pic, out of focus though it is:

s-l1600.jpg

EDIT: Where did you manage to pick up a Model X? All the online listings, eBay or otherwise, that I can find are stupid expensive.

Last edited:
I always wondered if there would be another... http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=45672

Welcome, brother. ;)

Nice! Thanks for pointing this out, yours looks great! When I get mine I'll be sure to post my own thread on here, so keep a look out! :)

Looks like the Model Y bottom does have locking slats in it a la the Model X. As far as I can tell, the only differences between the Y and X versions are the bottom, (edit: and a boxy mounting bracket at the front), and the finish: the Y has a much duller surface than the X. @Mooniteman's flash appears to have the brighter Model X finish, so that probably is the one he used.

Anyway, you can see the Model Y bottom plate in this pic, out of focus though it is:

View attachment 561144

EDIT: Where did you manage to pick up a Model X? All the online listings, eBay or otherwise, that I can find are stupid expensive.

That picture is actually from the eBay listing I just bought! :)

I didn't realise it was a slightly duller finish than the X model, but I think it'll look just at good, if not I can probably polish it up to gloss :)

Last edited:
And here I expected the bottom to have threading, that makes so much sense! good eye on the finishes, King Sols are like that too, brished aluminum and chrome-y

I know, There are two or three sets in the world on ebay that refuse to sell because of how expensive they are. I was looking up different flashes, bothered to type canon in and I literally bumped into it with an hour left. No one else bid on it, I don't think it was labeled "3 cell" or "flash Unit" necessarily. It was some off color listing with the wrong keywords in it.

Mine left Kansas yesterday, so I'll have to wait a while :darnkids

View attachment 561144

- - - Updated - - -

When I get mine I'll be sure to post my own thread on here, so keep a look out! :)

Maybe start your own thread so we don't hijack this guy's. We're on here looking for info on the flash, When I get mine I'll start my own build thread.

And here I expected the bottom to have threading, that makes so much sense! good eye on the finishes, King Sols are like that too, brished aluminum and chrome-y.

I pulled the trigger on a model Y so I'll post what it's made out of and if it's possible to polish up once it arrives. I've got a number of 2-cell flashes sitting around of various finishes; hopefully one of them will be suitable to cut down and use as the bottom.

And here I expected the bottom to have threading, that makes so much sense! good eye on the finishes, King Sols are like that too, brished aluminum and chrome-y

I know, There are two or three sets in the world on ebay that refuse to sell because of how expensive they are. I was looking up different flashes, bothered to type canon in and I literally bumped into it with an hour left. No one else bid on it, I don't think it was labeled "3 cell" or "flash Unit" necessarily. It was some off color listing with the wrong keywords in it.

Mine left Kansas yesterday, so I'll have to wait a while :darnkids

Nice find! Mine will take even longer as it's gotta come here to London from San Diego!

Also on the pictures of the Model Y I bought, it does have threading on the bottom. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxNTAw/z/f34AAOSwf-VWWcwR/$_57.JPG
Hard to see, but there's definitely threading in there.

Maybe start your own thread so we don't hijack this guy's. We're on here looking for info on the flash, When I get mine I'll start my own build thread.

Haha yeah, that's what i meant by starting my own thread, I don't wanna hijack this one :')

I pulled the trigger on a model Y so I'll post what it's made out of and if it's possible to polish up once it arrives. I've got a number of 2-cell flashes sitting around of various finishes; hopefully one of them will be suitable to cut down and use as the bottom.
Nice! Yeah keep us informed on it! We can start a Model Y Club :D

UPDATE!!!!!!

So after the resurrection of this thread I'm gonna answer you questions and post the saber in it's final form.

I tried to use only parts I found inside the saber and only drilled into if it an existing slot or hole was too small to fit a piece. I tried not to mess with it too much. The exception for any non-original parts are a piece scrap of aluminum I cut for the fin at the top, circuit boards from inside a light and an NES cartridge, the grips and one of the silver knobs.

Here are the pics!

IMG_7310.jpgIMG_7311.jpgIMG_7312.jpgIMG_7313.jpgIMG_7314.jpgIMG_7315.jpgIMG_7316.jpgIMG_7318.jpg

Also wanted to clear up any questions:

I really hope he replies, cos it's gonna puzzle me otherwise, he doesn't mention adding any length to it, but again it doesn't look like he's bought the 3 cell one from the pictures he posted. [EDIT] Actually after reading through it again, he mentions the first images he posted weren't of the same kind and that his had a "bottom" - I didn't understand what he meant by that at first but now i can assume he meant his was longer than the ones in the photographs...

I've just picked one of these up too, for £6.50 ($10) on eBay so I'm well chuffed! Shame the postage is nearly triple that but oh well! :'D

Yeah the one I picked up from a Flea Market here in LA was only like $15 and it came like that. It was a 3-cel already! Sorry for the confusion!

This is a really stunning scratch built vintage lightsaber. I really love it. What did you use as the bottom half?

It's fromt he original Flash Handle - I just got some thick rubber washers from DIY on Magnolia street in BUrbank - cut them and glued them to the bottom!

I always wondered if there would be another... http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=45672

Welcome, brother. ;)

That looks great!!!!! I was surprised I didn't come across more made from this model! Lightsaber siblings!!!

Nice find! Mine will take even longer as it's gotta come here to London from San Diego!

Nice! Yeah keep us informed on it! We can start a Model Y Club :D

Model Y club all the way!!!

Great sabe! I'd say done! very cool!!

Thanks mate!

As this post has been resurrected I thought I'd ask - @Mooniteman, how did you extend the flash handle on the bottom in order to fit those black grips?

Cheers,
Sam

It came like that. It unlocks with a single twist.

View attachment 561144

Last edited:
Hi Mooniteman, glad you've seen this! The 3 cell seems to be rather rare indeed. Was yours a Model X or Model Y do you know?

[EDIT] Scratch that, you beat me to the post!

Thanks for the Update Mooniteman, Mine only came as a 1 or 2-cell model, so I'm going to have to find a way to extend it. I know mine does have a thread on the bottom, so perhaps I could find another model to thread into there, but it's looking doubtful as their aren't many of them around it seems.

Your one does look amazing though, and you should be proud to know that it's the main reason for me searching for my own "Canon Flash Handle" on eBay :)

Last edited:
I really do love the look of this. especially putting wires in the ports, I'll have to do that!

The pitting and wear visible in the opening post photos suggests nickel or chrome plated brass.

I'm guessing the model Y will turn out to be aluminum, based on its resemblance to a Graflite, but we won't know until somebody gets one in-hand.

Wasn't happy with the last set of pics. Here are some better ones!

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Hi Mooniteman, glad you've seen this! The 3 cell seems to be rather rare indeed. Was yours a Model X or Model Y do you know?

[EDIT] Scratch that, you beat me to the post!

Thanks for the Update Mooniteman, Mine only came as a 1 or 2-cell model, so I'm going to have to find a way to extend it. I know mine does have a thread on the bottom, so perhaps I could find another model to thread into there, but it's looking doubtful as their aren't many of them around it seems.

Your one does look amazing though, and you should be proud to know that it's the main reason for me searching for my own "Canon Flash Handle" on eBay :)

I guess It's a Model X according to AnubisGuard - I haven't a clue - it was just sitting in a pile of Junk at a flea Market and I went "THAT!" I've been on the hunt for one of these since I was a kid and it finally paid off.

You might be able to just buy the bottom of an old graflex to extend it right?

And I'm very proud! Super happy this turned out well after over a year of toying with it!

But you have the Model X. Model X master race!

I'm a fool! X all the way then!

I really do love the look of this. especially putting wires in the ports, I'll have to do that!

Thank you! I've been doing the exposed wire thing since I was a kid - give it a real Star Wars look to me. It aint pretty - just functional.

I thought that was a nice touch too!

Thanks!

One other question, do you know what metal they are made from? Are they Aluminium, Steel or Nickel even? Thanks :)

No idea - my guess is aluminum, but I'm no expert. It was easy to cut into and has a really fine grain to it like it was milled.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 85
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 69
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 78
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome, brother. ;)

It looks like we had a lot of the same ideas btw! The "Emitter shroud" (top piece thingy) that you take off the actual flash hood bowl....thing. No way to describe that. And then the inside emitter (you put springs on your though) I really like that piece! It looks great! The actual guts of the flash and pieces it come with are really great for Frankensteining something together! Awesome to see another build from that same piece!

Really looks like brass, IMO. Steel would be hard to cut and you can't plate aluminum. The fact that there's visible brassy pitting seals it as far as I'm concerned.

It's looking real good in those latest pics. I'm going to have Model X envy.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back