Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Sheer amazing!!! what a fantastic thread, the results of which are simply awe inspiring. Great work mate, Just subscribed to this. I cant wait to see more...

Many thanks for the support guy's :)
& thanks for the info on the possible sulfur issue, I can relax a little now :)

Although he's effectively ready for moulding, it'll be a little while before I can get stuck in with it.

I need to do a bit more research into the process & quantities of stuff needed etc. I need to decide for definate where the partitions will go & build them very carefully so as not to damage the surface etc.

Although I'm very nervous about the moulding, I'm looking forward to it as it will mean I can get on with the clear dome, the neck etc.

I've also got to build myself a rotocaster :rolleyes It'll probably be a hand cranked jobbie, but it'll be made of steel :)

Last edited:
Someone please photoshop a dome over this guy!!! I'm dying to see what it'll look like.

Me too :) :thumbsup

Heres a pic I've just modded with the outline in the right place (the black line), If someone with some skill's could fill it in that would be great :)
414+.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks nick, that looks great :) :thumbsup

Edit: I also added lips & tendons to him last night :)

Just need to put the two together now :D

Last edited:
Interesting. I always thought the dome ended halfway down the back of phallic shaped tip but that pic shows it ending at an angle before even reaching there...hmmmm.
Seems like most of the figures and replicas did that too but now that Im looking at pics of the real deal on line I see that it did indeed terminate earlier and was blended in. Live and learn. Awesome

I have a question, are you going to have the dome overlap the perimeter tube along the sides and front of the head, or are your going to have it in parallel proximity to it? Both seemed to happen in the movie in various scenes (i want to say lack of oversight on the prop-masters part between takes) and in some promotional shots.

Which do you prefer and why? :)

Interesting. I always thought the dome ended halfway down the back of phallic shaped tip but that pic shows it ending at an angle before even reaching there...hmmmm.
Seems like most of the figures and replicas did that too but now that Im looking at pics of the real deal on line I see that it did indeed terminate earlier and was blended in. Live and learn. Awesome

There were 5 or 6 heads made for the film & they're all different in some way :) In one pic the dome wraps right over the rear & in others it stops half way & then theres that last image, like the one at the museum that's been blended & finished higher up with a rough texture to it? very strange??

Everything looks Perfect Leigh! Amazing work! cant wait to see this Masterpiece finished.

Michael

Thank you :)

I have a question, are you going to have the dome overlap the perimeter tube along the sides and front of the head, or are your going to have it in parallel proximity to it? Both seemed to happen in the movie in various scenes (i want to say lack of oversight on the prop-masters part between takes) and in some promotional shots.

Which do you prefer and why? :)

I'm intending to have the dome on Bob clip over the tube but only just, & then paint the inside of the dome so that the tube can be seen through it. So it'll cover the tube like the Sano big chap. I personaly prefer that look :)
I'm not keen on the way most seem to do it, like dome on the HCG bust being on the inside of the tube so that the tube is fully exposed. I personally believe the tube should be covered but visible :)

EDIT: Clip over like this:
View attachment section dome Alien.bmp

Last edited:
Ingenious solution to the dome love it (y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup! I have to ask though, how are you going to mold the dome so it does just that?

My plan to build a vac forming buck, is to cast up a head & build up the shape for the dome directly onto the head casting in polyester.
Then I can trim away the excess head material below dome level & build up a supporting structure in its place.
If I can find a place, I'll get the dome vac formed.
Once its formed I'll trim it along the line that'll be left in so that it should be a good fit all round.
Thats the plan at the moment anyway :)
It'll mean I'll have to sacrifice one head casting but tbh I cant think of a better way to do it?
What do you think? :)

There were 5 or 6 heads made for the film & they're all different in some way :) In one pic the dome wraps right over the rear & in others it stops half way & then theres that last image, like the one at the museum that's been blended & finished higher up with a rough texture to it? very strange??

I'm intending to have the dome on Bob clip over the tube but only just, & then paint the inside of the dome so that the tube can be seen through it. So it'll cover the tube like the Sano big chap. I personaly prefer that look :)
I'm not keen on the way most seem to do it, like dome on the HCG bust being on the inside of the tube so that the tube is fully exposed. I personally believe the tube should be covered but visible :)

Interesting :) can you post shots of these various heads, figures, and busts, so that we may see the differences in the dome shapes, constructions, and overlaps? :)

EDIT- Which photo or figure is going to be your reference for dome shape? Thats another inconsistent thing about the film and promo material and endless replicas... the dome tends to change shape and size with each new installment. Also, I think you may have answered this, but how is the dome going to look at the front of the skull? flush? overlapping? or like some where it extends about an inch off the face (poorly fitted instances in those certain models, methinks)?

OMG Leigh! This is just crazy!.. :eek

Been following this thread for a couple of months now, and you keep amazing me. Each update is like christmas. :)
Your talent and eye for detail is just mind-blowing and very inspiring. :thumbsup

Giger's Alien design is such a perfect and beautiful one, my absolute favorite creature design ever, and to replicate that is not an easy task, but you have succeeded sir!

I like how you've been faithful to the original, but also adding some subtle detailing and texture allover to make it your own. Can't wait to see it all finished up, with the dome and everything..

Congrats on finishing the headsculpt and thanks for an awesome thread..

Here's my take on how he could look like with the dome and tendons applied..

alienbob.jpg

Leigh I have been watching this from the begining and have to say alot of people start a project like this and run out of steam and never complete it. I'm glad you hung in there and saw it through this is just incredible work, your in the big leagues now!
Ray

That is a great render! I'm wondering if the clear wrapped totally around the back end. Even though there is a seam visible in some pics, I'm wondering if maybe they glued the bottom to the top and then put the dome on by starting at the back and 'inserted' the skull into the back of the dome. Does that make sense?

alhead.jpg

OMG Leigh! This is just crazy!.. :eek

Been following this thread for a couple of months now, and you keep amazing me. Each update is like christmas. :)
Your talent and eye for detail is just mind-blowing and very inspiring. :thumbsup

Giger's Alien design is such a perfect and beautiful one, my absolute favorite creature design ever, and to replicate that is not an easy task, but you have succeeded sir!

I like how you've been faithful to the original, but also adding some subtle detailing and texture allover to make it your own. Can't wait to see it all finished up, with the dome and everything..

Congrats on finishing the headsculpt and thanks for an awesome thread..

Here's my take on how he could look like with the dome and tendons applied..

alienbob.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back