Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Going into R1, I figured Disney could only screw up the OT legacy. I was wrong, they brought something new and fresh to SW fans that added to the OT legacy better than any expanded universe comic book, novel, or video game ever did.

Going into R1, I figured Disney could only screw up the OT legacy. I was wrong, they brought something new and fresh to SW fans that added to the OT legacy better than any expanded universe comic book, novel, or video game ever did.

can't believe people are still talking about this movie.

A rehash of other star wars themes combined with an ROTJ style ending and people go ga ga :).
personally, i just didn't think it was all that great. even james earl jones couldn't really muster in a 100% performance.

I'll probably check it out again on demand to see if i missed anything, or if my opinion changes, but it probably won't.

Reading that article posted above, this kind of explains what I think about disney led star wars. it's all being done by pre programed nostalgia commitee. no one with a singular version is allowed to do anything new or special or fun to make it really feel like new star wars, because the price of buying it was so high..

>>[The TIE Fighter shot] is going to have to remain a myth because it’s sort of the thing where you’re trying ideas out to find the right version of the movie, and at the same time marketing is getting excited about certain shots and moments. Eventually you’ll see something presented to you and you’ll be like, wait a minute, this shot is no longer in the film.>>>

Announcing in this thread seems to be bad juju. Happened to another edit that was happily online for weeks until it was mentioned here.

It's unfair!
*Anakins' voice*

The problem is, I literally uploaded it and when I went to paste link here it was already blocked.
I wonder why other edits still exist online then...

Interesting! Makes me think that the trailer sequences shot with them running on the beach with the tapes were filmed to potentially allow that ending to happen, if they decided to go forward with it. Or, perhaps they just left that one scene in the story (where they still die on the beach) and cut the scene later.

I do still wish that the transfer to Leia could've happened outside the Scarif system, though, if only for better continuity purposes.

Interesting! Makes me think that the trailer sequences shot with them running on the beach with the tapes were filmed to potentially allow that ending to happen, if they decided to go forward with it. Or, perhaps they just left that one scene in the story (where they still die on the beach) and cut the scene later.

I do still wish that the transfer to Leia could've happened outside the Scarif system, though, if only for better continuity purposes.

Based on the article it sounds like the latter.

Based on the article it sounds like the latter.

Yeah, that's my guess, too. All the news coming out suggests that the "kill 'em all" ending was something that appeared in the writing process, and was never part of the filming process. The filming was more about where/how everyone bites it. :)

Announcing in this thread seems to be bad juju. Happened to another edit that was happily online for weeks until it was mentioned here.

and people find it somehow doubtful that studio heads or people who purposely mess up forums to try and help promote their movie don't visit this site.

I give you exhibit a :)

How would that be any better continuity? Nowhere was it said where they were beamed from in A New Hope, it was vague. Vader simply said "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies."

As Pablo Hidalgo confirmed to me when I asked on twitter, after Vader did the walk of death on the rebels and the Tantive IV got away, the Imperials found No plans on Raddus's ship. So he had every reason to assume Leia's ship had them. Pablo said Vader did not see them passing the small data disc thru the door, he had troops between him and the guy at the door and wasn't getting the close ups shots of the disc everyone who was watching the movie got. If he saw the disc and thought it was the plans he would have force pulled it to him like he did their blasters. The novel implied Vader saw something but when canon is in question it is said to refer to the movie. Otherwise Yoda is blue and Jabba is humanoid. (Going by ANH and ESB novels)

and people find it somehow doubtful that studio heads or people who purposely mess up forums to try and help promote their movie don't visit this site.

I give you exhibit a :)
There sure are programs that can detect keywords from anywhere and they can see who said what and where. I once was working on a project that was military based. I sent a link to my Dad via email....they had every email we had sent regarding the project.
I've had other things like that happen not military based. Its kinda creepy.
I would expect Disney to have a whole team just looking for things on the web.

How would that be any better continuity? Nowhere was it said where they were beamed from in A New Hope, it was vague. Vader simply said "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies."

Because the film makes it abundantly clear that they weren't "beamed" to the Tantive IV at all. They were hand-delivered.

As Pablo Hidalgo confirmed to me when I asked on twitter, after Vader did the walk of death on the rebels and the Tantive IV got away, the Imperials found No plans on Raddus's ship. So he had every reason to assume Leia's ship had them. Pablo said Vader did not see them passing the small data disc thru the door, he had troops between him and the guy at the door and wasn't getting the close ups shots of the disc everyone who was watching the movie got. If he saw the disc and thought it was the plans he would have force pulled it to him like he did their blasters. The novel implied Vader saw something but when canon is in question it is said to refer to the movie. Otherwise Yoda is blue and Jabba is humanoid. (Going by ANH and ESB novels)

I...don't actually care what post hoc tapdance routine Pablo wants to put out. I mean, that's his job, and he does it well, but I find that answer wholly unsatisfactory to the events as depicted. "Oh, eh thought that because he didn't see it clearly." Well, isn't that conveeeeeeeeenient. Because what I saw was Vader walking down a hall, chasing a dude who had the tape in his hand, who then handed it through a door, got killed, and the Tantive IV took off. Which, to me, sure looks a lot like "hand delivery, not beaming."

Plus, I find it silly that Leia would try to bluff Vader when he was literally feet away from getting onto her ship. That'd be like guys robbing a bank, hopping in their car, the cops pursuing them, and when they pull them over, the guys say "What are you pulling me over for? I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan!"

I get why they did it within the film just on its own, I just think it doesn't fit as neatly as it should within the continuity of the film that immediately follows.

I think it would've made more sense to have Vader pursue some other ship out of system, which then beams the transmission to Leia's ship, which at least gives her SOME plausible deniability when Vader finally captures the ship and she acts as if she has no idea why the ship was fired upon. With Rogue One, her denial is patently absurd. Hidalgo's explanation kinda-sorta "from a certain point of view nudge nudge wink wink" makes sense on the "beamed" thing, but it sure doesn't explain Leia's behavior.

But that's ok. I'm well versed in establishing "head canon" and in my "head canon," the heroes of Scarif died on the planet, a message was beamed out to another ship, which managed to jump out of system, Vader pursued that ship, caught it just after it had finished the transfer, spotted the only other ship in system (that being the Tantive IV), pursued THAT one to above Tatooine, and captured it. That, I find, makes both his statement and Leia's defiance make more sense.

The only reason they didn't do that in the film is (1) pacing concerns and why would you care about some random ship escaping and being chased by Vader's ship, and (2) putting the main heroes in that ship only to blow it up required them to really twist the story in knots just to keep them alive.

So, cinematically, there isn't a great way to get you to that point, even if that's really the best way for the longer-term narrative to make sense. Pablo can offer whatever explanations he wants, but at the end of the day, the answer is "Yeah, it's not the most elegant solution, but, eh, whatever. It's a pretty minor thing," which is probably what the production staff decided.

The way I see it is that Leia's Blockade Runner was docked inside the ship that had the plans beamed to.......In reality what way should Vader now say those lines to make sense?
I still think what he says is pretty accurate

Also there were half a dozen Blockade Runners at Scariff,....so Leia's "Wasn't Me!!" is still pretty valid

J

Last edited:
Even when you watch the battle above Scarif you see several ships that look like the Tantive IV (Corellian Corvettes aka blockade runners) The point is NO PLANS WERE FOUND on Raddus's ship, the Profundity. They were erased as soon as they had the disc made. The Imperials found NOTHING on Raddus's ship. How did Vader see the disc with all those people in front of him and why didn't he force pull it like he did their blasters in the scene? And The point of them using the Tantive IV is the ship is supposed to have diplomatic immunity. It was a bold faced lie in 1977, and bold faced lie in 2016. Hence "Don't act so surprised your highness, you weren't on any mercy mission this time." As Pablo said in tweet just hours ago. "It's that people think we don't, you know, double-check this ****."

Last edited by a moderator:
I...don't actually care what post hoc tapdance routine Pablo wants to put out. I mean, that's his job, and he does it well, but I find that answer wholly unsatisfactory to the events as depicted. "Oh, eh thought that because he didn't see it clearly." Well, isn't that conveeeeeeeeenient. Because what I saw was Vader walking down a hall, chasing a dude who had the tape in his hand, who then handed it through a door, got killed, and the Tantive IV took off. Which, to me, sure looks a lot like "hand delivery, not beaming."

He's part of the story group though. Everyone said that everything SW related would be perfect now with no bad info and no bad stories.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back