Our "Magnum P.I." ring...

The ears were to meet tolerances for printing through "Shapeways". Structurally, they didn't serve any purpose. :) The insert still has to be hand shaped/filed/sanded to get it to fit properly in the void in the main part of the ring. Never got to the end of modeling the insert so that it fit without any additional work. Please, if you'd be so kind, post any updates for your use of the model to the thread here. I'd love to see what you end up with! :D

Re: Our "Magnum P.I." ring...

You should try and smooth out the 3D model by setting the resolution for it a bit higher. I am not sure how Sketchup does freeforms or organic forms, since IIRC it´s a surface modeler. BUt I am sure that there is some kind of setting in the STL export to get more faces.

Last edited:

You should try and smooth out the 3D model by setting the resolution for it a bit higher. I am not sure how Sketchup does freeforms or organic forms, since IIRC it´s a surface modeler. BUt I am sure that there is some kind of setting in the STL export to get more faces.

Well, I'm just an amateur & have learned a bit since I worked on the ring. Haven't done any serious work on this model since my last print - which was quite a while ago. :) Still, I tend to put work in on the back end - once I have the print - to clean it up/smooth it out, which would probably total less work in the long run if I smoothed out the model a bit. :D

Thanks for the comment!

Hi all.

I'm normally posting on the Star Wars section, but I'm a Magnum P.I. fan too!

Well, I've 3D designed a Team Ring to be 3D printed in polished brass. And I've designed also a Team Ring pendant. Unfortunately I can't post here the link -is a shop-.
Attached, you can see my render.

TEAM RING MAGNUM PI SHAPEWAYS RENDER.jpg

Cheers

Hi all.

"Normally posting"... Says the guy with a whole 5 posts :lol
No, seriously, that looks like it will be AWESOME! I look forward to seeing a printed version.
Make sure to post images when you get it done.

Hi all.

Well, I've 3D designed a Team Ring to be 3D printed in polished brass. And I've designed also a Team Ring pendant. Unfortunately I can't post here the link -is a shop-.
Attached, you can see my render.

View attachment 370528

Cheers
I know it'll come across sounding critical, but - I believe the ring should bevel from the outsides to the center. Sort of a very low profile u, if that makes any sense... :)

It looks great though. It'll definitely be closer to what it should look like, printed in brass instead of black plastic, like mine. :D

A pringles chip is an analogy I heard somewhere that make sense! :lol

I was in a Ruby tuesday eating lunch with my Mother Saturday when my waitress asked what denomination I was a Priest in after looking at my ring. :lol

"Normally posting"... Says the guy with a whole 5 posts :lol
No, seriously, that looks like it will be AWESOME! I look forward to seeing a printed version.
Make sure to post images when you get it done.

Hahahahaha!

Sorry for being so enthusiastic with "normally posting"! You're right! My apologizes! Maybe reading tons of posts from the Stars Wars side instead of writing, or it would be most appropriate to say "I'm on the Dark Side of the Force", but well.

I will refine the design and I will post some shots. I've designed also the pendant Team Ring, and I will print it also.

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

I know it'll come across sounding critical, but - I believe the ring should bevel from the outsides to the center. Sort of a very low profile u, if that makes any sense... :)

It looks great though. It'll definitely be closer to what it should look like, printed in brass instead of black plastic, like mine. :D

Thanks for the comment.

I will try to modify it following your suggestion. Let's see the result!

Cheers

I've redesigned the ring, following your suggestions. Now the ring has a low profile; better looking now.
Many thanks for your help! Next step, printing!

See the attached render.

Best

TEAM RING MAGNUM NEW.jpg

I love the detail on yours. :) I'm only commenting to assist in your design & not trying to be critical of what is far superior to my abilities to model, generally.

I'm attaching a really rudimentary sketch to show you the U shape bit I'm referencing...

This is the detail I'm referencing that I think is missing/that looks like it's missing:

magringprofile.png

Again, I think the work you've done is wonderful. I think once you add that bit in, it'll make it perfect...& far better than mine. :D

I've redesigned the ring, following your suggestions. Now the ring has a low profile; better looking now.
Many thanks for your help! Next step, printing!

See the attached render.

Best

View attachment 371027

I love the detail on yours. :) I'm only commenting to assist in your design & not trying to be critical of what is far superior to my abilities to model, generally.

I'm attaching a really rudimentary sketch to show you the U shape bit I'm referencing...

This is the detail I'm referencing that I think is missing/that looks like it's missing:

View attachment 371401

Again, I think the work you've done is wonderful. I think once you add that bit in, it'll make it perfect...& far better than mine. :D

Thanks for the sketch! You're welcome, really! Don't bother about being critic. Things improve with a critic review.

So you are saying that the sides of the ring must to be more "vertical"? Doesn't it?
Also you say that on the top the surface must be more concave? Mine is a little bit concave, not as in your sketch.

Is this correct?

Thanks

I've redesigned the whole ring. Now is totally new, following your instructions -U shape-.

See attached render and tell me your thoughts please.

Cheers

TEAM RING MAGNUM PI NEW RENDER.jpg

I'm not an expert but an MPI fan, who has been researching the subject online recently. IMO, the correct concave shape of the ring's top surface is somewhere between lharles's drawing in post #31 (too deep, but not by much) and FZ6's render in post #33 (too flat).

1_1_c_full.jpg

I'm not an expert but an MPI fan, who has been researching the subject online recently. IMO, the correct concave shape of the ring's top surface is somewhere between lharles's drawing in post #31 (too deep, but not by much) and FZ6's render in post #33 (too flat).

View attachment 371792

Mmmm!
OK. I will redesign it, with a more concave shape. No problem.
I'm trying to get the perfect shape.
Many thanks for your inputs!

A new redesign of the ring.

Now the upper part is more concave. See the attached render.

And now another question: the Cross has to be totally flat or slightly concave also?
If the cross is flat, watching the ring for the "valley" side you can see that the long arm of the cross protrudes above the surface of the oval. The short arm of the cross is slightly sunk compared to the oval. In the image attached seems to be flat.

Suggestions?

TEAM RING MAGNUM PI CONCAVE SHAPEWAYS RENDER.jpgmagnum ring team ring concave.png

The rings changed through the show.

That is the gnarly ring I was referencing from the Pilot episode :lol

View attachment 371792

Apollo- yes, I had read that the ring was pretty sloppy in the pilot movie but I didn't look very hard for a good view from a later episode... glad someone found one.
FZ6- I like the screenshot and render from post #37, but I think in the render the oval border around the cross is too narrow, and the black fill around the cross should come up higher to be flush or very nearly flush to both the cross and the oval border. As to whether the cross is flat or concave, I can't tell from the new screenshot, but in the pilot movie I think it was concave. IMO, you could go either way and not be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice comment Scotophor !
Yes, the border is too narrow. I will change it.
About the black fill it has to be filled manually and very carefully, applying several coats until filling the hole. The surface to fill is not flat because the borders are higher than the center line. The two axis of the oval border are placed at different height.So the enamel coat must be also, sloppy.

IMO It would be nice to design the very first version of the ring Apollo

Wait! I think that I've got the right person to tell us how the ring was...

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back