Celebrity jerks?

Don't know how he is these days, but on the commentary track for Willow Warwick Davis tells of the first time he met Val Kilmer (flying to New Zealand for winter filming). Val saw the cheep, knock-off sunglasses young Warwick was wearing to look cool, asked to see them and then snapped them in half. Just as Warwick is about to get upset, Val pulls out a pair of genuine Ray Bans and gives them to him. So, take what you want from that :)

Val Kilmer seems to me, at least from seeing him interviewed, like he doesn't have much personality unless he's playing a character. Johnny Depp is the same way.

I know a girl who paid $250 to meet Norman Reedus. He was cool she said, he admitted being hungover and had just gotten off a plane from LA. Must've been partying all night. He looked in desperate need of a shower, greasy and pale in the pic. I'll never pay that to meet anyone. I remember when autos were $20. Boy I'm sounding old.

That's how he always looks on and off screen when I've seen him! I agree about not paying. I'd maybe like to meet someone if I saw them, but I'm not that interested in autographs or anything.

Wow really??? I've heard Gerard Butler was very nice and accommodating to fans.

He’s a great example of somebody who will be gracious to fans at events, but on set can be a monster.

But again, looking at my own words, maybe he was having a rough time when I encountered him.

I've often noticed that it's the people you see constantly play the big, evil villains or the nasty jerks that are the nicest people in real life while, on the other hand, the ones that always the play the guy/gal in the white hat, the Dudley Do Good characters that are often the jerks in real life.

Agreed. I usually enjoy meeting character actors more so than the 'stars', and villains are always fun. For a recent example, met the cast of Rogue One. Most were quite nice, a couple a bit standoffish so my wife and I left them alone, but Ben Mendelsohn was an absolute hoot with a fantastic sense of fun.

Norman makes more money at Cons then he does acting.

No airs about him a nice guy who remembers where he came from

They're all jerks. (just kiddin')

I know a girl who paid $250 to meet Norman Reedus. He was cool she said, he admitted being hungover and had just gotten off a plane from LA. Must've been partying all night. He looked in desperate need of a shower, greasy and pale in the pic. I'll never pay that to meet anyone. I remember when autos were $20. Boy I'm sounding old.

I'd pay not to meet Rose McGowen, she scares me.

I think you got to cut some slack to some of these. Imagine if you were in a cool thing 30 years ago, but haven’t booked a job in over a decade and now your life is going from convention to convention and having to be “on” for literally hours to make everyone that thinks you’re something your not happy for their fifteen seconds with you.

If these celebs were being disturbed in their private life I could understand them being "jerks" but this is completely different, they are choosing to go to conventions to charge people for meeting them, it's a paid job. If they can't be civil they shouldn't do it. At the very least they could act happy, which they should be able to do since they're actors!

Jerk: Mark Whalberg, Ryan Seacrest, James Caan, Tom Morello, Gerard Butler, Steve Harvey, Whoopi Goldberg

It's ironic you calling people jerks after your first statement about cutting them some slack :lol

It's unfortunate that Val Kilmer isn't too happy. With his tongue swollen and medical frights, he's also been difficult to work with. Regardless of how nice he seems on Facebook, I think I'll use the old adage "never meet your heroes".

I love Christopher Lloyd, Michael J. Fox and Michael Keaton but once again I don't think it would go well. Christopher Lloyd is an elderly man with sometimes little patience from what I understand, although we still love him. I would say that Michael J. Fox has little patience for fans even though he is probably quite a nice person. Michael Biehn, another hero, I'm sure would be difficult for me to interact with as well. I'm rather sensitive and I'd hate to have my heroes image smeared by a personal experience.

I have a feeling that some celebrities are happy to take our money but loathe us at the same time, yet we pour our heart and soul (and money) into making sure they stay afloat because we love their performances.

I don't have a great span of psychological understanding to this but it seems to be an unfortunate reality with few exceptions.

Celebrity comic writer ... Larry Hama. Grew up on GI Joe and have wanted to meet him for years; just never found myself in the same place.

A couple of D*Cons ago, we finally met. It was everything I hoped (and heard) it would be. Very appreciative, talked at length of his experiences with Marvel in the 80's, posed for pictures and autographs. Definitely a class act.

If these celebs were being disturbed in their private life I could understand them being "jerks" but this is completely different, they are choosing to go to conventions to charge people for meeting them, it's a paid job. If they can't be civil they shouldn't do it. At the very least they could act happy, which they should be able to do since they're actors!

The thing you're forgetting is that some of them don't have a choice. They were a star-- now they are not. Are they supposed to go back to working and Starbucks or something? Imagine what that does to your ego. For some of these people going to random cons and charging for autographs is their means of income. It's their job... and not everybody can love their job every day, in and out.

It's ironic you calling people jerks after your first statement about cutting them some slack :lol

I thought I said pretty clearly it's wholly possible I met them on a bad day.

It's unfortunate that Val Kilmer isn't too happy. With his tongue swollen and medical frights, he's also been difficult to work with. Regardless of how nice he seems on Facebook, I think I'll use the old adage "never meet your heroes".

I love Christopher Lloyd, Michael J. Fox and Michael Keaton but once again I don't think it would go well. Christopher Lloyd is an elderly man with sometimes little patience from what I understand, although we still love him. I would say that Michael J. Fox has little patience for fans even though he is probably quite a nice person. Michael Biehn, another hero, I'm sure would be difficult for me to interact with as well. I'm rather sensitive and I'd hate to have my heroes image smeared by a personal experience.

I have a feeling that some celebrities are happy to take our money but loathe us at the same time, yet we pour our heart and soul (and money) into making sure they stay afloat because we love their performances.

I don't have a great span of psychological understanding to this but it seems to be an unfortunate reality with few exceptions.

This is a very mature and lucid message. I wish more people would develop this way of thinking.

regarding everyone's earlier posts about Michael Biehn, I met him back in 2011 at a local convention, and it was a pleasant experience. after approaching his table, i waited a bit and gave him a chance to compose himself before introducing myself. i rattled on about Aliens, Tombstone, and Navy Seals, to which he politely smiled and nodded along with. afterwards i mentioned that i had read he had recently completed a movie he had directed, and told him i was looking forward to seeing it. that seemed to really delight him, and we spent the next few minutes discussing the project, his writing process, and the challenges he encountered transitioning from "actor" to "director". i then asked about his relationship with Bill Paxton, he told me he considered Bill a dear friend, and hoped they could work together again in the future. afterwards i thanked him for his time, and congratulated him on all his hard-earned success. he gave me a big smile and shook my hand. we snapped a few photos together, and he thanked me for stopping by. his wife was with him, she was also very kind and polite. probably my favorite experience meeting a celebrity.

The thing you're forgetting is that some of them don't have a choice. They were a star-- now they are not. Are they supposed to go back to working and Starbucks or something? Imagine what that does to your ego. For some of these people going to random cons and charging for autographs is their means of income. It's their job... and not everybody can love their job every day, in and out.

All the more reason for them to appreciate the people paying their wage.

I take it you've never worked customer service? Times that by 100 and imagine your entire day is supernerds asking you esoteric questions about a thing you did 30 years ago while you autograph their toys.

Cut them some slack.

To add to that, imagine getting asked the same esoteric questions all day long dozens of times, over and over again. Then if you're there for multiple days you're getting asked same old questions multiple times all day for however many days you're there for. Then when you're done, you go to another con where all of this happens all over again. With that in mind, it's a wonder any celebrity is decent at a signing/con.

...and ADD to that when they are dining out you have people not only asking for autos or Pics but when they are even granted THAT feel it is okay to hang standing at the table either asking questions or just staring.

I was in TinsleTown for the premiere of Malicifent and cringed as I saw Adrian Grenier being asked with a fork of food in his mouth for a Pic at Lunch, he was clearly in the middle of a business meeting.

He graciously told them to come back when they were done and he would.

People should respect certain Boundaries but we all know how that goes and sadly the Actors Celebs know that more than anyone

To add to that, imagine getting asked the same esoteric questions all day long dozens of times, over and over again. Then if you're there for multiple days you're getting asked same old questions multiple times all day for however many days you're there for. Then when you're done, you go to another con where all of this happens all over again. With that in mind, it's a wonder any celebrity is decent at a signing/con.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back