MCU Spiderman STARK Build- Mechanical Lenses Solution

KACosplayTech

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
LATEST UPDATE:
1/16/2019 THE MASK IS FUNCTIONAL AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL.

ORIGINAL POST:

Hey guys, been a while since I've made anything cosplay related, with my last being my Iron suit from high school. Since then, I've taken up new hobbies including 3-D printing, and racing drones. After seeing the new Spider-man Homecoming film, the fire to make props became re lit and I've been working on a few ideas. Some of these, I've already put into motion.

First off, the one that everyone is going nuts about figuring out, the Lenses.
20170806_210507.jpg
20170806_203929.jpg
For These, I 3d modeled the eyes around some pictures I had, and scaled them up to how large I think they are supposed to be (don't have my face shell as of yet). The "eye lids" pivot around a pin that's attached behind the lens. I'm not entirely sure how I am going to animate these, but I want them to be individually controlled.

The Web shooters will be a custom encasing for a modified Jolt nerf gun. I plan on using suction darts and adding a string to the end of it so I can pull whatever it sticks to. Probably wont work, but It's an idea and im going to test it out.
20170806_204019.jpg
The little baby drone wont be attached to the suit, but instead will be a completely separate entity I can hopefully just fly around or have someone else fly white im in the suit. I plan on using the "Inductrix" drones by Blade, since they have been tried and true in the drone world. Shouldnt be too hard to just add a spider look to it once I upgrade the motors to race level.
20170806_204010.jpg
Anyway, those are my ideas, and there is my progress expecting some parts to come in on tuesday, so hopefully i can get the prototype nerf shooter set up and ready to go by then.

Feel free to ask questions and give criticisms!

Last edited:
Re: MCU Spiderman Stark Build- Emotive Eyes, Lil Spider drone, and "Web" Shooters (WI

Subscribed! Any updates??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: MCU Spiderman Stark Build- Emotive Eyes, Lil Spider drone, and "Web" Shooters (WI

Hey guys, heres an update on where I am with the eyes right now.

Currently I have them attached to a string, but i need to find a way to keep them under tension so they spring back. I'm printing version 5 right now and I should hopefully have it put together for a test in the next couple of hours.

The white part of the lens was 3D printed and heat formed (bad idea, since it was abs it heated pretty unevenly) Not sure if I'm going to use it in the final product, but i kind of like how its able to seal up the entire mechanism without having to use any additional space.

So far, I think I'm on the right track for making the most compact mechanical Spider man lenses I've seen on the forums.

EDIT: Decided to just edit my recent post instead of making another one, but I just reprinted the white eye lens on top of kapton tape instead of my painters tape and the otherside came out perfect. The kapton tape made the one side super smooth, so it reflects light as if it were laminated... but it still has holes in the mesh. which means I probably wont be putting an actual lens in here, which ALSO means there wont be any fog issues. How did I get so lucky lmao. Anyway, Heres a video again comparing the two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will there be 3d print files available too?

Will there be 3d print files available too?

I'll release the files once I have a proper mechanism up and running. There are still alot of things I had to "weld" by hand, and I want to have this work seamlessly with the half shell mask avaliable at stores, so people can easily get the nice flush look that I plan on getting.

Do you plan on making the eyes move electronically with servos or by purely mechanical with just strings? Great work btw! This is some of the best lenses I've seen, on par with McLean Krieger's design.

Do you plan on making the eyes move electronically with servos or by purely mechanical with just strings? Great work btw! This is some of the best lenses I've seen, on par with McLean Krieger's design.

I plan on attaching the strings to servos to pull them, but I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to keep the shutters under tension. And thanks! Hearing that something I did being on par with McLean is beyond a compliment!

I plan on attaching the strings to servos to pull them, but I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to keep the shutters under tension. And thanks! Hearing that something I did being on par with McLean is beyond a compliment!

For keeping them under tension, I think the best way to do it is to attach each lens to a rubber band or some sort of thin elastic string, that anchors somewhere on either the base lens or (probably more easily) the faceshell. I did this with my moving Homemade lenses, where the lens was attached to a sort of "anchor point" that wouldn't move, and would always pull it back to open.

IMG_20170620_013612.jpg

Or another way you could do it (it'd be a lot harder), you could have another set of strings that would attach to the servo the opposite way, and would pull the lens with that. It's a lot more complicated, and hard to describe without a visual.

For keeping them under tension, I think the best way to do it is to attach each lens to a rubber band or some sort of thin elastic string, that anchors somewhere on either the base lens or (probably more easily) the faceshell. I did this with my moving Homemade lenses, where the lens was attached to a sort of "anchor point" that wouldn't move, and would always pull it back to open.

View attachment 751353

Or another way you could do it (it'd be a lot harder), you could have another set of strings that would attach to the servo the opposite way, and would pull the lens with that. It's a lot more complicated, and hard to describe without a visual.

I agree with @Troy Cavalieri . This is what I put in my current prototype.

I would add a rubber band to the face shell, but that would force me to move the white part of the lenses back further, making the eyes have depth which is what I want to avoid as much as possible. I want to try to keep the entire mechanism within the lenses.

I have a plan to add a "lever" to the ends of the shutters to have it spring back, much like the trigger on the nerf jolt. This means I'll have to print them in ABS instead of the carbon fiber fillament I've been using since the carbon fiber pla is super brittle. Hopefully Ill have an update soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

that's the main problem I encountered. If the eyes are't deep, I cant attach them to the shell

As of right now I am working on a similar lens mechanism; all I need right now is to attach the pieces and then I'll post something.
Mine isn't 3D Printed, mostly because my printer is out of commission, but your lenses look way better than mine! Good luck bro ;)

I would add a rubber band to the face shell, but that would force me to move the white part of the lenses back further, making the eyes have depth which is what I want to avoid as much as possible. I want to try to keep the entire mechanism within the lenses.

I have a plan to add a "lever" to the ends of the shutters to have it spring back, much like the trigger on the nerf jolt. This means I'll have to print them in ABS instead of the carbon fiber fillament I've been using since the carbon fiber pla is super brittle. Hopefully Ill have an update soon.

What if you had the lenses frame have a backing to it, and the lenses come in from inside the faceshell, and then add little tab things that connect to that with the rubber bands. This would allow more area to work with for a rubber band, so you don't have to worry about the lenses.

Here is my garbage attempt to visualize what I'm trying to say. I have no idea if what i'm saying makes sense.
InkedInked20170806_203929_LI.jpg

This way the mechanism is still within the lens, the only thickness would be with the tabs but that would be inside the faceshell anyway, and you have the simplicity of the rubber band.

Attachments

• Inked20170806_203929_LI.jpg
    Inked20170806_203929_LI.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1,271
Last edited:

What if you had the lenses frame have a backing to it, and the lenses come in from inside the faceshell, and then add little tab things that connect to that with the rubber bands. This would allow more area to work with for a rubber band, so you don't have to worry about the lenses.

Here is my garbage attempt to visualize what I'm trying to say. I have no idea if what i'm saying makes sense.
View attachment 751984

This way the mechanism is still within the lens, the only thickness would be with the tabs but that would be inside the faceshell anyway, and you have the simplicity of the rubber band.

This was my initial plan, but they way that the mesh is attached to the lenses prevents this idea from working the way I want it to, I was able to get a "working" model printed last night, but i accidentally welded them open so I reprinted them and will assemble when I get back home later today. Thanks for the idea tho

No new updates on the lenses since college classes started back up, but I did recieve something pretty exciting in the mail yesterday

Last edited:
Okay, so small update. I have made the face shell from the half mask toy and another spiderman mask as I saw on another thread on the forums. I plan on having two faceshells, one with electronic lenses, and one with the plain magnetic lenses. The suit I have has an attached mask so I will use that for the plain magnetic lenses, but I also purchased an extra separated mask. I will use this for the electronic lenses. I have ordered the shell parts to start constructing the electronic faceshell and they should come in later in the week.

I do also want to mention that I am a student in college and my classes just started back up, so updates may be more spread out than they used to be, but I'll be working on the suit and accessories on weekends and times off.

BZiZwA5.jpg

Attachments

• 20170828_213025.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,211
Last edited:
awesome so far

where is the suit from as looking to do this as a costume too (need to work out first or I'm gonna be beer belly-man)

Did you use the toy mask lenses for the non moving ones>?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back