WoodChuck wants to build Gizmo from 1985 movie My Science Project

The WoodChuck

WoodChuck here. There is a very old thread on this forum about Gizmo. One member has obtained the original drawings
and his replies state that he has digitized them and will be 3D printing them soon.
I have asked for some dimensions from him, but he has not replied.

So I got the DVD from Santa, and now have taken a lot of screen caps to use as a reference.
I am an old school craftsman. I do not have a 3D printer. I build from scratch using mostly wood.
I will share as much as I can during this build. It will be trail and error and the scale will be: TLABTM
(ThatLooks About Right To Me).

The main focus of the prop is the plasma ball. The one in the movie was unique and no longer available.
I used the screen cap showing the side view of Gizmo where the guy is wiping it with a rag. I used his hand
as a scale reference, and determined that a ten inch diameter plasma ball would look about right.
I ordered one from Amazon, and it was delivered the next day, so this build is on!
IMG_1916.JPG my [lasma ball.JPG

Woodchuck here. Anybody know someone here in USA that builds electronic circuits? Looks like I will need a pulsing pink glow, some green LEDs, and a servo control circuit to spin the panel on Gizmo at power on.

Here are some screen grabs from the blu ray, a number of these shots have John Stockwell's hand it in which could help for scale. Notice the attention to detail on the prop.

For whatever reason the pictures wont display so I put them in dropbox: http://goo.gl/9BGoAB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back