TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Beautiful job! The box saber is my favorite out of them all! I'm a big fan of not drilling into the bottom half as well!

I like how you chose rivets! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta give you a special thanks for giving me the idea of filing down the rivets earlier in this thread! Also used double sided tape as you suggested, worked a charm.

The T-tracks are anything but straight:

ttrackz.jpg

I think we need to be looking for 'structural blind rivets' with the correct profile on the head.

When these are popped with the rivet gun, part of the stem stays with the rivet down in the hole for strength. This gives the same look as a cap head screw when installed.

Anyone...anyone...? :lol

no screen captures from the film that i know of can prove anything. all i got is this picture of the prop shop saber... and again i think this brings us back to square one because in all honesty the prop shop saber has its inconsistencies

6.jpg

Right, I would love to use their replica as reference but I agree it's not reliable. Knowing they purchased what, six Graflex flashguns means it could easily be either version, or both.

Alright guys I'm at Disneyland, what did y'all want better pics of?

the T tracks, any chance you can get the side profile of the T track? and when i mean side i mean this kind of angle

T-track-1-940x705.jpg

the rivets/ screws holding the t tracks

the rivet/screws holding the kobold

is the glass eye smoothed or knurled? i honestly forgot

any shots of the brass pins in the side holes

practically any pictures you can grab buddy!!! we owe you one!

I just took a ton of photos. I'll stitch em together when I get home.

Impressions:

T-track looks flush to the body (no glue channel), but it's almost impossible to confirm.

Eye has knurling.

Grips looks like screws. They're very shiny & chamfered. Look machined.

Kobold definitely a clumsy repro. Very thick. Looks like countersunk screws, but not the same as the grips.

The usual clamp-cover. Couldn't see the PCB.

I'll try and come back with a better camera. It was fairly poor lighting conditions : / still shot some useful stuff!

This is all just the Launch Bay, of course.

Last edited:
Given that the TFA saber is idealized from the previous incarnations of this saber and the two (known) hero props from the film have some differences, I think I will just pick the details I like the best... although I may order a second bottom from Roman so I can have long and short grips because I can't decide! Looking forward to the new pics of the Disney saber!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back