ILM Behind the magic "Rogue One" - the first time a making of depresses me...

i have an aversion to 3d printer lines. they make my blood pressure rise and i break out in hives.

To the printers themselves, my only fault with them is that I don't own one! I can't stand the lazy people, on here even, that don't finish their 3D prints and declare themselves a prop builder. Then you STILL have people on here telling them how great it is. No, you just printed something and threw a coat of paint on it!

To the printers themselves, my only fault with them is that I don't own one! I can't stand the lazy people, on here even, that don't finish their 3D prints and declare themselves a prop builder. Then you STILL have people on here telling them how great it is. No, you just printed something and threw a coat of paint on it!

Guilty as charged. See my sig... and that was the last prop I´ve built to date :(

And then we have these guys:
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=155323

I think it's because practical FX are fascinating to see how they did it, everyone enjoys how clever the magician's tricks work.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. It was akin to magic. Heck, they even called it "movie magic".
Those guys were literally creating illusions.
The plane in the background when Rick tells Ilsa "We'll always have Paris"... yah, that was a miniature, and the people milling around it were children.
That scene was shot indoors on a soundstage.
I love CGI when it's done right, but there's no mystery as to how it's done.
The magic is gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa-dGYjSq5k

Last edited:
Awesome, I never knew that about the Casablanca scene. Although, let's face it, they could have put chimps on roller skates back there and everybody would have been too busy looking at Bergman to even notice.

When Coppola made Bram Stoker's Dracula, they decided to do most of the effects in-camera using a bunch of old school techniques. Cinefex #53 covered some of it but there's also a pretty good documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ZERoH0EDI

Yeah seeing a bunch of pre-viz to layered CG work gets incredibly boring after a while. It's really cool and interesting to see just how many layers of process are put in by the finished shot, but mirroring what others have said, none of that is an impressive as watching the practical stuff getting built and figuring out all those physical logistics in the movies. I can't say CG is easy because I sure can't do it well myself, but to me, crafting something that went from noting into something you can feel and see with your own eyes that isn't in a monitor is just an incredible thing.

In the end it's all art, but man were those artists of model and creature building just incredible..

Plus, its not nearly as fun to go to a museum and look at computer screens of the CGI models used in a film.

Ha! I remember when the Seattle Sci-Fi museum announced they were going to have an exhibit for Avatar, and I wondered how they could display cgi?

Sadly, most museum display props and models were created specifically for museums. You're not looking at or enjoying the artistry of the real thing, just a museum showpiece. That's why I love the Chronicles and Archives books. Those are pics of the real things.

Ha! I remember when the Seattle Sci-Fi museum announced they were going to have an exhibit for Avatar, and I wondered how they could display cgi?
I was there a few months ago and didn't see anything from Avatar ( not even the last airbender! ;) ) However there was a huge section with original Star Trek and TNG props.

I was there a few months ago and didn't see anything from Avatar ( not even the last airbender! ;) ) However there was a huge section with original Star Trek and TNG props.
This was less than a year after the movie opened. I don't know how long the display lasted or what it consisted of.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back