Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Ok. Everyone has to keep posting stuff. This is my methadone until mine arrives.

No one excited that the antenna dish and main guns are posable? Anyone?

Agreed. I'm in the same boat. I'm really excited to see what kind of photo etch after market stuff comes out. I think I'm going to leave the cockpit until last as I wait and see if anyone comes out with some alternative ways of lighting the cockpit. I'd really love to get lights on the side walls and dash as well as the back wall.

Ok. Everyone has to keep posting stuff. This is my methadone until mine arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:

definitely excited for the posability. The static canons on the 1/144 were a total bummer

He's talking about painting this beast in sections and then gluing it together after.
Is that how most of you guys build models?
Because I would glue it all together into one solid brick (having painted the interiors first, of course) then paint it all at once.
Not saying he's doing it wrong, just wondering how you guys build models.
I still use Testors in the orange tube - and liberally - because I like my models to be a single chunk of fused plastic.
I got tired of fiddly bits always falling off my models, so I glue everything securely first, before I paint anything.

I haven't glued any of the Bandai kits. I like the freedom of being able to take them apart if I need to.... and I have. It's like the equivalent of the undo button.

Showing my age I guess; but I can't imagine building a model without using any glue.

This is gonna be inaresting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've always painted the exterior of my star wars models after it was assembled. For 3 reasons mainly

1. That's how ILM did it and if I'm going for an ILM paint job I try to duplicate the process as much as possible

2. You run the risk of some of the pieces not fitting correctly. These Bandai kits fit pretty snug to begin with.

3. Continuity in the colors and markings.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm assembling, priming and painting. Except for the turret and cockpit interiors, they are primed and will be getting a coat of gloss black.
22007725_1700993446601938_6435577504544713483_n.jpg22008317_1700993339935282_2457412236893465509_n.jpg22007902_1700991093268840_7613308500408366506_n.jpg22096181_1700935956607687_4298597472881608160_o.jpg

I love that I can see these builds coming along and identify the smallest of kit parts. I see the 8rad and a whole lot of Centurion in those photos and some of those are tiny on the actual kit so I can imagine how tiny they are on this kit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The slots where the piping attaches leave some very noticeable gaps, I don't know how to fill the gaps without gluing them first. And I certainly wouldn't leave the gaps untouched. I also can't stand the though of all those snap joints squeaking whenever I handle it.

The slots where the piping attaches leave some very noticeable gaps, I don't know how to fill the gaps without gluing them first. And I certainly wouldn't leave the gaps untouched. I also can't stand the though of all those snap joints squeaking whenever I handle it.

I see what you mean. And then I had to see what you mean This involved turning the kit upside down and specifically looking for the gaps. They are there, but unless you point them out, with painting and weathering, they will be practically invisible. Also, though I am gluing, the fit on this is incredible.

20170930_082600.jpg20170930_082509.jpg.

I've used liquid cement for all my major joints or to add strength on certain areas on all my Bandai kits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

The SR-71 had gaps in the skin plating all over the place. Sitting on the ramp, the thing leaked fuel like a sieve. Amazing to see.

Once it reached cruise and the skin heated up due to friction, everything expanded and sealed up tight.

So, maybe the Falcon would wrinkle up and tear herself to shreds if those strategically placed gaps weren't there.

Might have to decide if you will be going for an 'on the ramp', or a hyperspace, build... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I paint separate parts that will be fiddly to do later. I paint all major exterior parts at one time to speed up the assembly process. I only glue Bandai parts if they will not seat properly. After all the parts are pushed together, somehow the small gaps usually seem to disappear.

I'm building Bandai's Y-Wing ATM and I can't imagine some of this detail holding without glue over time.

I have a question about adding the extra gear boxes. As I understand it, the 32-inch model has different gear boxes, maybe because it was built that way from ground up. When they added the boxes to the 5-foot model, I don't think they line up quite the same. The way I picture it, one the 32-incher, the outer edges of the front boxes line up with the outer edges of the rear gear box. And that's how I think it is on the FM kit and the DeAgo kit. But on the 5-footer, I don't think it worked out this way. I think the rear box is not as wide as the 32-incher. So adding gear boxes on this Bandai kit will mean the front and back won't quite match or it will be inaccurate. Is that about the size of it.

And I know I'm not the only one who hopes for an ESB ship down the road. It can be without the electronics, ESB, and close to the FM original price--as most/all of the the other Bandai kits are nearly the same exact price as the FM counterpart. And I may not get to this model for a while, giving Bandai a chance to get me what I really want.
Thanks,
Mike Todd

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back