TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Re: That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

It looks like that T track was either cut with a hot knife or molded and cast with pinched and sunken edges

It is hard to tell what is real and what is a red herring, with the exhibition pieces and differing props in each scene. I think I'm gonna wait to some bluray analysis. I think every single saber shown as reference for TFA is different. It is too easy to assume right now, basics such as grip profile, length, type of board used (looks replica, isnt as gold as real connectors), weird filed down glass eye in that one pic etc etc. You could end up with a TFA saber with elements from each source but that is entirely accurate to none.

I'm waiting for the bluray, at least.

Is this pic posted above by RexKramer confirming that a custom tape has been used to cover the Graflex logo on the clamp?

c6xwNyH.jpg

It looks like that T track was either cut with a hot knife or molded and cast with pinched and sunken edges

maybe mold injected? like you say tom the edges all look very smooth

I am at work right now but when I get home I will post a pic of the clamp cover I made today! I used thin T-6 aluminum. just need to cut the small squares out and engraved/stamp the 8 lines

maybe mold injected? like you say tom the edges all look very smooth

Keep in mind, the Kylo saber was 3D printed, as were many other props in this movie. I'm betting they made their own print of t-track and made a mold of that. It's probably quicker to make a bunch of casts than it is to 3D print the same object over and over.

Well thanks for those pictures ... you just confirmed that for TFA or at least this exhibition ... a 'Manufactured by Graflex Inc.' flashgun was used :)

1 vintage G R A F L E X located out of 4 with patent numbers ... and 6 more to go :)

Chaim

Chaim... Are those the flashes provided to production by 3cell?

Rex Kramer's photos really show how flush the t-track is along the body of the flash.

Is this pic posted above by RexKramer confirming that a custom tape has been used to cover the Graflex logo on the clamp?

View attachment 573650

For me, yes. Others disagree.

Regardless of the actual material, though, that overlay is much thinner than the FX clamps, which rules out their use on the LB Orlando saber (left):
24167984156_d7972c776c_o.jpg

And we see in this closeup of the LB Anaheim prop (left) that there is a larger gap between the ends of the lines and the rectangle cut out than on the FX band (right). In addition, the rectangle corners are much sharper than on the FX, and again you see the thickness difference.
(ignore the arrows, they're from a previous photo in this thread)

23565888044_78a5e5458a_o.jpg

I think I got the thickness right on my quick experiment today. Any thoughts ?

The problem we have right now is we don't know what the filming prop really is. We've seen the Wired prop, we've seen the Visual Dictionary prop, we've seen the Launch Bay props, but we dont know if any of those are actually the same as what is in the film. Right now the only reference i would REALLY use is promo shots with the saber in Finn or Rey's hands or film screenshots, and right now we dont have many of those. As others have said, I think we need to wait for the BluRay.

The Launch Bay props are inconsistent among even themselves, and appear to have been made for only that purpose.

Here's the clamp used in TFA from the Maz's treasure chest:
View attachment 571180

Roy

Last edited:

So countersunk hex screws on the d-ring and milled-flat button head hex screws on the grips? Are they just ****ing with us?

Chaim... Are those the flashes provided to production by 3cell?

Affirmative! Indeed 4 from a total of 7 that were purchased back in 2014 :)

cayman shen ... you bet ya! The propmakers are 'fanboy nerds' just like us and know all the nooks and crannies as much as we do ... so they are toying with us :)

Chaim

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd believe that, so far it seems like every graflex we've seen has some feature about it that is unique to itself. Rounded glass eye or ridged, hex screws or rivets on grips, flat shiny clamp wrap or brushed metal looking wrap, they're ALL different.

Howdy folks, have we gotten any clear shots on what we are calling the definitive clamp card?

Reading through this thread and looking at all the photos, it seems like they may be using more than one version.

I would like to offer a TFA clamp card alongside the rest of my cards, but I would like to start with the "most accepted" layout for TFA. I just got done with all my holidays and now can focus on this.

Howdy folks, have we gotten any clear shots on what we are calling the definitive clamp card?

Reading through this thread and looking at all the photos, it seems like they may be using more than one version.

I would like to offer a TFA clamp card alongside the rest of my cards, but I would like to start with the "most accepted" layout for TFA. I just got done with all my holidays and now can focus on this.

I've seen this:

5uP0IdL.jpg

Fathead poster

and this:
1MSqfgs.jpg

Promo banner / Poster

which looks like this to me:
hLNaUxv.png

On the other hand, I've seen this:
UYEqLbUm.jpg

Launch Bay

and this:
eeRRa2S.jpg

Wired photoshoot

which looks like this to me:
DeqUfRR.png

(Wrong color board and also excuse the 2 minute photoshop job)

Please someone tell me if I'm seeing the promo/Fathead one wrong. I'd like some clarification myself...

The correct T-track for this saber will be issue for a reproduction unless someone replicates them.

That's a Graflex, right (Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)?

Regardless of the actual material, though, that overlay is much thinner than the FX clamps, which rules out their use on the LB Orlando saber (left):

And we see in this closeup of the LB Anaheim prop (left) that there is a larger gap between the ends of the lines and the rectangle cut out than on the FX band (right). In addition, the rectangle corners are much sharper than on the FX, and again you see the thickness difference.
(ignore the arrows, they're from a previous photo in this thread)

I agree with all your observations. The FX clamp is 0.4mm thick. I think the sheet metal used (probably a stainless steel) is thinner, maybe 0.2mm. And indeed all details are sharper than the FX clamps. And if the FX clamps were used, they would have kept the bend edges underneath the bars for easy and secure assembly. This to me also shows that a custom part was used.

I don't know if the versions we've seen thus far are very different from each other, but I agree that waiting for the Blu-ray is best. But I'm not sure if I want to wait for that. I already started working on the clamp cover and edge connector card.

So far, my gut feeling is that the photo in Wired (same as in the Visual Dictionary) is the hero saber:

http://i.imgur.com/eeRRa2S.jpg

Roy

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back