A Galactica Christmas

ringa

For Christmas I received the Moebius Cylon Raider and the Moebius TOS Galactica, as well as the book Battlestar Galactica Vault.

Compared to the original Monogram kit, the TOS Galactica is far superior in proportions and detail. Not perfect, but this is the kit I wished Monogram released back in 1978. I love how smooth and seamless the Moebius kits go together. They all are engineered very well. This TOS kit is the same size as the old Monogram. Putting them side-by-side makes all the major flaws in the old kit stand out like a sore thumb (more so than usual). I love this new kit.

I started painting by covering it with a dark gray spray paint (Tamiya), then I airbrushed the entire model with the lightest gray Tamiya offers. I know the filming model looks practically white like a Star Destroyer, but when I see the Big G I want it to have a bit of a gray tint to it. The stripes; I decided that I would forego the red stripes on the decal sheet and just paint them on. Painting the stripes gives it a far better finish...flat, dark red with no sheen. The down side of doing it that way is that it takes hours and hours of masking tiny areas over and around small details. But the results look so much better than decals. The only decals on the model are the "GALACTICAs".

P1030349_zpscd9c800b.jpg

P1030354_zps83d46b56.jpg

P1030351_zpsd1ab812a.jpg

P1030361_zps8440d5be.jpg

P1030357_zpsab20e7e2.jpg

P1030356_zps3c45d201.jpg

P1030352_zps8f5a9d4d.jpg

P1030358_zps2f237e6c.jpg

P1030365_zps8446445a.jpg

I was very impressed with how accurate the Cylon Raider seems to be. The reviews I read online were very favorable. The reproduced, kit bashed parts are all very well done, and some could easily be replaced with actual kit parts (most of them were molded to the main body, though done very well as to not take anything away from their details).

Because I plan to take this model into the studio, I had to make some interior alterations. I didn't even bother with the clear display stand that came with it. The model needed to have three mounting points. This was easy to accomplish. I merely fitted the lower body with a heavy brass tube that runs fore to aft. I had to take a dremel to the rather sizable fitting pins that would have gotten in the way of the brass tube. Then, using a two-part putty that becomes rock-solid when cured, I affixed the tube in place. The designers of this kit may have suspected people like me would want to convert it, so the pieces that go on each end are made so that they can act as plugs to the brass tube. I just had to epoxy plastic tubes on each part so they can fit more snug into the tube openings. With the front and back mounting points complete, I simply drilled a hole through the bottom of the hull that also went through the middle of the brass tube. It's a smaller hole than the ends, so it will accommodate my stand perfectly without weakening the tube.

With mounting points completed, I then finished construction of the kit. Then came the part I always look forward to... painting. The kit was molded in a very light gray. I used black to cover the whole thing first. Then a gray coat over the black. I did not glue the cockpit canopy so I could paint it separate from the rest, first black, then the gray details were masked off. The only decals that come with the kit are the Cylon logos for the wings, but they included in the instruction sheets patterns for the stripes that go on the top wings. I just cut them out, taped the positive cut outs to the model, used them as a guide for the masking tape to be placed around them, then I removed the paper cut outs and airbrushed the stencil with Tamiya Nato Black, which is a very dark gray, a step below black. I then took sandpaper to the hull and scuffed up the surface a bit here and there. After that I weathered it using a combination of dark and light grays to add streaks and impact spots. I then did the same to the bottom hull, adding the four stripes and weathering.

front_zps0eef9042.jpg

bottom_front_zps0504fb24.jpg

bottom_back_zps826b1683.jpg

front_back_zpsc1e51e35.jpg

back_zpsc79de6fd.jpg

P1030349_zpscd9c800b.jpg

P1030354_zps83d46b56.jpg

P1030351_zpsd1ab812a.jpg

P1030361_zps8440d5be.jpg

P1030357_zpsab20e7e2.jpg

P1030356_zps3c45d201.jpg

P1030352_zps8f5a9d4d.jpg

P1030358_zps2f237e6c.jpg

P1030365_zps8446445a.jpg

front_zps0eef9042.jpg

bottom_front_zps0504fb24.jpg

bottom_back_zps826b1683.jpg

front_back_zpsc1e51e35.jpg

back_zpsc79de6fd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
great job!!!

good move on painting the stripes instead of decals, it looks so much better.

I fell in love with the Moebius kits they are so easy to work with, I finished my Cylon Raider 3 weeks ago but I painted the green emblems on the wings using some stencils I got online, I'm now working on the Viper which is ready for painting which again will paint all the red/orange stripes, I will go pick up the Galactica next. You can see my built Cylon here. http://www.therpf.com/f10/cylon-raider-moebius-kit-finished-230726/

Gerardo

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments and for the link, GF, to your Cylon build that looks great. Where did you get the stencils? I don't like the decals on mine. How do you like the Viper? How does it compare to the Revell kit? I have the Revell and thought it was pretty decent, so I was thinking about passing on the Moebius kit, unless there is something about it that makes it much more accurate. Is there?

Here is my Revell Viper with my Mobius MkII (also with painted stripes):

Your Galactica and Raider are both terrific, as are your Vipers, but the Raider is unquestionably my favorite. Your minimal paint details and judicious weathering make it look like one of the filming models, which (as I'm sure you know) were surprisingly devoid of paint work. Seriously strong work!
(y)thumbsup

Your Galactica and Raider are both terrific, as are your Vipers, but the Raider is unquestionably my favorite. Your minimal paint details and judicious weathering make it look like one of the filming models, which (as I'm sure you know) were surprisingly devoid of paint work. Seriously strong work!
(y)thumbsup

Thanks! You're right, I didn't want to over do the weathering on the Raider for that fact, yet I didn't want it to have none at all. As for the Galactica, my good friend was responsible for the restoration of the filming model last year. You can read about it here if you haven't already: http://www.therpf.com/f10/original-battlestar-galactica-studio-model-flies-again-212246/
He told me there was no weathering at all on the Galactica, and that its original paint job was white like a Star Destroyer. It looked gray on screen because of lighting and compositing. I saw the filming model up close at Universal back in 1991. It looked gray then, but that was apparently due to age, and also might be due to the fact that it was being displayed in a window where the sun was beating down on it for far too long. Even though it was white, I painted my Moebius light gray, as that's how I saw it on TV.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back