Back to the Future Marty's Holographic Cap (BTTF)

Re: Where to buy accurate BTTF2 cap?

Was watching Predator and noticed Carl Weathers' hat has the shape. Maybe they based it on a military cap.

500px-PredatorHK94chopped-16.jpg

That doesn't look like it's the pattern of the panels so much as it has a some kind of stiff piece in the front of the crown.

Indy Magnoli, I do not think anyone would care if an insert would have to be used to keep the shape. As long as it doesn't make the hat uncomfortable we will be ok with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

@MitasTouch
The Vietnam caps had stiffeners I think based on this image...
DSC09442.jpg
I think If Magnoli put a stiffener in it would be fine. If someone were to buy one of these and disassemble it and create a pattern, I think it would make a very accurate hat.

It's not the military cap. And it would not make a very accurate hat.

Look at the picture in this post.....
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144604&page=6&p=4307877&viewfull=1#post4307877

Notice how the panel on the side of the hat is basically a giant square with a point on top.

Now look at that picture you posted, the side profile of the military hat.
Notice how the same panel is a triangle.

That tells you right there it is not the same pattern. The military cap is too rounded.

Last edited:

I'm going to have a look around locally to see if I can find some square-shaped trucker caps and normal lower-profile caps and perhaps "frankenstitch" a couple together to make a "perfect" pattern cap.

It's not the military cap. And it would not make a very accurate hat.

Look at the picture in this post.....
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144604&page=6&p=4307877&viewfull=1#post4307877

Notice how the panel on the side of the hat is basically a giant square with a point on top.

Now look at that picture you posted, the side profile of the military hat.
Notice how the same panel is a triangle.

That tells you right there it is not the same pattern. The military cap is too rounded.
i guess so....

I'm going to have a look around locally to see if I can find some square-shaped trucker caps and normal lower-profile caps and perhaps "frankenstitch" a couple together to make a "perfect" pattern cap.
sounds like a good plan Indy Magnoli

i guess so....

sounds like a good plan Indy Magnoli

Basically everyone else thought the same thing too. Trucker hat or something like that military cap, at first.

The side panels being straight and tall like the front panels is a relatively new revelation. Despite all of us looking at the hat from all angles for who knows how long.

Did they not try making a sample cap from the pattern I posted, or was it off somehow? That one page document contains both necessary panel patterns, the one symmetrical pattern used for the two front/two side panels, and a curved line showing where to make the alternate side cut for the two asymmetrical rear panels.

Oddly, it seems that they don't like working from patterns provided. So, I may create a hat from scratch myself based on your pattern since trying to find the "perfect" cap may not be a practical option.

Just a thought, these neon hats were popular in the late 80s / early 90s. They had inserts sewn into the front (I remember flipping them down over my eyes because they looked like see-through sleeping masks). Maybe they were the inspiration? The shape seems close. You can see more images in this listing. The pics aren't sharp but I'm sure there are better pics out there.

s-l1600.jpg

Just a thought, these neon hats were popular in the late 80s / early 90s. They had inserts sewn into the front (I remember flipping them down over my eyes because they looked like see-through sleeping masks). Maybe they were the inspiration? The shape seems close. You can see more images in this listing. The pics aren't sharp but I'm sure there are better pics out there.

View attachment 757384
Yeah but doesn't the screenused hat have a full seam down the front?

Yeah but still :lol
I think a few of us should buy different types of hats and disassemble them and see what we get. I personally think they didn't have straight sides... I thinks it's the way the stiffener pushes the material and the perspective.

I just saw a hat that looks pretty close in shape (with six panels... usually trucker caps have 5 panels like those neon ones just posted). I'm going to try and find one to send to our factory (the hat I saw belonged to someone else... but it brings us a bit closer). Stay tuned!

I found this cap... the crown looks pretty good (it's fitted for a size 7 1/2", which is a large size, hence the slightly wider rear panels). The brim is shorter than the 2015 cap, so ignore that.

WrpQLlU.jpg

XkI6DRj.jpg

GbaxMVg.jpg

What do you think?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back