Wonder Woman

I actually put off seeing GotG2 for this movie.
I'm poor. Movies are a luxury for me.
I went and saw LOGAN first weekend, because Wolverine and James Mangold.
I wanted to see GotG2, but my friends just weren't available.
Wonder Woman I am seeing opening night, period.

I grew up with Wonder Woman and The Bionic Woman and Charlie's Angels and ALIEN and Star Wars...
Girls kicking ass is so much more interesting to me than macho meatheads acting macho.
(I honestly couldn't care less about that Rambo bull$h!t.)
Girls rule. This movie looks frakking AWESOME.

I grew up with Wonder Woman and The Bionic Woman and Charlie's Angels and ALIEN and Star Wars...
Girls kicking ass is so much more interesting to me than macho meatheads acting macho.

Did you ever see "Drive" with Gosling?
I bet that one would work for you.

Wow ok, a certified fresh at 95% ! It probably won't stay as high, although who knows, but still, that's fairly impressive ! And more so I read someone comparing this Diana to the JL/JLU one, which I couldn't be happier about.
That's higher than The Dark Knight, which is to me still the top dog of them all, almost 10 years after its release. I was having some slight buyers' remorse about spending 100$ in a train ticket, but now that's completely gone for sure. Hell, now I'm contemplating moving my train earlier, and just taking a day off. That's certainly the first film in a while that got me that impatient to see !

Make a whole day of it, treat yourself to a nice meal wherever you have to travel to, read some Wonder Woman on the train etc. It'll be great! At least you'll feel like you've spread the cost of the train ticket a little more if you do a few more things with the day :)

I'M GOING TO SEE THIS FILM IN FOURTEEN HOURS AND NINE MINUTES

NINE HOURS TWENTY SIX MINUTES

200_s.gif

Why do you find girls kicking ass so much more interesting than men? Im genuinely asking, not making it weird, just asking.

I hope you're right, but they certainly had no problem pushing her movie back in order to make room for yet another Spider-Man movie.

That's partially because the deal with Sony is essentially a "lease", not them returning the rights entirely to Marvel Studios. Marvel have the IP for a limited time and set number of films (Civil War, Homecoming, Infinity War, and three others yet to be fully nailed down), then Sony get him back to do whatever.

But only partially. Phase 3 has been an ongoing WIP. Ant-Man was originally planned as the first Phase 3 film, but got re-contextualized as the last film of Phase 2, making Civil War the first of Phase3, which now was also going to be introducing Peter/Spidey to the MCU. He's going to be playing a role in Infinity War, which even by the original release schedule came before the standalone Captain Marvel movie. So he's getting a standalone film between his supporting role in Civil War to develop his character and set the stage for his role in Infinity War. Carol Danvers, OTOH, is likely only going to be introduced in Infinity War, possibly already have her powers, possibly gain them -- but either way the character was going to be developed in her own film after Infinity War. Nothing's changed there. Marvel are keeping the release dates of the next two Avengers films set, Ragnarok got moved back to Black Panther's slot, and Black Panther is now in early 2018 before Infinity War.

Captain Marvel got bumped one more film back with the addition of Ant-Man & the Wasp to the Phase 3 lineup. I roll my eyes at anyone hollering sexism there, as Hope is going to be playing a co-primary role in this film, and the Powers That Be at Marvel have included Cassie Lang and are doing right by her character. Between that, Sharon Carter, and the contortions Marvel went through to find a way to include Wanda, many of us are hopeful that we'll get an MCU version of the Young Avengers a decade or so down the road, with Cassie taking over for her dad, Wanda and Vision's kids, and Sharon taking over for Cap. So with the Ant-Man movies developing two strong female characters (and, while Hope is listed as one of the character in "Avengers 4", Scott isn't -- make of that what you will), I have no problem with Carol's movie getting bumped one more back.

To me, it speaks well of Marvel that they just rejiggered their release schedule to accommodate the two new ones they added rather than cancel any of the ones the had in the pipeline beyond reworking Inhumans as a TV series rather than another movie in the increasingly-crowded Phase 3 or bumping it back to Phase 4. As things have evolved, the fourth Avengers movie is also no longer "Infinity War, Part 2" as, per the Russos, "the movies are two very different movies" and thus calling it that they felt was "misleading". They have their vision at Marvel and are sticking to it, adjusting and adapting as things change and evolve, but I have yet to see them wholesale scrub something before it starts.

[And as for the new Ghostbusters film, Neil's problem, my problem, and many other people's problem was that the casting wasn't an organic part of the creative process -- it was the cart before the horse. "We're going to do an all-female Ghostbusters" before they even had a rough idea of the story. That's gimmicky. Stunt casting. That's what we had a problem with. Would have had the same reaction to any sort of announcement like that, for any property. We got as strident as we did because that point kept getting dismissed and drowned out by those saying we were just opposed to women being Ghostbusters. From my movie-buff experience, the way to do that would have been to just do it -- don't shout it from the rooftops, don't brag about how inclusive and diverse you're being. Like with Fantastic Beasts -- Newt is autistic. It's obvious to anyone watching it. But no one involved in the movie said that word once in interviews -- they just showed an autistic person doing stuff in the world, winning allies and facing adversaries and ultimately triumphing.]

@Fawbish, I should have been more clear. I was not trying to imply a compare-and-contrast between Marvel and DC's approach to female characters. I was trying more to say that Marvel does not so disregard their female characters as to cavalierly cancel one of their films just because a female-led one from a competing studio did badly (which WW isn't).

As for your other points... I thought Lois was cast well and written well. Amy Adams is, IMO, the best live-action Lois Lane we've ever had. My main criticisms of both her and Harley are that DC are rushing things. Lois' romance with Superman in MOS felt forced/rushed to a lot of us who were watching it. Even Tony an dPepper were allowed to have two films two let the tension/attraction between them evolve into an actual romance, and they were introduced in the first film as already having been working together for years. The criticism I and many have for Suicide Squad is mostly that we felt it would have worked far better if we'd been introduced to those characters as villains in prior (nonexistent) DCCU films, so we knew them when we saw them in SS. As it was, we had no real connection to them, except as some of us might know them through the comics, and too many of them to effectively develop in the run-time they had to work with. Plus, Margot nailed Harley (she's a fan), but she -- and I -- hated the costume. She wanted something more like the animated or video game Harley. And so do I.

Honestly, I'd forgotten Lara was even in MOS. Thinking back, intellectually, I know she was. I know she and Jor-El had interaction., But it made no lasting impression on me. I remember the Council, I remember Zod's attempted coup, I remember him and Jor-El fighting... I remember her and Zod facing off not at all. Guess I'll have to go back and watch it again. I still feel that whole first act would have made a great "Last Days of Krypton" series, rather than taking up so much of the film. *shrug* Faora was spectacular, though, yes.

As for your MCU women comments... Pepper and Jane are a matter of real-world interference. Gwyneth and Natalie were only contracted for the character-specific films. The filmmakers negotiated specifically with Gwyneth to have her in the first Avengers film. If Age of Ultron had been split into two parts, a lot of things might have had more time to develop organically -- my main criticism for the film. I'd have to dig, but I can't remember if the choice to not have Pepper was hers or Marvel's. But paying a lot to have her, essentially, just at the party, I can see why they didn't want to. As for Jane, Natalie's been trying to get out of the role since The Dark World. I have no difficulty seeing her turn down requests to be in non-Thor MCU films.

Natasha is a psychological mess, so I see everything we have of her in the MCU to be consistent. ;)

Hoping to see WW this weekend. And I still feel Gal is wasted in the role. I still feel she'd've made an utterly perfect Catwoman/Selina.

--Jonah

[And as for the new Ghostbusters film, Neil's problem, my problem, and many other people's problem was that the casting wasn't an organic part of the creative process -- it was the cart before the horse. "We're going to do an all-female Ghostbusters" before they even had a rough idea of the story. That's gimmicky. Stunt casting. That's what we had a problem with. Would have had the same reaction to any sort of announcement like that, for any property. We got as strident as we did because that point kept getting dismissed and drowned out by those saying we were just opposed to women being Ghostbusters. From my movie-buff experience, the way to do that would have been to just do it -- don't shout it from the rooftops, don't brag about how inclusive and diverse you're being. Like with Fantastic Beasts -- Newt is autistic. It's obvious to anyone watching it. But no one involved in the movie said that word once in interviews -- they just showed an autistic person doing stuff in the world, winning allies and facing adversaries and ultimately triumphing.]
/QUOTE]

Bingo. but of course most already know that...but because people not only ignored it, but piled on with other pointless crap to distract people from it, it's one reason why i just bothered to stop trying to discuss the movie, cause it just got too insane... and just had fun 100% trashing it. rather than 50% trashing it :). of course, people wound up liking that even less ;o). never again will i follow something so closely. not healthy.

I'm happy that for the most part, WW has avoided such nonsense up until a bit ago. and at least that wasn't the production company doing it. so in a sense, it's still avoided such nonsense.

Anyway, back on topic..

Most reviews I've seen seem to be people enjoying it. i haven't spotted any from folks i know not to swing things yet from the 'major' people i follow in the media, so i will wait till their opinion on the matter before i decide to take a chance on this one.

I'm so annoyed at DC for not only screwing up superman with a depressing, boring outing, but doing the same to batman too, that it's going to take a huge hurtle to make me think they found the right tone for this one.. let alone JL. considering they are doing these movies ALL out of order.

As to Captain Marvel, maybe I am being a bit paranoid, but look at the state of comics and comic movies and tell me concern is not at least a little justified.

Oh, and as to this... Marvel's comics and film divisions are run by different people, with different ideas of storytelling, how to handl echaracters, and real-world politics that I won't get into here. The comics having Steve turn out ot have really, truly been HYDRA all along was a direct middle-finger to how well the movies are doing. People saying to boycott Marvel's movies because Marvel have made this bad character decision in the comics or cancelled that comic series entirely are only helping those making those decisions. The best way to effect change for the better in the comics is to vote with your dollars at the box office. If you prefer the MCU version of Cap, watch his movies and don't buy his comics. But don't for an instant think that what they're doing with the characters over in the print division is reflective of how they're regarded in the film division. Odds are it's exactly the opposite -- especially where women, LGBTQ, non-Caucasian, and non-Christian characters are concerned (frankly I'm amazed the Kamala Khan Miss Marvel series is still going -- I love it muchly, but it so clashes with the views of the person running Marvel Comics currently...).

--Jonah

I'm happy that for the most part, WW has avoided such nonsense up until a bit ago. and at least that wasn't the production company doing it. so in a sense, it's still avoided such nonsense.

The movie promotion has been handled very well. I'm excited to see it. True that the usual morons are still out there (even a few on here who still don't seem to be capable of having an opinion without personally attacking someone to show how sensitive and egalitarian they are), but that doesn't have anything to do with the movie itself. Can't blame the movie for that, and based on what we've been hearing/seeing so far I'm betting it will be the big hit DC has been praying for.

Traditionally, gender roles have the men as the warriors and the women as the nurturers. Seeing a woman take on non-stereotypical gender roles and do so well is always something cool to watch.
See to me, I dont really care who kicks ass, as long as someone is kicking ass so I never thought of it that way. I grew up in the 80s so to see musclebound heroes kicking ass was always cool to me, and seeing girls kick ass was cool too, but I never thought "hey girls kicking ass is way more interesting than having a guy do it". Just a thought. Take Furiosa from Mad Max. I freaking loved that character, I just hope the themes in WW arent hamfisted girl power type of things getting preachy. I dont like when anyone does that kind of stuff, male, female, animal, vegetable, mineral etc. :lol

I hope Wonder Woman does well though, she was always rad in the Justice League cartoon, if she has a romantic thing with Batman in the movies I will fanboy so hard. Im still not seeing Justice League in theaters though. Just sayin.

See to me, I dont really care who kicks ass, as long as someone is kicking ass so I never thought of it that way. I grew up in the 80s so to see musclebound heroes kicking ass was always cool to me, and seeing girls kick ass was cool too, but I never thought "hey girls kicking ass is way more interesting than having a guy do it".

i'm just going to leave this word of wisdom right here....for all the good it'll do :)

As for WW reviews, most seem to be enjoying it. as i said before, i'll be pleasantly surprised if wb managed to get even a half way watchable movie finally done.

Not spoilers but don't read on if you don't want my reaction!

It was beautiful. Y'all know I prefer DCEU anyhow but that is irrelevant to why I thought this was great. As a standalone film, it's solid. The first two thirds had me all over the place emotionally, with brilliant hero moments, natural comedy, and warm characters that you get behind. The third act unfortunately just didn't work as well as I would have liked it to, but it was still fine. I don't think there's any part of the movie that was "bad" whatever that means. And there are so many moments to just enjoy and revel in. She kicks complete ass. And Gal Gadot slays it. She plays the role at the various stages in the characters life with so much feeling. Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back