Solo: A Star Wars Story

Watched it for the first time because I just never got around to going to see it in the theatre. I enjoyed it.

I picked it up last week and it was basically sold out at Target and Walmart near me.

I think this is one that will finally see it's market in the home release. I get why people didn't go to see it, no need to rehash all of that. I, myself didn't go see it, but not for most of those reasons, I'm just pretty much done with the theater experience. I didn't even see Infinity War at the theater.

I think time and word-of-mouth will see this movie get it's due because IMO it's actually a pretty damn good movie.

I think this is one that will finally see it's market in the home release. I get why people didn't go to see it, no need to rehash all of that. I, myself didn't go see it, but not for most of those reasons, I'm just pretty much done with the theater experience. I didn't even see Infinity War at the theater.

I think time and word-of-mouth will see this movie get it's due because IMO it's actually a pretty damn good movie.

It could be that they simply didn't make that many copies after seeing it do poorly in the theater. That's why it seems to be selling out really well in certain locations.

I did go see it in the theater. Just from a technical standpoint, very disappointing due to how dark the movie was shot. It was hard to see anything.

I'm still buying everything on disc (though I certainly don't buy movies like I used to) and ripping them for my Plex server. There's definitely a part of me that doesn't trust these services to forever recognize my purchase, silly as that sounds.
This is exactly what I do, and for exactly the reason you describe here. Plex is awesome: personal Netflix.

I know disc media is dying, but I’ll continue to buy them over digital or streaming until the day where the quality is the same. Right now there’s a big enough difference to notice. The convenience is there with digital but I’d rather have higher bitrates and lossless audio :)

finally saw it. Not great but not bad, maybe a 3 out of 5
one thing I did have a issue was, how Han got his last name, kind of cheesy or cop out.

But one thing I did like was Darth Maul's design look. I hope we get more still images and a 1/6 scale Sideshow or Hot Toys figure.
And of course some cosplayers
I thought Maul looked awesome

Just bought it from Amazon digital and watched it again tonight with my wife. Genuine smiles and laughs along the way. It was not a bad movie by any means. It may have moved a little too fast in some spots and there are some chringe moments, but certainly not near as many as TLJ!

One thing I hate about it as how he was given a last name.... not cool.

I finally saw the movie yesterday and going by this thread and others at the RPF was prepared to see the worst movie ever made. I actually enjoyed it and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I loved the interaction between Han and Lando. I've heard the complaint many times about how Han came by his last name and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I also respect the opinions of those who don't like the movie and hope they respect mine without telling me how stupid I am for liking a movie they don't like.

If they would have hired an amateurs "actor" like Inbooger just so he could do a bad Harrison Ford impression for two ours, the public would have roasted Disney for making such a rookie mistake.

Don't sweat it man. Haters gonna hate. I've come to the conclusion that the only things folks who hate SOLO hate more than the movie itself, is the fact that they're seeing other people enjoy it. :p

Don't sweat it man. Haters gonna hate. I've come to the conclusion that the only things folks who hate SOLO hate more than the movie itself, is the fact that they're seeing other people enjoy it. :p

I couldn't have said it better myself. For every one person (like myself) that enjoyed it very much there are two haters that get their blood pressure up.:lol

If they would have hired an amateurs "actor" like Inbooger just so he could do a bad Harrison Ford impression for two ours, the public would have roasted Disney for making such a rookie mistake.

And what exactly elevates Ehrinriech out of amateur status? He was basically known for one small role in a moderately successful production. He didnt do a bad job in Solo but by no means did he redefine the character or even do anything remotely memorable as the mundane script didnt require it. At the very least Ingruber would have given a tangible hook and he does an excellent Harrison Ford impression by the way..I think its safe to say the public did roast Disney by staying away and making it the worst performed Star Wars movie in history. It might do well in home sales but Disney only make money once out of that.The shareholders want people going to the movies multiple times.

Saw it today, meh. Worst lighting in a Star Wars movie ever. What was the DOP thinking?

Even though I liked the movie I agree with this. I know in some scenes they were going for less lighting and those worked for the most part but there were others that they really needed more lighting so that you could at least see what was going on.

finally saw it. Not great but not bad, maybe a 3 out of 5
one thing I did have a issue was, how Han got his last name, kind of cheesy or cop out.

But one thing I did like was Darth Maul's design look. I hope we get more still images and a 1/6 scale Sideshow or Hot Toys figure.
And of course some cosplayers
I thought Maul looked awesome
That I hated - Maul was killed in the Phantom Menace. Yes perhaps they made a mistake in killing off what may have worked out to be a good long term villain, but I hate this thing that he survived being cut in half just shows how cr@p the stories have been post rotj (bar R1 which fits well into the OT)!

It's not a bad movie, but it's not a great movie either. It came across to me as being a bit lazy. Most Star Wars movies have at least one pretty large action sequence that stands out and I don't feel that this one did. And the reuse of music from previous movies was definitely lazy. This is the first Star Wars I didn't see in the theater, and I'd be okay with a sequel, but probably still wouldn't make the trip to the theater.

I enjoyed Solo. I just didn't enjoy the casting of Alden nor his BAD impersonation of Ford which required an acting coach. He didn't have the looks, voice or height of Ford. Ingruber has them all.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back