HELP I need some prop aging advice.

Superman

I'm searching around the web looking for techniques that can help age or weather a metallic Finnish. I have seen a powder that brushes on to give a blackened aged look., but no idea what that powder is called. Anyone ever use the aging powder I'm referring to? It may be a makeup product. For the most part I use an airbrush for aging but I know theres a lot of techniques out there and I'd love to learn them all. What do you use?

Can you be more specific? What is the metallic finish? Whats it on? Is it a painted (rattle can) metallic finish or real metal finish. This will help with proper advice

Dry-brushing and a wash would work with simple flat black paint. But as Customrelic says, it would be best to know the exact metal finish as different metals age/weather/corrode differently. A photo of what you're trying to age would definitely help.

TazMan2000

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I should of been more specific. The metallic finish I've worked with is just painted on metallic paint. Either spray or brush on paint. I found this Awesome Avengers infinity gauntlet build on youtube that showed the brushed on aging process around 2:08 but no mention of what it is. https://youtu.be/hISgV8AsH3I

That video watched on 0.25 speed, looks like he airbrushes in some different gold tones. Then hand brushes on some fine powder much like dropshipbob suggests. If you brush in a powder you'll need to seal it as it will come off on your hands.A black wash would give it a similar finish and wouldn't come off as much once dried if not sealed.

There are also some products out there that use real metal particles in them that can be activated/corroded to give an actual patina or look of real corroded metal because it is in fact actual corroded metal. Modernmasters is one brand though they seem to be mostly household paint suppliers. Liquid Iron is another. These are just the two I found doing a quick search. You might also want to go looking around for weathering techniques.

Thank you penabled Theres a lot of aging and distressing techniques out there. Its hard to know which ones will work best for my builds. Thanks for the information everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I swear by is graphite. You can get it at the art store super cheap in either pencil leads or in square chunks. I scrape some off with the back of an x-acto blade and rub it on the edges where you want a subtle metallic sheen. When layered with washes and paint there is nothing better for looking like exposed metal because that is basically what it is.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back