Luke ESB Frankensaber Finished!

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
hi all
Pretty excited about this build.Calling this a Frankensaber because it a different parts from different places. IMG_20180203_163536.jpgIMG_20180203_163522.jpgIMG_20180204_003902.jpgIMG_20180204_010138.jpgIMG_20180204_013755.jpgIMG_20180204_013735.jpgIMG_20180204_013839.jpgIMG_20180204_014318.jpgIMG_20180204_013657.jpg Been wanting a vintage Graflex for a while now but didnt want to donate a kidney so I bought this pile of parts. The empty top is a vintage graflex. I have a mix of parts enough to put it back together. I began by cleaning the upper half that had some scum that came off with alcohol. Then a light polish with metal polish. Then the assembly. Bulb contact went In then the bunny ears. Knobs from the graflex shop. Then put on the clamp and the bottom that I made. The clamp is a korbanth so there's no tabs. Have a repro coming from Romans. When I get that I will install my grips and Koblod d ring. She's pretty beat and scarred but that's the Star Wars Universe right?. Enjoy

Last edited:
Re: Luke ESB Frankensaber!

Thanks. Gonna get my vintage brass pins in today. Slide switch will have to be glued on. Hate to do that but don't have the internals to keep it on the way it's supposed to be. Also need a screw for the back to keep the bulb connector in

Not sure what you're using for the internals, but maybe you could glue a micro sliding switch inside, then glue the side switch to that so it can still slide back and forth?

Using vintage internals but it's missing the little metal springs and brass peices to make it work.

I think so....just wasn't happy with my results. I may turn the hardware saber into a custom build.

Was thinking that. Have a 3dprinter that I'm still dealing in and will look for the files for the shroud

Hi all not much progress. Still waiting on my Romans clamp so I can properly line up the grips. I bought a set of korbanth grips that I plan to use. Should I leave the nub on the bottom or grind it off? I know that n the Korbanth bottoms the nub on the grips fits into holes at the bottom. My bottom tube is aluminum so I'm not worried about making holes in it. I plan to cut the grips for The ESB pattern.

Hi all not much progress. Still waiting on my Romans clamp so I can properly line up the grips. I bought a set of korbanth grips that I plan to use. Should I leave the nub on the bottom or grind it off? I know that n the Korbanth bottoms the nub on the grips fits into holes at the bottom. My bottom tube is aluminum so I'm not worried about making holes in it. I plan to cut the grips for The ESB pattern.
I'd grind the nubs off if I were you. Much easier than trying to drill holes for the nubs to fit in.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Ok so.....I notched the Korbanth grips to ESB grips. Also cut the nub off the bottom. One grip became a casualty, and one notch is slightly off a little. First time doing this and need to know how badly did I do here? I used my shopsmith machine with a Dremel grinding stone to make the notches. Set it up kinda like a table saw only having the Stone above the table and sliding the grips under it.IMG_20180218_172959.jpgIMG_20180218_172937.jpg

Ok so.....I notched the Korbanth grips to ESB grips. Also cut the nub off the bottom. One grip became a casualty, and one notch is slightly off a little. First time doing this and need to know how badly did I do here? I used my shopsmith machine with a Dremel grinding stone to make the notches. Set it up kinda like a table saw only having the Stone above the table and sliding the grips under it.View attachment 796596View attachment 796597
That's not bad, really. The original grips are all kinds of jagged. To smooth things over, you can go over the grips with some #0000 steel wool. That stuff is awesome. Looking good!

Hi all!
Got more
Done on the FrankenIMG_20180225_142856.jpgIMG_20180225_142257.jpgIMG_20180225_131315.jpgIMG_20180225_124255.jpgIMG_20180225_204145.jpg saber. After notching out the korbanth grips I drilled out the holes in the grips and in the bottom tube. I decided to go with rivets instead of screws I just like the way they look a lot more. I then put the kobold d-ring on the bottom and I'm pretty happy with the way this is looking now. Almost done just need a clamp now.

Pretty good. I acquired some parts for my WIP, but managed to completely foul up the tube. Even though when I laid it out it looked okay, the screw hole and slots on the bottom of the saber ended up way off center! Oh well... Keep me in mind if you decide to sell that Korbanth clamp.

Hi all .
Just an update on my Saber....just about done! I received my custom saber shop clamp and was pretty happy with it. Just a couple of small things and it's done! Here's picsIMG_20180404_221148.jpg

Finally finished my saber! Added folmer pins, the screw on the back and the rivet head screw to the bunny ears! Not the best looking or all vintage but the Luke ESB saber has all ways been my favorite. It's the one that I've tried to replicate the most and the lightsaber was my first prop i ever built. Thanks to all who have helped me with parts and advice!IMG_20180612_230359.jpgIMG_20180612_230527.jpgIMG_20180612_230542.jpg

Very cool, mate! I think that the Luke ESB saber is my favorite; its definitely my favorite graflex saber. One suggestion: let the top part sit in an ammonia vapor bath overnight to age the brass bits. It totally adds that extra degree of mojo.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back