3d Printed Shore Trooper helmet

beerman

Hi all. I've been a lurker for a while now so thought I'd make an account and actually show what I'm building. I've done a few helmets now (this being my 5th helmet but first shore trooper).

It's 3d printed but as far as I'm aware the model is 501st approved. Model available from shoretrooper.co.uk.

Here are all the parts for the build:
58gkiTb.jpg

450 grams of failed prints, rafts and support material.
9JHjzIU.jpg

Some bits wouldn't fit on my printer so needed chopping up and gluing together.
jZXB4lL.jpg

LLRCkLG.jpg

To get them together I used super glue for the initial bond and then strengthened them up on the inside with epoxy and old bits of support material.
Q3f6W5V.jpg

Dome put together and sprayed, along with some other bits assembled:
dlrCbVn.jpg

Some bits getting their first layer of primer
DpWHoSb.jpg

And a mock assembly of all the primed bits. It's only very loosely fitted at the moment, I still want to be able to spray the parts individually. And yes it took a good few minutes to the the blast shield to balance.
f0QQin2.jpg

EFfpHUZ.jpg

If anyone wants the chopped files I've uploaded them here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2633285

It goes together nicely so I'm on to painting and I'm really after any tips. I know the base colour should be Montana's gold sahara beige and the black is just a flat black. Does anyone know what the shade of red the insignia is or what paint was used?

I've only ever done none weathered helmets and the shore trooper has lots of weathering so I'm quite nervous about this build. The original helmet seems to have a texture to it but have no idea how to create that effect. It looks great so far I just don't want to mess it up.

TLDR
Some guy on the internet made a 3d shore trooper helmet, got one layer of primer done and makes an account on therpf looking for painting tips.

Untitled-1.jpg
Here's my take on the same 3D print but cast in resin & fibreglass.
I got my tips from a thread over on the whitearmor.net that is VERY comprehensive, plus I used some other techniques for weathering including coffee and tea haha.

The decal was designed by me and printed onto a transfer by a friend with a printer for those sorts of things

_A140154small.jpg

Just weathering should be fine. I've had a jimmi fiberglass helmet and an Anovos shoretrooper and neither had any texture you need to worry about.

For the red spot I used another Montana red color.

Your helmet looks great! The Montana paint can be a bit tricky to work with, so be careful with it. I posted a thread a while back that detailed my experience with a fiberglass shoretrooper helmet. https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=277644&highlight=Rogue+shoretrooper

Most of what I learned came from Mr. Paul's thread on the FISD. He did a ton of research, and basically explains everything you'll need to make his helmet look great.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/top...met-painting-tutorial-by-paul-prentice/page-6

Welcome to The RPF, and good luck on your build!

Here's my take on the same 3D print but cast in resin & fibreglass.
I got my tips from a thread over on the whitearmor.net that is VERY comprehensive, plus I used some other techniques for weathering including coffee and tea haha.

The decal was designed by me and printed onto a transfer by a friend with a printer for those sorts of things

Wow your completed helmet looks great. Any chance you could link to the thread on white armour?

Just weathering should be fine. I've had a jimmi fiberglass helmet and an Anovos shoretrooper and neither had any texture you need to worry about.

For the red spot I used another Montana red color.

As it's only a small bit of the helmet I might just grab the closest match I can find. Those montana sprays are expensive.

Welcome, beerman! Your helmet looks great.

Thanks, it's no where near completed though. I've only got the parts together, filled and sanded the joins and got a layer of primer down.

As a bonus here's 3 of my completed helmets.

4az7RjZ.jpg

Wow your completed helmet looks great. Any chance you could link to the thread on white armour? ]

Thanks! I'm very pleased with the outcome, even had approval from Glyn Dillon via twitter.
About the paint tutorial link :- Ackbar16 has posted it above /\ :D

The paint is actually not very expensive at all - halfords brand paint is around £6 odd.

I got the proper Montana from here:

https://www.fatbuddhastore.com//montana-gold-sahara-beige-spray-paint-400ml-p4544/s15262

for about £5 and it is worth it. It's a really powdery paint and quite off putting at first but once you get going it's great and gives that really nice, almost textured finish that you see on the screen used lids.

_A140148small.jpg

P.

Thanks! I'm very pleased with the outcome, even had approval from Glyn Dillon via twitter.
About the paint tutorial link :- Ackbar16 has posted it above /\ :D

The paint is actually not very expensive at all - halfords brand paint is around £6 odd.

I got the proper Montana from here:

https://www.fatbuddhastore.com//montana-gold-sahara-beige-spray-paint-400ml-p4544/s15262

for about £5 and it is worth it. It's a really powdery paint and quite off putting at first but once you get going it's great and gives that really nice, almost textured finish that you see on the screen used lids.

View attachment 773607

P.

I'm fully prepared and have already visited the fat bhudda :D
Mh8hMHW.jpg

I have a flat black for the black bits and need to go and get a red so will probably just try

I must have missed ackbar's post whilst I was posting. Thanks guys. I'm going to do some reading before I start the spraying.

Last edited:
The helmet looks great.

How does a 3d printed helmet feel after gluing it all together? Does it feel like it is fragile or cheap?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Getting the look is basically gently sanding through the top layer of paint to expose the black underneath on edges, then maybe an grimey/brown thin acrylic wash into the internal nooks which gets wiped of if it gets too heavy :)

The helmet looks great.

How does a 3d printed helmet feel after gluing it all together? Does it feel like it is fragile or cheap?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

No, they feel solid. I use epoxy on all the joins. I wouldn't want to drop it though, there isn't much flex in them. I only have mine on display so strength isn't really an issue but I can just as easily wear them.

Totally forgot about this thread. So I managed to paint it and weather it. I pretty much followed the white armour thread for painting. It had a coat of rustoleum cast iron, then a coat of the hammered brown and then I went straight to the sahara beige. For weathering I used black and burnt umber.

It went from this:
W6N878W.jpg

To this, using a pair of scissors and a spoon to scratch it:
0WmvXsy.jpg

F0FRPjN.jpg

eR2EIrZ.jpg

wt0A65w.jpg

To this:
XrlpaeG.jpg

1Hp4Cpk.jpg

M8aG3by.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back