DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

That’s it! That didnt take to long. [emoji482]

And as scott mentioned it’s most definitely the HOTH blaster. You can clearly make out the flash hider as well. Nice work fellas [emoji106]

Last edited:
Do you think it's possible that the disc came from the back of the knob? Also, any ideas on which radio?

I'm into old amps, radios and the like and knobs don't have bases like what we see left on the Hoth blaster. The potentiometer that the knob mounts to does not attach like that. It makes more sense that the knob was just glued to the scope bracket to cover the screws. The prop department did a bunch of glueing of random stuff to make things look more fancy and space age. That also explains what we think of as the glue residue on the brass disc.

So do you have any guesses on what I'm assuming is a knob from which radio model?

I'm into old amps, radios and the like and knobs don't have bases like what we see left on the Hoth blaster. The potentiometer that the knob mounts to does not attach like that. It makes more sense that the knob was just glued to the scope bracket to cover the screws. The prop department did a bunch of glueing of random stuff to make things look more fancy and space age. That also explains what we think of as the glue residue on the brass disc.

I cannot really see the whole shape of the knob. I assumed the knob's base is just the right size to fit into the inset and left the yellow glue residue.

But what are we seeing?

It is a knob with a stem/pedestal something like this:

Flat-Wood-Knob-LG-SM.jpg

Or is it cylindrical and something like this:

04NERHKNBX_01__13309_std.jpg

These are just rough examples in order to convey my thoughts/questions.

As the previous Mara Jade's Father says "But what are we seeing?"
It is hard to even tell what the shape of it is.
I do know that Telefunken was a very popular European Radio company but we still don't know for sure if it is even a radio knob. Who would have thought that that the greeblies on the ANH blaster would have come from an airplane model or V8 engine model!
So do you have any guesses on what I'm assuming is a knob from which radio model?

This is what I see..
75eb67de4d29d23e425cb94e0f3ca4c2.jpg
2c5629737ca02ce1d98240701736dfa5.jpg

It’s obviously not 100% clear by any means but it’s there. Just not sure if it looks like this..
bf72477713569bff51676e1368de693f.jpg

Or this..
3d24fbbb478b11e94b47e92a7eaf2750.jpg

I’ve also made it so it slides right on and covers the disk completely..
13ef10960e86dc99fbfa4a204340870e.jpg

Here is some more pics I’ve gathered..
84893603f18b05c2de0c37547610d43a.jpg
beb27d095942ec7ca62825e9aa803212.jpg

And yes for all u metal gods FM will be making similar ones as well. Golden age of Star Wars we are living in [emoji106]

Last edited:
Funny enough...I prefer the version of the "Hoth DL-44" in its current state in which this large doofus knob greeblie has fallen off.

Weird, I know.

Funny enough...I prefer the version of the "Hoth DL-44" in its current state in which this large doofus knob greeblie has fallen off.

Weird, I know.

Not weird. I agree! The knob looks clumsy. The Thorens disc exposed looks more elegant and interesting. It even looks more thought out as an attachment for the scope mount.

I think the coolest ESB DL-44 would have been the Bespin flash hider with the Thorens disc scope mount and the notched light ring M-19 scope!

Wait, how did the exposed plate get the ring of black paint? There is only glue residue in the center of the disc.

Wait, how did the exposed plate get the ring of black paint? There is only glue residue in the center of the disc.

It looks to me like the knob fits inside the center circle of the disc, just inside the perimeter ring that contains the mounting screw heads. I can barely see what appears to be one of the screw heads butted up against the outside perimeter of the knob greeblie on the lower right hand side of the knob.

Forgive the crudeness of these approximations to illustrate what I am describing as the approximate diameter of the greeblie knob sitting inside the mounting screw ring on the disc (below):

IMG_0755.JPG

I imagine with only glue holding the knob greeblie onto the disc, that the knob survived only a few pulls out of out of a holster before the glue (like the glue on the lightsaber t-track) failed and the greeblie knob flew off into the snow.

The original knob greeblie is probably still buried in the snow in Norway :)

Attachments

• IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
It looks to me like the knob fits inside the center circle of the disc, just inside the perimeter ring that contains the mounting screw heads. I can barely see what appears to be one of the screw heads butted up against the outside perimeter of the knob greeblie on the lower right hand side of the knob.

Forgive the crudeness of this approximation to illustrate what I am describing as the approximate first diameter of the greeblie knob sitting inside the mounting screw ring on the disc (below):

View attachment 799124

I imagine with only glue holding the knob greeblie onto the disc, that the knob survived only a few pulls out of out of a holster before the glue (like the glue on the lightsaber t-track) failed and the greeblie knob flew off into the snow.

The original knob greeblie is probably still buried in the snow in Norway :)

ding ding ding.... this is what I see as well. Maybe not quite as small, but it DOES look like those screw heads are poking out there on the circumference of the doofus knob.

I also don't see that mega chamfer.

I dub thee greeblie henceforth shall be called "doofus knob" ^_^ thy creator of thine name is Alley...

Here you get a better idea of just how big it actually is. Certainly it can’t be smaller than the mystery disk itself. The circumference looks to be close to the same size as the front of the m19 scope .. ??
ef480856dbae50e191501697bed5342d.jpg
6a76afb90fa7135f6a0cb2a1f05591aa.jpg
71db4913cc710b599278b5ad792b1343.jpg
58ff413fdf0b60a8da6242e002494b6e.jpg
47fef9cfe50e01532f695db70d409158.jpg

Last edited:

I do not believe that the clarity of the image makes your outline the only possibility. I still think that it might be a knob with a narrow base such as an option I posted prior.

i think the the large head of the knob accounts for the large size we see from angles but a narrower base would allow it to sit in the center within the screws.

i also think that it explains why there is paint on the outer rim of the three-screw plate and not inside. I think everything was assembled first then painted. When the knob fell off, it left glue residue with no paint underneath.

at least that is my take.

Last edited:
Makes sense, they would have glued it indoors where it's warm and then taken it outside in the cold and the temperature difference would cause the different materials to shrink at different rates.

I do not believe that the clarity of the image makes your outline the only possibility. I still think that it might be a knob with a narrow base such as an option I posted prior.

i think the the large head of the knob accounts for the large size we see from angles but a narrower base would allow it to sit in the center within the screws.

i also think that it explains why there is paint on the outer rim of the three-screw plate and not inside. I think everything was assembled first then painted. When the knob fell off, it left glue residue with no paint underneath.

at least that is my take.

Your model is looking just like a COMPAC windage knob cover

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back