Scratchbuilt 1/2222 Star Destroyer Avenger

do you ever use bits form model kits which look right or very nearly right? i know you find images of bits they originally used and scale them down. i am afraid i did a double dose of scratchy, i re read this thread and then spent the best part of an hour looking at your projects on facebook.

do you ever use bits form model kits which look right or very nearly right? i know you find images of bits they originally used and scale them down. i am afraid i did a double dose of scratchy, i re read this thread and then spent the best part of an hour looking at your projects on facebook.

When I first started, I used some 1/700 battleship parts for the equatorial trench along the main hull, but I found that those pieces are too large for the scale of the Star Destroyer. When I started on the tower and the super structure, I decided to make my own using reference images of the studio scale model and reference images of the donor kits. It's time consuming but in the end, worth it.

I knew at the start this wasn't going to be a fleeting weekend project.

also when casting your guns do you cast the barrel as well or add them after you had made the guns with brass rod or somethig like that?
sorry to bother you,
the clone

No studio in there right mind would hire me.

I've been working on this off and on since 2009 and it's still not finished.

Of course if it was your main job you did everyday, with a deadline, I'm sure you would get done much faster....but then theres the fact that it takes the fun away now being work, with a boss possibly down your throat.

Of course if it was your main job you did everyday, with a deadline, I'm sure you would get done much faster....but then theres the fact that it takes the fun away now being work, with a boss possibly down your throat.

Brother, I can attest to that one.

The master for the main gun is finished. I also included some of the surrounding details for the castings. I'll cast eight gun implacemnets, then I'll work on these two sections.

gun_zpsyiydda45.jpg

That sure is some precise work and amazing detail for something that small. I've been trying to do these in 1/4222. I know 1/2222 is bigger but not that much bigger. That's got be be around the size of a quarter (coin)?

That is stunning. Whenever I see something like this then look at my models I feel like a 6 year old playing with legos. You should be proud.

I finished casting the eight main guns. I'm very happy how they turned out. Now I'll drill them out and add the barrels.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=fce4dbb910832e23c0393ec87b762372&oe=5737EC7F

Ok, so now I've got to ask... How are you casting them? What did you use for the mold material, and what did you use for the casting material? Did you create multiple molds from your original, or did you simply cast multiple times?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

MM

Ok, so now I've got to ask... How are you casting them?

I use Smooth-On, Facebook link below.
https://www.facebook.com/SmoothOn/?fref=ts

What did you use for the mold material

I used Mold Max 30.

....and what did you use for the casting material?

A two part Smooth-On liquid plastic,... the product name escapes me.

Did you create multiple molds from your original, or did you simply cast multiple times?

Just a two part mold, used eight times for the casting.

Drilled out the holes and I inserted the barrels for this one. There just placed at the moment. Once I align them, I'll then glue them in place.

12524305_897659450355680_5338235642693040362_n.jpg

Those guns turned out great. I see each one is a bit smaller than a coin. How big were the ones ILM made for their SD if you know? I'm sure at least a bit bigger.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back