Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

The love that the fans have for ESB is rather new. It really developed after the release of ROTJ and TPM. Just look up some reviews for the film back in 1980. It divided the fans back then.

June 15, 1980, Vincent Canby wrote this in The New York Times:
The Empire Strikes Back is not a truly terrible movie. It’s a nice movie. It’s not, by any means, as nice as Star Wars. It’s not as fresh and funny and surprising and witty, but it is nice and inoffensive and, in a way that no one associated with it need be ashamed of, it’s also silly. Attending to it is a lot like reading the middle of a comic book. It is amusing in fitful patches but you’re likely to find more beauty, suspense, discipline, craft and art when watching a New York harbor pilot bring the Queen Elizabeth 2 into her Hudson River berth, which is what The Empire Strikes Back most reminds me of. It’s a big, expensive, time-consuming, essentially mechanical operation. The Empire Strikes Back is about as personal as a Christmas card from a bank.”

I really like this one. I pretty sure I've seen fans have said almost the exact same thing about TLJ

Richard Hess:
"George Lucas has made a movie even more racist and sexist than the first. I would think that Billy Dee Williams would resent being the token black in the film. Also, there was only one other woman, apart from Carrie Fisher, in the movie."

That first Empire review you posted had the operative word right in it which is a complete opposite of the reaction to TLJ... “inoffensive”. That critic thought ESB was an “inoffensive” little flick that wasn’t as good as the original. Hardly a review to demonstrate a divided fan base lol

Many fans found TLJ OFFENSIVE, and vehemently dislike the movie. I’ve yet to see evidence that ESB was as hated by portions of the fan base as TLJ was.

Also, ESB only had one movie to compare to, it could do nothing BUT expand on the characters and universe created by ANH. TLJ had 7 saga movies before it for comparison and a well-established set of rules and characters that it decided to re-write on a whim. Easier to draw a new picture than color within the lines I guess for a director aiming for just the reaction he got.

]I really like this one. I pretty sure I've seen fans have said almost the exact same thing about TLJ

Please share, because the only similarity between that review and the reaction to TLJ is that that is what the defenders of the movie call anyone who dare say the emperor has no clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

That first Empire review you posted had the operative word right in it which is a complete opposite of the reaction to TLJ... “inoffensive”. That critic thought ESB was an “inoffensive” little flick that wasn’t as good as the original. Hardly a review to demonstrate a divided fan base lol

Many fans found TLJ OFFENSIVE, and vehemently dislike the movie. I’ve yet to see evidence that ESB was as hated by portions of the fan base as TLJ was.

Also, ESB only had one movie to compare to, it could do nothing BUT expand on the characters and universe created by ANH. TLJ had 7 saga movies before it for comparison and a well-established set of rules and characters that it decided to re-write on a whim. Easier to draw a new picture than color within the lines I guess for a director aiming for just the reaction he got.

Please share, because the only similarity between that review and the reaction to TLJ is that that is what the defenders of the movie call anyone who dare say the emperor has no clothes.

Just look up reviews from 1980, plus I've heard people on YouTube saying how their parents hated the film when it came out. If I recall this one guy said his dad and mom told him that almost their entire town hated the film.

I've heard people apply all sorts of titles to TLJ. All in YouTube comments.

"well-established set of rules and characters that it decided to re-write on a whim" huh? It didn't re-write anything.

My cousin's kids. They grew up with the Clone Wars tv show. To them, thats Star Wars. They've seen the OT and even the PT. They don't hate them perse, but they don't care about any of them. All the stuff thats come out since 2012 hasn't really interested them either, but ask them about Clone Wars and they light up. One will even recite dialog from his favorite episodes.

“Some say the golden age [of science fiction] was circa 1928; some say 1939; some favor 1953, or 1979, or 1984. The arguments rage till the small of the morning, and nothing is ever resolved.

Because the real golden age of science fiction is twelve.”

— Peter Graham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take this with a big grain of salt, I mean big. But I've heard rumors that they can't just up and fire her because no one wants the responsibility. No one wants to get volunteer themselves to get crucified.

So on one hand your saying take my words with a big grain of salt and question in another post why there is speculation about Kennedy at all then use a rumor that they want to fire her but cant find anyone to take the job on because they will be crucified. Hmmm.

You actually left out the part about finding it hard to replace her because of the toxic environment that she has set up at Lucasfilm. That was the reason given in that initial report about her potential replacement. We must have seen two different rumors.

Reactions: JPH

Just look up reviews from 1980, plus I've heard people on YouTube saying how their parents hated the film when it came out. If I recall this one guy said his dad and mom told him that almost their entire town hated the film.

I've heard people apply all sorts of titles to TLJ. All in YouTube comments.

"well-established set of rules and characters that it decided to re-write on a whim" huh? It didn't re-write anything.

You can do all the “well I heard some guy say his parents’ next door neighbor say..” all you want about a movie from almost 40 years ago but it still, despite all your efforts, doesn’t convince anyone that they all of a sudden should love TLJ to pieces or that the fanbase is any less divided than it is. .

Why does it bother you so much that people didn’t like this stink bug? Why is it so important to defend it that TLJ fans post excuse after excuse of why it’s great and people that don’t like it are just wrong and or confused? I’m just curious because it’s really interesting to sit back and watch these debates pan out

I mean in some sort of official capacity or title. I know he was named one when the sale happened, but that rather publicly wasn't the case for long.

Assuming that George would even want to be involved with this mess now. He made it pretty clear in the Charlie Rose interview that he was divorcing himself from the situation. Maybe he would come back if they could do something that would really stroke his ego. The dude doesn't need the money. But at this point, I'm not sure that the Return of Lucas would really help anything or not. I could see it being a blessing and a curse.

So on one hand your saying take my words with a big grain of salt and question in another post why there is speculation about Kennedy at all then use a rumor that they want to fire her but cant find anyone to take the job on because they will be crucified. Hmmm.

You actually left out the part about finding it hard to replace her because of the toxic environment that she has set up at Lucasfilm. That was the reason given in that initial report about her potential replacement. We must have seen two different rumors.

I just want people to know that it's rumor and nothing more. I mean the internet loves rumors, it ups your web traffic. I'm throwing out what I read elsewhere, I don't even know if there's much truth in it.

You can do all the “well I heard some guy say his parents’ next door neighbor say..” all you want about a movie from almost 40 years ago but it still, despite all your efforts, doesn’t convince anyone that they all of a sudden should love TLJ to pieces or that the fanbase is any less divided than it is. .

Why does it bother you so much that people didn’t like this stink bug? Why is it so important to defend it that TLJ fans post excuse after excuse of why it’s great and people that don’t like it are just wrong and or confused? I’m just curious because it’s really interesting to sit back and watch these debates pan out

I'm upset the fandom is so split. I mean it's been split before. But then it was "I don't like this movie, but moving on". Now it's, "I hate this movie, you should hate this movie, you're a ******* idiot if you like it!" The hate, the vitriol, coming from TLJ haters, is so gross I'm sad to be called a Star Wars fan. And as I've said before elsewhere. The Last Jedi, was not the best Star Wars, nor was it the worst. But truly most of the complaints that haters have can be easily explained away if you just stop and think about it.

Joek3rr Well your on shaky ground when dismissing some rumors and then posting a selectively edited other rumor to make a shallow point. And please remember to keep on topic as instructed by the mods. Not one person on this forum has attacked another person here for liking TLJ or called them a ******* idiot for doing so.

As someone who is the second largest shareholder of the Mouse it is “official”

Now with that being said whether the “Slaveholders” will wear him down or not remains to be seen.

He has a new wife and family now and is supposedly getting away from the biz.

Only time will tell if he completely lets go of his creation.

I for one thinks he will not

I mean in some sort of official capacity or title. I know he was named one when the sale happened, but that rather publicly wasn't the case for long.

I'm upset the fandom is so split. I mean it's been split before. But then it was "I don't like this movie, but moving on". Now it's, "I hate this movie, you should hate this movie, you're a ******* idiot if you like it!" The hate, the vitriol, coming from TLJ haters, is so gross I'm sad to be called a Star Wars fan. And as I've said before elsewhere. The Last Jedi, was not the best Star Wars, nor was it the worst. But truly most of the complaints that haters have can be easily explained away if you just stop and think about it.

Actually it’s been more like “anyone who doesn’t like this movie is because their fanboy theories didn’t pan out/they’re a sexist/racist/virgin living in mom’s basement”, etc. As to you claiming most of the complaints can be explained away, lol well by attacking the critic with the above labels is exactly how defenders explain them away. Trying to discount the critic to invalidate their argument doesn’t sound like a very sound strategy for real discussion. But who knows, it’s done ad nauseum in other facets of life too.

As you’ve stated yourself, the fanbase IS split, and is getting more toxic by the day, on both sides. Who do you suppose is to blame? The fans of this franchise or the person(s) that made the decisions which led to it? I for one who has been a fan of Star Wars all my life am so tired of being called names because I didn’t like TLJ that I couldn’t really care less about what rabbit JJ pulls out of his hat for ep. IX, and I’m not the only one. THAT is the reason that rumors like this thread topic persist. Even the Mouse knows they can’t afford to tank a property they plan to milk for the next 20 years. They’ve started killing the goose that laid the golden egg and KK’s decision-making is the reason why.

@Joek3rr Well your on shaky ground when dismissing some rumors and then posting a selectively edited other rumor to make a shallow point. And please remember to keep on topic as instructed by the mods. Not one person on this forum has attacked another person here for liking TLJ or called them a ******* idiot for doing so.

No, not here, but YouTube is a killing ground, I've been cursed at numerous times there. I'm very thankful that the RPF is civil.

Not trying to dismiss some rumors and support others. All rumors about whats going on at Lucasfilm right now and really anything in the entertainment industry should be handled very very carefully. Rumors plus opinions can be explosive, and dangerous.

No, not here, but YouTube is a killing ground, I've been cursed at numerous times there. I'm very thankful that the RPF is civil.

Not trying to dismiss some rumors and support others. All rumors about whats going on at Lucasfilm right now and really anything in the entertainment industry should be handled very very carefully. Rumors plus opinions can be explosive, and dangerous.

I actually watch a lot of the channels that talk about these issues on You Tube and have never heard anyone who likes TLJ described in the way you describe. Please provide some examples, links or channel names that do.

Actually it’s been more like “anyone who doesn’t like this movie is because their fanboy theories didn’t pan out/they’re a sexist/racist/virgin living in mom’s basement”, etc. As to you claiming most of the complaints can be explained away, lol well by attacking the critic with the above labels is exactly how defenders explain them away. Trying to discount the critic to invalidate their argument doesn’t sound like a very sound strategy for real discussion. But who knows, it’s done ad nauseum in other facets of life too.

As you’ve stated yourself, the fanbase IS split, and is getting more toxic by the day, on both sides. Who do you suppose is to blame? The fans of this franchise or the person(s) that made the decisions which led to it? I for one who has been a fan of Star Wars all my life am so tired of being called names because I didn’t like TLJ that I couldn’t really care less about what rabbit JJ pulls out of his hat for ep. IX, and I’m not the only one. THAT is the reason that rumors like this thread topic persist. Even the Mouse knows they can’t afford to tank a property they plan to milk for the next 20 years. They’ve started killing the goose that laid the golden egg and KK’s decision-making is the reason why.

I don't attack with labels, or I hope I don't.

I really don't see how Kathleen has really messed up. At least not with TLJ. I think her biggest blunders have been the extra money it cost Disney for Rogue One and Solo.

I don't attack with labels, or I hope I don't.

I really don't see how Kathleen has really messed up. At least not with TLJ. I think her biggest blunders have been the extra money it cost Disney for Rogue One and Solo.

When you okay something like this. This is how you really mess up. Kathleen messed the bed with TLJ plot being okay'd on.

https://medium.com/@josvchoi/the-la...-assassination-of-luke-skywalker-38fe0190d01a

Last edited:

I actually watch a lot of the channels that talk about these issues on You Tube and have never heard anyone who likes TLJ described in the way you describe. Please provide some examples, links or channel names that do.

Do you scroll down to the comment section? It's quite often a firefight. If I go posting on vids I get hammered. This is the most recent, and milder ones.

"Joe Kerr shut the h*** up this tlj "Luke" or should be called Jake was trash"

and this one

"+Joe Kerr for c****** sake! you're still spreading that debunked bull**** around?"

apparently, I'm getting notorious on YouTube:lol

Do you scroll down to the comment section? It's quite often a firefight. If I go posting on vids I get hammered. This is the most recent, and milder ones.

"Joe Kerr shut the h*** up this tlj "Luke" or should be called Jake was trash"

and this one

"+Joe Kerr for c****** sake! you're still spreading that debunked bull**** around?"

apparently, I'm getting notorious on YouTube:lol

Never. I dont watch videos for the comments section, I dont consider them relevant in any way shape or form. I would see it as pointless even commenting in them. Only what publishers say in their videos is important. And as I mainly watch You Tube through my television, I cant see them anyway. Perhaps you should take actual screenshots of these comments for some gravitas as well. Actually, I dont need to see any.

“Some say the golden age [of science fiction] was circa 1928; some say 1939; some favor 1953, or 1979, or 1984. The arguments rage till the small of the morning, and nothing is ever resolved.

Because the real golden age of science fiction is twelve.”

— Peter Graham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tumblr_mhjac0Pasw1rur665o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back