Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Serious question: What's Rey's arc in this trilogy? I tried contrasting it with Luke's, and I see... nothing. There's no reason for her decisions. Luke's motivated by the murder of his aunt & uncle, and then to save his friends. Rey's motivated by ? to help the Resistance, and then ? to leave Ach-To.

Compare Luke's journey to Rey's so far:

Luke chooses to learn the ways of the Force, because of his family's murder. In ESB, he decides to abandon his training with Yoda, to save his friends even if it means his death.

Rey discovers she can use the Force, because she was captured by Kylo Ren, because she was running around a forest during a battle. In TLJ, she doesn't abandon her training with Luke, because there was no training.

We see Luke progress from barely lifting a rock with the Force, to stacking rocks and having visions of the future. Luke gains self-awareness after his vision in the cave.

Rey learns nothing on Ach-To; in fact, she steals the Jedi texts so she'll end up an even greater Jedi than Luke, with no help from anyone. She gains no self-awareness from the vision in the cave.

Luke decides to confront Vader, believing he's ready to defeat him.

Rey decides to confront Kylo Ren, believing she can turn him.

Luke loses a hand when he fights Vader. He learns he's severely out classed. And he learns his father was not the man he thought he was.

Rey loses nothing in the confrontation with Snoke/Ren, except maybe her hope in Kylo. She learns she's not out classed by Snoke's elite bodyguard, in fact she severely out classes them. She learns her parents were nobodies, but doesn't seem that upset by it.

Luke nearly dies at the hands of Vader, after falling down that shaft. He doesn't save his friends. Han is frozen, and Leia was rescued by Lando. His friends actually save him.

Rey leaves the fight with the guards without a scratch. She saves all her friends by using her amazing Force powers to lift a rock slide out of their way. Nobody's frozen.

Luke is an active character. He has believable motivations. He had to learn to use the Force, he had to put in a lot of effort and chose to pursue it instead of staying with the Rebellion. We see he still has a lot to learn by the end of ESB. We have no idea how he'll defeat Darth Vader.

Rey is being pulled along by the plot. She does not have believable motivations. She's known the Resistance for less than a week, they're hardly friends. She never made the decision to become a Jedi, it was made for her. She never made a choice between learning the Force or helping the Resistance. She didn't need to learn anything about the Force, that knowledge was gifted to her. With the stolen Jedi texts, she'll be as good as any Jedi Master before her, without training from anyone. She does it all on her own, almost by accident. She has nothing left to learn. We already know she'll easily defeat Kylo Ren, and probably the Knights of Ren too.

anyone see the Star Wars show? Andy claiming snoke to be “ a couple “ hundred years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why, I wonder, there are tracking dots on Phasma's helmet in the closeups? What gratuitous CG things are they doing to a chrome helmet?

I couldn't help but notice the 50-something TIE fighters in the background when Finn blows Phasma off the platform. Eh, it's not like they could have helped out against the Raddus anyway. The Supremacy couldn't cover them at that distance. :facepalm

I know I have harped on this before, but Rian shouldn't have made the Supremacy the size he made it if all it was going to launch was 3 fighters. Have a close-in, bareknuckled fight with smaller cruisers in range of eachother. Have the Raddus disabled and boarded. Don't put a ship with a crew of 2.25 million people there with a complement of 8 Star Destroyers and then claim there's nothing they can possibly do to remedy the problem of a Mon Cal cruiser outrunning them at sublight speeds. Star Wars begins with a Star Destroyer chasing and overtaking a blockade runner at high speed. Not to mention chasing the Falcon(!) in Empire and in the Solo trailer. It's overkill to add up the amount of TIE's at their disposal... each of the 8 Star Destroyer's had around 12 squadrons, so we are well over 1000 fighters ready to roll not counting any coming from the Supremacy. And you know it had to have 100 squadrons considering it had internal hangars for two SD's. These are the kinds of issues the Story Group should have covered with Rian before they greenlit this story. You can't sell fans books of cutaways describing how incredibly powerful the Supremacy is and then not have an answer for why it didn't lift a finger to solve the situation at hand.

I couldn't help but notice the 50-something TIE fighters in the background when Finn blows Phasma off the platform. Eh, it's not like they could have helped out against the Raddus anyway. The Supremacy couldn't cover them at that distance. :facepalm

I know I have harped on this before, but Rian shouldn't have made the Supremacy the size he made it if all it was going to launch was 3 fighters. Have a close-in, bareknuckled fight with smaller cruisers in range of eachother. Have the Raddus disabled and boarded. Don't put a ship with a crew of 2.25 million people there with a complement of 8 Star Destroyers and then claim there's nothing they can possibly do to remedy the problem of a Mon Cal cruiser outrunning them at sublight speeds. Star Wars begins with a Star Destroyer chasing and overtaking a blockade runner at high speed. Not to mention chasing the Falcon(!) in Empire and in the Solo trailer. It's overkill to add up the amount of TIE's at their disposal... each of the 8 Star Destroyer's had around 12 squadrons, so we are well over 1000 fighters ready to roll not counting any coming from the Supremacy. And you know it had to have 100 squadrons considering it had internal hangars for two SD's. These are the kinds of issues the Story Group should have covered with Rian before they greenlit this story. You can't sell fans books of cutaways describing how incredibly powerful the Supremacy is and then not have an answer for why it didn't lift a finger to solve the situation at hand.

Because - Rian Johnson - Emperor's new clothes.

NN.gif
:lol Jaitea, don't worry. Someone is just a bit too sensitive tonight:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Why continue to be a huge a$& to people who might want to read the book?

I continue the same way the same way you continue, but I don't call you anything for doing it

I find it totally unbelievable that there are folks that actually think that this film has any credibility,...it really astounds me

I know no one,.....not a single person, who I've talked to or am friends on social media,....(all craft & model makers) who enjoyed this film

The next test will be the home video sales.....This will reflect how fans feel about adding the film to their collection

J

In a community of individuals that must have every single variation of the Graflex lightsaber? I think some will buy it simply for the sake of completeness, if they have everything else. Some will because, God forbid, they didn't hate it. Some, even if they didn't like it or want it, will get it as a gift from some well meaning relative ("You do like Star Wars, right?").

Maybe the video release won't be the biggest of all time, but it'll do okay. Probably better than "Stranger Things". Trying to sell physical copies to an audience who can stream the product any time they want? Maybe that's why, even when Target put it on sale for $10, they still had plenty left (and still do).

I continue the same way the same way you continue, but I don't call you anything for doing it

I find it totally unbelievable that there are folks that actually think that this film has any credibility,...it really astounds me

I know no one,.....not a single person, who I've talked to or am friends on social media,....(all craft & model makers) who enjoyed this film

The next test will be the home video sales.....This will reflect how fans feel about adding the film to their collection

J

Totally agree. Without being a complete arse, I find it quite hard to respect someone's intelligence if they found TLJ a successful / successful Star Wars film. I am amazed that SW fans actually bought in to it. There's been some bad SW films in the past but nothing on this scale.
I spoke to someone I know who is a massive SW fan and also Head of a screen writing course at a U.K. University to check in on his professionally opinion. Yes, he thought it was appalling writing - he said it was dull, pointless and no-one changed or developed in any way. Just don't buy the home release peoples.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back