3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

Re: 3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build

Finish work is impeccable!! Is the right thigh suppose to be taller than the left? In the D03D files it is.

Thanks everyone. It's not as smooth as it looks in the pics. It still needs a lot of body work before paint. I'm hoping to have it done before the end of October.

The original file for the right thigh is a tad larger then the left thigh. I pretty much cut out and rebuilt/resculpted the lower portion of both sides because I didn't like the large lip on the original files. In doing this I trimmed down the right thigh quite a bit to make it more in scale with the left thigh.

Very nice for sure...and, as you can see, a second under suit is needed to affix all of the parts of the costume in place. I`m sure that when walking that suit is going all over the place so: pieces of foam (or memory foam: better fit) could be applied to the under suit to make it nice and tight. Gloves/hands are tricky for sure and the range of motion of the arms makes it difficult to keep the rim attached to your forearm. Eager to see the next fitting:cool

This is the fully finished 3D printed helmet. I tried to go more Robocop 1 on the paint scheme. I liked the darker gritty lighting of the suit in that film and tried to get what I liked. This is pretty much how the whole suit is going to be painted.

37665793382_94e7753f35_c.jpg

37665812092_fbd2b678b4_c.jpg

37665832092_95478daf7e_c.jpg

37440374980_5bcf5d5f10_c.jpg

All comments welcome. Next to be painted will be the arms and chest.

Looks fantastic. Bet lots of sanding went into that helmet. What are you coating it with, or just sanding/primer-filler?

Looking pretty awesome so far!!!

Thanks I really appreciate that. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your build.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks fantastic. Bet lots of sanding went into that helmet. What are you coating it with, or just sanding/primer-filler?

Thanks. Yes lots of sanding are going into the various parts which takes a lot of patience on my end. I'm coating with Duplicolor filler primer, also using Bondo spot glazing putty and Magic sculpt putty for the really rough parts. Multiple coats of that and you get what you see above.

wow nice work on the paint job. The whole suite will look fantastic. Did you use any metallic paint, or just regular grey/blue with glossy clear coat?

wow nice work on the paint job. The whole suite will look fantastic. Did you use any metallic paint, or just regular grey/blue with glossy clear coat?

I used Rustoleum hammered silver paint along with testors clear blue and clear purple. Then hit it with a duplicolor automotive clear coat. Thanks for the comment!

A fantastic costume - very iconic.

I'd like to make one of these, but I'm on the chunky side.

Your's looks great

{this wrapping film company VVivid has released a new film that looks pretty much as the robocop paint.
check this out called satin ice chrome.}

That stuff looks pretty sweet. Could maybe use it with a Terminator prop also.

How's it coming along @pchrisbosh1

Thank you for asking. The winter weather here hit me pretty hard which pretty much put a no no on doing body work and painting. I really didn't want to rush finishing the project to get sub par results so I decided to be patient and wait until better weather. I'm also moving in the next couple weeks which also put a halt on things. I do plan on finishing this ASAP when settled in the new home. I'm still ambitious about the project and will update when finished. Thanks again for everyone's encouragement and support.

Ah, you're in one of those places with weather extremes. Fair enough, Look forward to updates soon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back