Thick traces on PCBs

I personally believe the barge climbing saber is a resin copy of the ANH stunt sabers probably v3 since the resin clamp has the holes in it) and I think it was decorated like the V2 with gaffer tape on the neck and black on the emitter plate. It was cast when the v3 had its nipple too. I have yet to see a closer shot though

Tom am I correct that some of the V3’s are decorated like the V2 since the throne room stuff was shot prior to the sail barge? So it would make sense some of the stunts were already decorated for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom am I correct that some of the V3’s are decorated like the V2 since the throne room stuff was shot prior to the sail barge? So it would make sense some of the stunts were already decorated for that?

Not quite. As far as I know there was just the dueling v3 and the belt hanger V2 in that scene.

Not quite. As far as I know there was just the dueling v3 and the belt hanger V2 in that scene.

The V2 was never used to duel in ROTJ correct? It was just a belt hanger and for closeups? (Typical hero prop duties despite not being given the distinction as the hero prop?)

The V2 was never used to duel in ROTJ correct? It was just a belt hanger and for closeups? (Typical hero prop duties despite not being given the distinction as the hero prop?)

Yes! As far as I know at least.

The Barge climbing saber is a weird one. It's definitely a cast of the shared stunt... graflex clamp, holes in the clamp, dirty black, brown and gold paint job, etc. The neck is weirdly smooth and all I can think is they put tape on it because the emitter face resembles the V2's damaged paint job a bit: black on opposite sides of the nipple.

Okay you mother-scratchers...

How's this for a time line / summary...

1. First day of shooting in the UK, sandstorm scene. The Graflex is on hand and they realize that won't work, so somebody grabs one of the ANH shared stunts. At some point the holes were plugged, the emitter was taped in place, and a clamp card was added. Maybe right then and there, maybe back when they were used as rehearsal duelers for ESB, maybe some combination of that. This is turned over to be Luke's belt-hanger hero, and since we don't realize this until much later, we call it the V2.

2. Once that happens, they know they need stunt versions, so they go to the other shared stunt. They don't bother touching up the Obi-Wan style paint job. It has an ESB style clamp card at this stage, and resin copies are made. It gets a dueling rod and becomes the stunt for the Throne Room scenes. At some point it's clamp card is swapped for the wide-band version we see in images. Eventually, this gets the nickname of V3.

3. As things are prepped in California they know there will be extensive stunt work, and make use of the resin V3s. One of which is used for the second unit R2 fire-the-saber gag. They will need a short bladed stunt, so a metal version is made based on the resin dimensions. The upper neck is missing the groove, and the color scheme is similar to how the resin models are painted, which has evolved from the faux Obi-Wan paint scheme. This metal short-bladed stunt becomes known as the YUMA. At least one of the resin V3s is re-worked to better resemble the Yuma/V3 by having the nipple detail added.

4. The California leg of shooting starts. The V2 has come along as the belt-hanger because it is probably paired with Luke's costume with wardrobe. The V3 never makes it to California and is replaced by the Yuma for the sail barge scenes.

5. After photography wraps, they decide to do some insert shots to better sell that Luke has made his own lightsaber. The metal Yuma is cleaned up and repainted and the control box is given more detail. This saber is shot as an insert for the ISYHCANL scene. For the cave build, the box is modified to have the sliding card and blinking lights. This is how the prop remains after production is complete, and is now known as the HERO.

I like it a lot. I will add that I don't think the resin stunts were modified and given a nipple. The shared stunt had to have a nipple in order to have a blade. No idea when it fell out but it had to be after the molds were taken.

I think 1 and 5 are dead on. There are a few minor details in the middle that I’m still struggling with a little but probably for another time. Overall, I think it’s way more right than wrong and a damn good summary.

Also - is the wide band card on the V3 ever actually seen on-screen or is that just accepted because it’s what is in the present day prop photos?

I like it a lot. I will add that I don't think the resin stunts were modified and given a nipple. The shared stunt had to have a nipple in order to have a blade. No idea when it fell out but it had to be after the molds were taken.

I'm basing this on that super detailed V3 resin we saw recently-- flat top, no nipple, ESB style card. I am assuming that is the basic resin V3 copy for ROTJ. Could be that specific one was given the flat top to be shot out of R2 (stupidly) and as you say, the nippled on the V3 itself went gone after it was done being used as a duel stunt.

I think 1 and 5 are dead on. There are a few minor details in the middle that I’m still struggling with a little but probably for another time. Overall, I think it’s way more right than wrong and a damn good summary.

Ohhhh no. Spill it. I ain't publishing this damn guide if there's hold outs!

Also - is the wide band card on the V3 ever actually seen on-screen or is that just accepted because it’s what is in the present day prop photos?

Very good question. Again, looking at the detailed resin, I almost wonder if the card we accept as the norm on the V3 was added when it went on to be a museum piece.

View attachment props6.jpg

I'm basing this on that super detailed V3 resin we saw recently-- flat top, no nipple, ESB style card. I am assuming that is the basic resin V3 copy for ROTJ. Could be that specific one was given the flat top to be shot out of R2 (stupidly) and as you say, the nippled on the V3 itself went gone after it was done being used as a duel stunt.

Ohhhh no. Spill it. I ain't publishing this damn guide if there's hold outs!

Very good question. Again, looking at the detailed resin, I almost wonder if the card we accept as the norm on the V3 was added when it went on to be a museum piece.

View attachment 782490

Well, I tend to think it was added later - only because I’ve spent a long time looking over the ROTJ sabers today. In the shot of Luke standing over Vader, I *think* this is the V3, it looks more like a regular clamp card and maybe even inching closer to what the Hero card looks like. And although it could be elsewhere, that thing is so damn ugly I feel like it would be hard not to notice.
d357578c0a4a7db58935b85094f7ff02.jpg

As far as the other stuff - I’m hesitant to even bring it up cause it’s very likely I’m just wrong and mixed up., but I’m slightly suspicious there wasn’t a second V2 (I feel like I should run and hide after saying that) and I’m also wondering if there may have been another stunt saber in the throne room scene that is different from the V3 and maybe ended up at Yuma. But a lot of this may be explained by resin stunts? That’s where I’m getting a little fouled up.

I believe that is just tape over the circuit board

I also dont think we can rule out the wired resin stunt as not having a nipple. The nipple could have easily been used as a pour spout and cut off flat with the emitter.

This would explain the resin stunt on the side of the sail barge having a nipple and the wired resin stunt not

Just again my thinking of it, no proof this actually happened but makes me always say

“Just because we can’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not there..” referring to the nipple

I think that wired cast let loose the secret of what may have been in the Shared Stunt (or v3) clamp during production: a card like the ESB graflex.

That saber was incredibly re-decorated before it's public travels. You can see the brush strokes on the windvane covering up the vintage paint job. The black on the undersides of the emitter are part of the original paint too I think.

I think that wired cast let loose the secret of what may have been in the Shared Stunt (or v3) clamp during production: a card like the ESB graflex.

That saber was incredibly re-decorated before it's public travels. You can see the brush strokes on the windvane covering up the vintage paint job. The black on the undersides of the emitter are part of the original paint too I think.

So for the slow crowd (me) you think that picture Seth just posted of the detailed V3 is the same item in the screenshot I just posted? Or are you just saying the cards are likely the same but not necessarily the base hilt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wasn't the Wired resin stunt listed as the one fired out of R2? That would explain why it has no nipple; it was ground down to fit inside the gag R2 when its top closed.

Also, remembering what Tom has said about there being 7 of these things on set (by a former member on the site who was working on set for that, that day), I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't others that had the nipple ground down and others that still retained them (in the archives at Lucasfilm, I'm sure).

So for the slow crowd (me) you think that picture Seth just posted of the detailed V3 is the same item in the screenshot I just posted? Or are you just saying the cards are likely the same but not necessarily the base hilt?

I think he means that the V3 resin stunt gives a clue as to how the actual V3 looked at the time of its use in RotJ for filming (at least, at a certain point). The pic of Luke hovering over Vader with it before tossing it aside is, as you assume, the V3 but I'm not sure if it's the actual V3 or a resin stunt.

Personally, I think both the clamp and the card was added, for whatever reason, last minute on production of RotJ just prior to it being molded. For most of the V3's life as a dueling stunt, it seems like it had the clamp band missing. The current clamp band and the PCB card in it, that's seen in the resin stunt, makes me think they were sourced from whatever other stunt props they had. Not prior to RotJ did the prop carry that specific clamp band (or possibly a card). And it wasn't until well after production wrapped, that it was modified to more resemble the Hero, specifically with the replacement of the card and its repaint.

We know by the rehearsal photo, of Hamill and Prowse on the walkway, that the V3 had that specific clamp band by that time, but not the paint re-work, and possibly the PCB. And knowing that the nipple is a separate piece, I can only assume that it was removed for this part just for rehearsing (how the emitter hasn't fallen off, I don't know).

That screenshot is great— it looks like the wired resin. I like this synergy! So the V3 card we’ve come to know is a post-movie thing. slothfurnace is about to get some requests!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The screen shot u posted of Luke holding the saber is the v3. (The metal sister of the V2)

Seth posted the large detailed picture of the resin “r2 popper” saber. This saber most likely was cast off the v3, going by the holes in the clamp. The reason we question things is because the V2 and v3 had “nipples” that mechanically held the stunt blades on.

The V2 had its stunt blade removed and used as a hero. The v3 retained the blade (except for 1 shot we have with it off including the nipple with it) and the v3 was used as a stunt blade for empire

I believe Luke uses it to cut the end of the speeder off, right before that scene when Luke ignites the saber, he ignited the V2.. you can tell by the color on the windvane, then when he swipes the speeder, he’s holding the v3

Then we see the v3 through out the sword fighting in the throne room. When Luke walks along the cat walk, he’s holding the V2...

When Vader is stalking Luke under the stairs, look at Vader’s hands. He’s holding Luke’s V2... weird right (speculation is Vader taunts Luke to come out and Luke throws the V2 at him, and Vader picks it up)

U can see the v3 windvane color pretty good through out the sword fighting in the throne room. I’ve posted some good screen caps of the windvane it’s it weathered paint job. The emitter of the v3 at this time has a splitter paint job on the emitter like the V2

And the booster on the v3 looks almost bare at this time with very little black spots on it

In the picture u posted Luke is defiantly holding the v3, he turns it off. But I DONT think the saber he throws is the v3.... I think that is a resin stunt...

With all my babbling I forgot the origin of your question... damn am I getting old now I have to come back and see what the heck I’m doing

Edit: ok so we were talking about nipples again, one of my favorite subjects.. anyway

So the picture Seth posted I believe they used a casting off the v3, because of the holes in the clamp. With that being said, we have a resin copy of the v3 with a circuit card in it like the graflex! And the throne room scene you posted prettt much seals the deal that that clamp card is a circuit board as well!

Now if we saw the other side of the saber Seth posted we could 100% prove it to be the v3 because the grenade (rings) have a stepped edge in it on the v3.

If it’s a resin copy of the v3, this picture Seth posted should have the stepped edge on the other side

My speculation, they took a picture of this side because the other side IS stepped, and this side looks better lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back