Ridley Scott's The Terror on AMC

I forgot when it was on so I missed the third episode, although I taped a repeat on friday so I will wait until then to see what happened lol. But yeah Im really excited for this.

Wow, it is like they mined the cast of Game of Thrones.

We've got Edmure, Blackfish and Mance. With all the ice, I keep waiting for Jon Snow to make a cameo :lol

But yeah, so far it has been a great story

I'm really enjoying the atmosphere of this show. They have done such a good job in creating an uneasy environment with respect the monster and the arctic, that whenever the characters are away from the Terror and the Erebus I'm begging for them to go back inside since anything could happen to them at anytime.

For anyone curious about the ship's names:
The HMS Terror was a converted Bomb Vessel, which was used extensively against the US in the War of 1812. Its attacks inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner. Other vessels involved in that raid were named: Devastation, Aetna, Volcano, and Meteor. If I am thinking right, it employed a new form of weaponry that other vessels hadn't used prior: Rockets. Specifically, Congreve Rockets.

The Erebus was launched in 1826 after the former one laid down in 1807 (also a Bomb Vessel) was sold in 1819. It also was a bomb vessel, but at least Wikipedia cites no examples of it being used in warfare, although it was laid down as a warship, too.

I watched the first, and half of the second, episode tonight. Wife was almost falling asleep so we cut it off so she could finish it tomorrow.

I REALLY liked it. I haven’t seen the monster yet, but even barring that the atmosphere gives me the heebie jeebies, I very much agree with @MooCricket in that regards.

Like me when the one team made it to land in the second episode, I wasn’t entirely sure that being on that creepy, barren beach would actually be better than on the creepy, barren ice flow.

I can’t wait to finish up the second episode so I can jump right into the third one.

Five eps in and we removed future recordings from the DVR. Just not doing it for us at all.

Just got finished, absolutely loved it. I'd want to say outstanding performances from the principals, but absolutely everyone was great, not just them. I liked the pacing, would have been very easy to get this wrong and make it unwatchable when dealing with a narrative taking place over such a long period. I can't be certain if there was some fairly odd band filter on a lot of the audio on the version I watched, or if it was an intentional device depicting mindstate and environment. Sometimes it seemed that way, other times just like a fairly strange production foible.

My only gripe was the absolutely ridiculous inclusion of a Wilhelm Scream in ep10. But that sound effect kinda completely destroys anything you drop it into, and people well know that by now, so yeah there it is.

10/10 would never even consider joining the Royal Navy.

I finished it on Friday. I binged watched a few episodes a night… this is difficult for me with a young child and a pregnant wife…sacrificing much needed sleep…but I was too in to it! Great series.

When I was in my mid-teens, my father gave me a book call Endurance: Shackleton’s Incredible Voyage (Alfred Lansing) and I was completely engrossed. I started gobbling up Arctic voyage stories whenever I could.

When I heard about this series I was pumped!

I may be in the minority, but I actually could have done without the magical bear creature… The story could have stood-up on its own, IMO.

Cinematography, acting, wardrobe, were all excellent, but the thing that stood out for me was the sound design (is that a thing?). The wind/groaning ice/etc. really set a great isolating mood.

I thought the last episode was a bit rushed and confused (but maybe this was due to my lack of sleep).

Maybe ya’ll can help me clear up a few things…

How exactly did Francis kill the creature? I thought it basically just choked on the people/chain, but he later asked the Inuit if they were upset that he killed it.

Maybe I missed it/don’t remember, but did we ever hear about what happened to the crew left behind on the ship? I mean, I know no one survived, but I don’t remember if they ever addressed them again.

Towards the end of the episode, Francis comes across the last of his crew, all apparently dead, except for the last officer who dies in his arms. What’s up with his King Xerxes bedazzlement?

Anyhoo, solid 9/10 from me.

There are 10 episodes. If you pay a premium you can get all of them at once. As far as regular cable goes, episode 6 just aired last night.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back