New Luke ROTJ hero lightsaber model-Check out pics

No worries halliwax, nothing wrong with a healthy debate. You always bring something good to the table whether it be here or the other forums I see you in. Like you, I don't have a Starkiller hilt yet either. I'm on the V2 Fx run currently and will definitely be in on Dan's Hero run whenever it pops up. So soon enough I can finally say I have one in my collection. I too would love to see uneven rings and a smooth box Hero.

The static Heroes I own are the MR LE and Elite Edition which we know are not 100% screen accurate so if Dan decided to do a static solid hilt, I'd be all for it and it would be the best Hero in my collection. On the other hand, to answer the question as to why anyone would want an fx version just because it had uneven rings, that's also the answer because (to my knowledge) no one has done it at least not in any of the recent Hero runs in the last couple years. Khal made a great Cave scene Luke Hero but it doesn't have the uneven rings (pull up any photos of the KR Hero and you'll see the rings are even). VV/EA made a great ISYHCANL hilt, but the rings are idealized (even) because they are covered by Vader's glove although it does have a smooth box which I really like. I know it must seem like such a small detail but isn't that what we as collectors strive for in the pieces we purchase?

I think no matter if you want a static, solid hilt or a hollow one for electronics (which could also be static), especially when it comes to canon hilts, we are all looking for it to be the most accurate it could be to what we see on screen. Also like you, I love Luke's ROTJ hilts, probably the Hero more than the V2 (by just a little bit) and SS (Yuma is last). There is always the feeling of wanting to have your cake and eat it too. I guess all I'm saying is there will always be a want/need for a Hero that is screen accurate whether it's the cave scene or the ISYHCANL in either static or an fx hilt. But I want it as accurate as can be which is why I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing what Starkiller is going to do. As for some of the machine lines if it was an fx hilt, I'm sure Dan will figure out where/how to hide the lines if he hasn't already, like having 2 emitters (a display and one to hold a blade) as an example.

At the end of the day, I'll be happy with whatever Starkiller Hero we get, solid or fx. You don't have to twist my arm to convince me one way or the other on which one to choose. I'm good with either but can see cases for both. Hell, if he decides to do small runs of both to please both worlds, I would consider it (I know that's not going to happen). I'm just looking forward to having both a screen accurate Hero and V2 from Starkiller in my collection. Can't wait to see how this Hero develops and the ideas/thoughts from others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang. If this run happens, I may have to sell my Nicksdad hero.
If the price is right i may have a friend who might take it.

As a metal worker with own machines I don't quite understand that, being so sure without having them in hand. My Nicksdads arrived flawless, but the machining "quality" of my AS was a big disappointment when unpacking it. And customer care was close to non existent.

I'm generally ambivalent on the fx vs solid debate. I see the value in having an accurate prop if the screen used one was solid. However, fx has two strong points: (1) an fx still looks like a static from the outside but you have the flexibility to create a working lightsaber in the future, while a static would require some heavy machining to convert into an fx in the future, and (2) an fx draws in a larger participant base from facebook and the other fx websites. The second point is beneficial only if the goal is to increase the number of participants and potentially decrease costs. As for point 1, are those of you who support a solid hilt also creating ANH hero DL-44's out of real mausers? In addition, is it certain that the ROTJ hero was solid?

I'm generally ambivalent on the fx vs solid debate. I see the value in having an accurate prop if the screen used one was solid. However, fx has two strong points: (1) an fx still looks like a static from the outside but you have the flexibility to create a working lightsaber in the future, while a static would require some heavy machining to convert into an fx in the future, and (2) an fx draws in a larger participant base from facebook and the other fx websites. The second point is beneficial only if the goal is to increase the number of participants and potentially decrease costs. As for point 1, are those of you who support a solid hilt also creating ANH hero DL-44's out of real mausers? In addition, is it certain that the ROTJ hero was solid?

I agree with most of the points you make. I could go either way with static vs fx for the Starkiller Luke Hero but all being same, an fx-version or fx-capable version will be preferable.

Also want to see a well machined hilt too.

The second point is beneficial only if the goal is to increase the number of participants and potentially decrease costs.

I think (and Dan can correct me if I'm wrong) that a solid hilt run of like 120 is still going to be markedly cheaper per unit than an FX hilt run of say, 175.

As for point 1, are those of you who support a solid hilt also creating ANH hero DL-44's out of real mausers?

Not sure what your point is here. Did you mean to address the FX hilt supporters?

Not sure what your point is here. Did you mean to address the FX hilt supporters?

No. It's meant to address the static supporters. One argument is the need for accuracy to the screen-used prop. However, my comment intended to convey: (i) if those static supporters also build DL-44's, then do they also strive for the same level of accuracy when the ANH Hero DL-44 was made from an active Mauser, and not an MGC or Denix, and (ii) has it been established for certain that the screen-used ROTJ Hero hilt was solid inside? And if so, do we even know if it was one piece, or several machined pieces.

- - - Updated - - -

So, you're pretty consistent in wanting a high level of accuracy - whether it's with respect to the Hero DL-44 or the ROTJ Hero. That's cool.

I’m creating a DL-44 out of a real Mauser...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back