Anovos Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

The RS may be best for some and a more cleaned up version, such as the Anovos.

But the Anovos is not just a cleaned up version it has been completely altered from original shape, it would have been perfect if they just did a clean up job as I prefer the nice smooth surface without bumps/dents and just leave the assymetries and detail shape like the screen used helmets, the whole eye section and frown stands out like a sore thumb and throws the helmet completely off, like the EFX the Anovos will be easy to spot in a crowd of accurate Armor/ helmets, all their armor parts have also the same issues, back plate completely wrong looks scratchbuilt no way it was scanned off a original.

Last edited:
The build to watch is here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/

The guy building this suit is in charge of costume approval in the 501st. He's building the stock Anovos suit to Level 3 (Centurion) standards. Very few changes will need to made, he noted, although he's not using the Anovos-recommended building materials 100%. (mostly preference, not really an accuracy thing)

If costume approval guy from 501st gives this suit the ok to the highest level of accuracy, it's good enough for me!!!

The build to watch is here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/

The guy building this suit is in charge of costume approval in the 501st. He's building the stock Anovos suit to Level 3 (Centurion) standards. Very few changes will need to made, he noted, although he's not using the Anovos-recommended building materials 100%. (mostly preference, not really an accuracy thing)

If costume approval guy from 501st gives this suit the ok to the highest level of accuracy, it's good enough for me!!!
Yep, I've got his thread starred in Tapatalk. Though there's also a youtube playlist from some guy who walks you through construction A-Z which I'll use as a guide:

Armor Building with TK1636: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP1ZIMrRnbqMJewwdCbPNr-xrmgdLz7-D

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yep, I've got his thread starred in Tapatalk. Though there's also a youtube playlist from some guy who walks you through construction A-Z which I'll use as a guide:

Armor Building with TK1636: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP1ZIMrRnbqMJewwdCbPNr-xrmgdLz7-D

Oh, yes. I've been watching TK1636's videos, as well (only up to #15, but I'm taking my time since my armor hasn't shipped yet anyway). Awesome info there! He's not building Anovos armor to Centurion standards, though, he has another kind of armor. (I forget which type) Best info, I think, will be had by watching all the videos for general techniques AND studying ukswrath's thread for the Anovos-specific information.

Oh, yes. I've been watching TK1636's videos, as well (only up to #15, but I'm taking my time since my armor hasn't shipped yet anyway). Awesome info there! He's not building Anovos armor to Centurion standards, though, he has another kind of armor. (I forget which type) Best info, I think, will be had by watching all the videos for general techniques AND studying ukswrath's thread for the Anovos-specific information.
Yes, but the question I'm asking myself, is TK1636 building that kit up to Centurion standard. If so, the method should be basically the same, no matter what kit.

Yes, but the question I'm asking myself, is TK1636 building that kit up to Centurion standard. If so, the method should be basically the same, no matter what kit.

Yes, the basic construction techniques are all the same. He comments a number of times throughout the videos (so far) that his methods are capable of producing Centurion standards, and discusses what changes might be needed, and where, for that level of approval.

Still, it'll good to have confirmation in the ukswrath thread, since that's pretty much straight from the horse's mouth, using the exact same armor kit!

Yes, the basic construction techniques are all the same. He comments a number of times throughout the videos (so far) that his methods are capable of producing Centurion standards, and discusses what changes might be needed, and where, for that level of approval.

Still, it'll good to have confirmation in the ukswrath thread, since that's pretty much straight from the horse's mouth, using the exact same armor kit!
It's a comforting thought that after almost a year of people being on the fence, doubting the quality of the kit, it turns out to be "good enough" even for veterans.

nah i'll be happy as long as it arrives looking as per the advertised photo's (i'll take it on the chin that i thought it would need less trimming). Things in my life have happened since I ordered which mean I won't have enough time to spend on this kit as i'd have hoped, so i'll most likely keep the helmet and sell the armour kit.

"Prototype depicted, subject to change"...

Hoping it hasn't changed too much. :)

sw-imp-trooper-28.jpg

That's a pretty damn good looking helmet.

Does anyone know how long the helmet kits will be on sale? I believe they ship in March... Will they become a stock item?

Definitely going to be picking one up. I would hate to wait too long and have them stop selling.

I don't think it's a matter of the Anovos will stop selling the OT ST helmet kits, but rather the price will go up. Possibly...

Oh man, how this thread has grown.

OP here - I purchased one of the kits at the $350.00 price point, and then I started doing a ridiculous amount of research which eventually led me to getting a full refund, which I put towards an AP kit (and then soon after an ATA). I don't regret it for a second, especially after looking at what people have been getting from Anovos - IN MY OPINION it will be extremely easy to pick one of these kits out of the mix - it's just such a sharp pull and everything is soooooo crisp and defined, especially the frown/teeth. I won't say that this is a bad thing, because most people want an "idealized/perfect" representation of what a Stormtrooper "should" look like, however to the trained eye you can definitely tell that the design has been "perfected". One of the great things about the original costumes was all of the "wonkiness" and asymmetry that you'll find with the armor makers that have been around for a while, which is why you'll see such high praise for RSprops, ATA, TM, and AP (to name a few).

Bottom line:

"I want to be a Stormtrooper, I don't want to pay through the nose, although I want something better than a Halloween costume" - Anovos

"I want to be a STORMTROOPER, straight off of the silver screen in 1977, down to the very last, minute level of esoterica, and I'm willing to slave over a computer screen for hundreds of hours trying to meticulously identify small imperfections and asymmetry that most sane people would not have the patience to replicate" - AP, ATA, RSprops, TM

I'll say this as well - Anovos' customer service is bar none some of the best I've seen in any industry and it is certainly easier to buy from them and communicate with them than other armor makers. Their website, ticketing system, and overall image are super solid - I also love the idea of tier pricing, it makes it really accessible for people that may not have the money for another kit, but are willing to wait.

And to those of you that are surprised/disappointed that the kits are untrimmed, are you freaking kidding me? LOL

Fedex just delivered mine to Fort Worth, TX. Shipped from Carson, CA on 1/20/2016. 3 days in transit. Opened it up and all looks great. Order # 580X paid on April 12, 2015. For comparison for others who order early. My Anovos account still shows "Unfulfilled" as the status. So don't go by that and think your stuff has not shipped yet.

Surprised at how light weight and thin material it all is. The Anovos helmet is 18 oz compared to my 20 year old Universal Armorer helmet at a hefty 31 oz. since it is much thicker plastic.

Is there anyone else in the verse that has anything from Universal Armorer in Pittston, PA 18640, the guys name was Ernie?

This was long before the internet when you ordered by mail from ads in the back of Starlog magazine and such. I have always enjoyed my old Stormtrooper armor from that guy, vac formed from thick stock. Clean lines, but definitely hand sculpted and stylized, not much asymmetry. Wearing it through the years and recently while displaying the Landspeeder, it draws a lot of positive comments from other troopers. Occasionally I'd get asked if my helmet was a little too big? I'd say that I didn't know, and it seemed about right when I'd compare it against other 501st helmets. But today when I open the Anovos helmet, mine is huge compared to the Anovos, which looks like a kids size helmet by comparison. What do you guys think?

IMG_3267.JPG IMG_3268.JPG IMG_3251.JPG IMG_3240.JPG

Anovos on left. Universal Armorer on the right.

This is my 18 year old son wearing the armor when we were on display at Wizard World New Orleans 2016. He's 6 foot, 155 pounds and still a little slim in the shoulders and chest to fill it out properly. When I'm in the armor at 6 ft and 185 pounds, the shoulders are set much wider, which gives a better proportion to the armor. But the helmet doesn't change of course, it just looks better on a broader chest.

Last edited:
If you are gonna be selling the armor, I might be interested. I'm gonna PM you.

Not selling anything - I never ordered this kit. I'm just following this thread with interest. I'm hoping Anovos kicks out some good work. I have high hopes for their Vader helmet. Had I known I could have ordered this ST kit for $350 last year, i'd have been all over it.

As it is, I might venture over to the classifieds for someone willing to dump a bucket. I want to peel off the stickers, then have my kids play kick-the-bucket up and down the street a couple of times so I have a pretty nice rendition of Mr. Nostripes. :D

Sorry I think I clicked on the wrong forum member. My message was actually for razorsharp192

Not selling anything - I never ordered this kit. I'm just following this thread with interest. I'm hoping Anovos kicks out some good work. I have high hopes for their Vader helmet. Had I known I could have ordered this ST kit for $350 last year, i'd have been all over it.

As it is, I might venture over to the classifieds for someone willing to dump a bucket. I want to peel off the stickers, then have my kids play kick-the-bucket up and down the street a couple of times so I have a pretty nice rendition of Mr. Nostripes. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I think I clicked on the wrong forum member. My message was actually for razorsharp192

Last edited by a moderator:
Bunch of spoiled man-children. Just like this forum and all it's advertising/pay-per view, everything is becoming commercialized (thanks Disney) and bringing in the toy collectors who are used to having everything handed to them. Yeah, I've become another grumpy old man. And to the dude that said the 501st won't let you in because you have 4 buttons on your belt instead of two, thanks for the laugh.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back