Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

As for me, I use Tamiya's weathering master for most of the weathering (streaks, blast marks, minor grimes).
I seem to be a minority here in that I am not using airbrush at all, partly because I am limited to working on this thing in short sessions.

One thing that I might recommend to others from my experience, is to finish the underside first, before going beyond base coating the upper hull (if you prioritize the end result of the upper hull, that is).
I presume many members of this forum are well experienced with painting the Falcon, but this Perfect Grade model is quite a different beast.
I learned quite a lot of "what not to do" doing the underside, which became beneficial when I started on the upper hull.

Yes. Good advice Lab. That's kinda what I did. Lots of trial and error at first, so beginning with the bottom lets you learn what works best for the top.

Thanks for your compliments guys! I have been photographing the Falcon today and will share some new images soon. Here's one I just finished with a little help from Photoshop. View attachment 791994

Now that is truly amazing!

Thanks Blakeh1. My goal was to weather it to stand up to close-up hi res shots, because I am also a photographer and I love miniature shooting. I looked at more shots of the full-sized Falcons from the various SW films than at the miniatures for reference. I did very little airbrush on mine and relied more on watered down acrylics slopped on in controlled brushstrokes then wiped off gently in select places and smeared in others. The whole process really only took a couple days which actually did surprise me. And of course, I applied an airbrushed layer of dull coat over the whole thing. Have you painted yours yet?

thanks for the info. I haven't painted mine yet, but when I do, I will definitely be using yours as a reference

That is beautiful. Both the ship and your photography is awesome. Certainly desktop worthy.

Thanks for saying so Edge10. I love making composites. She looks so much better in a familiar SW environment! Feel free to use as desktop if you want...
FALCON_JAKKU_2smaller.jpg.

Here are a few new ones I did today.

FALCON_JAKKU_1smaller.jpg

FALCONstars.jpg

FALCON_PARKED1.jpg

FALCON planetFLATsmallerLighter.jpg

Attachments

• FALCON_JAKKU_1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:

FALCONoverSTAR WARSsmaller.jpg

Here's a little treatment where I incorporated the Falcon model into the title... Original Trilogy ONLY! :)

Going to spend a couple hours on the front cockpit side quadrant today.
Here's my starting point (for today):
IMG_9114.jpg
And one of the main reference photos I'm following:
Right Side 15 copy.jpg
Piece of cake. :sick

Plasticfan ,

Beautifully finished falcon - a real Piece of Junk ! Thank you for sharing .

Have a question regarding your photography ( I’m a complete dunce in this field and photoshop ) , how / what are you using to mount the model in its various poses , before it’s superimposed (?) onto the background scenery ?

:cheersGed

Last edited by a moderator:

@Plasticfan ,

Beautifully finished falcon - a real Piece of Junk ! Thank you for sharing .

Have a question regarding your photography ( I’m a complete dunce in this field and photoshop ) , how / what are you using to mount the model in its various poses , before it’s superimposed (?) onto the background scenery ?

:cheersGed

I actually had a friend hold in from behind along the edges for the underside shots. All others were standing on a white backdrop.

I swaped out the kit supplied cockpit and replaced it with the internal details of the 5' Filming model's. (Joe C's). Since this is a replica of the miniature I decided to make it a full replica...Next up it accurizing the rear engine lighting to how it looked in Star Wars(1977)

Sorry for asking a question that might have been answered, but where can I get this JoeC cockpit? Shapeways? If so can you give the link to it? I want to do my cockpit like that.

Thanks for your compliments guys! I have been photographing the Falcon today and will share some new images soon. Here's one I just finished with a little help from Photoshop. View attachment 791994

[url]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/kRv5wX.jpg[/URL]

I swaped out the kit supplied cockpit and replaced it with the internal details of the 5' Filming model's. (Joe C's). Since this is a replica of the miniature I decided to make it a full replica...Next up it accurizing the rear engine lighting to how it looked in Star Wars(1977)

Sorry for asking a question that might have been answered, but where can I get this JoeC cockpit? Shapeways? If so can you give the link to it? I want to do my cockpit like that.
Hey Scott, yes it was on Shapeways. I just went in to find the link and it's not there anymore. Maybe JoeCS can chime in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back