Guillermo del Toro's The Shape of Water (Post-release)

Honestly, the most excited I've been for a film this year. It looks, and I hope, a return to form for Guierllmo Del Toro. Can't wait to see this.

saw this movie with Guillermo Del Toro in the audience last week. It was an incredible adult fairy tale.

I can't recommend this movie enough, it's still fresh in my min and i thought it was just as great as pan's Labyrinth. The Amphibian man looks like Abe Sapien, but def not the same.

He looks like Abe quite a bit, and even enjoys eggs. It was a really good film, beautifully shot, but there were definitely some "wtf" moments that took me out of it. Overall, very good film. I hope it does well, if it gets a wide release.

Just got back from seeing this. Absolutely in love with this movie. Not only did it look great as you would expect one of GDT's films would, but the story was really great and so well acted. Perfect casting all around. Michael Shannon was definitely my favorite.

I'm glad someone like Joe above liked the movie. I didn't like it all, and I tend to be someone who "gets" movies like this... instead of getting a fantasy-romance, I found a lumbering mess that fell flat. It felt like Beauty & Beast without the heart or emotion and with the Creature from the Black Lagoon that showed nothing to endear us to it.

I'm curious what you mean by this?
I scanned the thread before posting my review and noted that you liked the movie. Obviously, I didn't care much for it... I'm glad someone got it, where I didn't.

No ill will meant at all.

I scanned the thread before posting my review and noted that you liked the movie. Obviously, I didn't care much for it... I'm glad someone got it, where I didn't.

No ill will meant at all.

No worries, its cool. Getting harder and harder to tell around here these days.

In on topic news, GDT just won a Golden Globe for best director for this film. Usually I don't take notice of such things, but in this case I'm just really happy for Guillermo.

I thought the movie was very well made, I do think the sex scene with Michael Shannon was in nesscary but other than that really liked it, my wife is on the fence , she didn't get it good Creature suit played well, like beauty and the beast just Creature from the Black Lagoon update

I have seen it twice now. I have to say, I love the movie, but I totally missed what could be called the final twist on my first watch.
I didn't realize that the 3 cuts on her neck are actually 3 on each side, and in the final scene they open up and are acting as gills allowing her to breathe underwater. Which ties together her being orphaned and found by the river, love of the water/eggs, etc, and her being drawn to the creature. Makes for a pretty cool sad/happy ending, Del Toro style.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back