The Movie Prop Forum

That is part of why we have this forum; to be a stepping stone for those who want to get into the original prop world.
Ah HA! I knew there was something sinister about this place, there goes my daughter's college fund. ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• rpf ackbar.jpg
    rpf ackbar.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,350
I don't want to make waves here but I have to say, I also tried getting a spot on the MPF and even managed to get in touch with the supposed site curator and I think it's a crock of crap. The guy was very condescending and had little respect. I'm not a prop collector, my life isn't financially suited for that type of lifestyle but when I was 10 years old something caught my eye. I was too young to even have a thought that I could buy this item or know it was even possible but 13 years later I luckily found, on my own, a prop of my most favorite character from my all time favorite scify flick. The owner/seller happened to be an employee from the studio at the time and had collected an array of props as well as wardrobes over the years from very renowned films and celebs. Also I just want to add that I'm no high class, wealthy individual. I thought long and hard, picked up another job and realized what I had to do in order to acquire it, I have 4 payments left but the suit is incomplete, I've been looking for the "original" pieces and they're either already "owned" or got tossed after production. The owner himself even stated that he didn't know or hasn't heard of the destination of these items even just a simple belt buckle. Now with that said, people can and will make replicas without actually seeing the prop itself so I don't buy the line, nor does it make sense that keeping new members out had anything to do with "protecting" anything. If it's an exclusive forum why even advertise it? Why is it out on the world-wide-web? In my case I'm forced to replicate the missing pieces because without them, it's just incomplete. Keep in mind I'd rather have the original because nothing compares and in all honesty I do not like replication and would buy these pieces if I could, but that's the other problem. I haven't been able to locate sellers, I even placed wanted ads but none have replied with useful info. I'm a real, average "class" citizen that works for what he wants and hope this helps others to realize it can be done without the segregated deludanoids of the MPF.

Last edited:
Membership on the MPF has nothing to do with your social or financial status, it has to do with what you can contribute to the community (i.e., original screen used props).

From your post here, it sounds like if you were able to join you sole post would have consisted of asking to either purchase (if you could afford to) original pieces of your costume, or asking for pictures/information to make replicas (which is strictly forbidden on the MPF, there is _NO_ replica talk there. To use the Fight Club rules analogy, the first two rules of MPF are actually 'You don't discuss replicas on the MPF.' If you want to talk replicas, you come here.)

So, be honest, you've been a member here for nearly a year and have made 18 posts (all of which seem to be related to trying to make replicas of missing parts of your costume, and one complaining about not being granted access to a website), how much would you actually be contributing to MPF?

And it's not like you have to have some insider/useful information or anything, everyone has to start somewhere, but if you came off just sounding like you wanted information to make replicas then I can guarantee that's why you weren't invited in. If that's all you want, then just post about it here. A great deal of the members of the MPF are members here, they'll see it. If they have information to provide (and want or _can_ offer it), they will. If they knew where additional screen-used items are (and think the owners might help), they'll forward the information along. But there are some people that just aren't interested in helping people make replicas for whatever reason, so there may not be anything anyone can do to help.

As for advertising, where do you see the MPF _advertised_? (Not saying it's not, but I've never seen any, but I use adblockers anyway...) And where, other than the WWW, would you suggest they put it? It's a website that you have to be a member to view, I can list hundreds of those... The studios themselves have some really impressive photo archives _on the world-wide-web_ that I bet every member here would kill to get access to (you'd probably be interested in 20th Century Fox's archive site). I could even post the website URLs. But that wouldn't do you any good since you don't have access to them (neither do I, so no need to ask. :) ) The world-wide-wed IS where you put sites that you want others to have easy access to. If you don't want everyone to have access, you make them sign up in some way.

You obviously didn't comprehend anything I posted, and it most certainly wasn't meant for anyone like you Rik1138 so go share your "useful/insider" info or lack thereof. You seem to have an apparent agenda about my post, why don't you be honest here, you're a member aren't you?

Last edited:
Of course he is. So am I and a bunch of other people here; the same as many RPF'ers are also on the MPF. No secret society nor hidden handshake - just a shared interest in original props and costumes.

I think Rik understood quite well the tone and gist of your post - I think he just disagreed. We do that sometimes, you know.

rick

You obviously didn't comprehend anything I posted, and it most certainly wasn't meant for anyone like you Rik1138 so go share your "useful/insider" info or lack thereof. You seem to have an apparent agenda about my post, why don't you be honest here, you're a member aren't you?

I was just explaining a likely reason why you weren't granted access... If all you are interested in was single question about making replica props, that's not going to get you in... That's not the point of the forum. I don't know the conversation you had with 'the site curator', so I don't know exactly what was said and why they didn't give you access... I'm just explaining a likely scenario based on what you wrote above and what I've seen on this forum. You've posted about your costume and asked how to make replicas of the missing pieces. And, to be honest, you said it right here:
I'm not a prop collector
So it seems very unlikely that a private forum solely for PROP COLLECTORS isn't likely to let you in...

And, based on your followup response, I'd say the 'site curator' made a very good decision. This is a perfect example of the kind of crap we _don't_ have to deal with on the MPF because most of the members can handle themselves in a mature, adult manner (since they are hand-picked to be members).

I _AM_ a prop collector (so of course I'm member there, but I have no 'agenda' about it), and I already told you many of the members of the MPF are members here (hell, Art is a member there... and the owner of the MPF is a member here...) It's not like the two forums are mortal enemies or anything, they just cater to two different audiences (which do frequently overlap).

The RPF is a great place for you to show off your costume and other props you have, and to ask about obtaining or replicating the missing pieces. But if the first thing you have to say about yourself is 'I'm not a prop collector', then the MPF probably just wouldn't be of much interest to you in the long run. I believe that's one of the main reasons Art made an 'original prop' section of this site in the first place, for the casual prop owner that might only have one thing they want to discuss in detail...

people can and will make replicas without actually seeing the prop itself so I don't buy the line, nor does it make sense that keeping new members out had anything to do with "protecting" anything.

That, politely, is a very naive statement. A very high percentage of replicas are easily spotted by due diligence - image research, comparison with known replicas, materials used, functionality etc.

Unless a replicator has access to the original, they are going to get stuff wrong - dimensions, unclear details, colour matches, etc- generally known as tells by both replicators who fear recasting and original prop collectors. If these tells are revealed on a public forum, the replicator is one step forward in producing something that can be faked out as real.

In the age of Blu-Ray and improved studio documentation of props, mass auctions etc. tells are becoming easier to ID, but still not close to having the thing in your hands. The Blade Runner hero blaster was clouded in mystery for decades, until the original surfaced on the market a number of years ago, at which point every replicator incorporates the wealth of new information into their build.

Many members of the RPF and the MPF are experts in their area, through years of research, and are able to call bull on many auctions offering so-called originals. Many pieces have been withdrawn from Profiles in History auctions and others over the years, due to the forger not being aware of the tells the 'secret forums' already know about.

The potential buyer is saved a fortune, not by the auction house, but by the diligence of bloggers and prop sites like the MPF,and the forgery hopefully disappears off of the market.

I think this is a good thing for everyone, don't you?

Last edited:
Ok, So I have a question about the MPF. I would never be able to get into the forum since I'm not that cool in this area. But If I did have something or looking for something / Item. Could a member tell me if its legit or its out there? Not to be trying to get inside info on who has it for legal issues. But maybe I would be able to buy it one day if it was for sale. Not to recast it or sell off to anyone else, but to have in my own personal collection to cherish.

So is that cool to ask a memeber of the MPF to scope / hunt out for me? I wouldn't push them or the member that has it to sell it. i just want to know if someone has it and let them know I would buy it if they chose to let it go at some point.

02.01.2014 StormFan has been banned at his own request.

Wow, talk about throwing toys out of the pram :lol

I always love that response:
:darnkids I am do p i s s e d off right now... I'll show them, this will teach them a lesson...
BAN ME!!!! :darnkids

And in a few days he will calm down, regret his actions and he will be back with a sock puppet account.

I think in the first place the members of the MPF never asked to ban others from the forum. It's a choice the big chief of this site made and we have to respect that.

Last edited:
Of course he is. So am I and a bunch of other people here; the same as many RPF'ers are also on the MPF. No secret society nor hidden handshake - just a shared interest in original props and costumes.

I think Rik understood quite well the tone and gist of your post - I think he just disagreed. We do that sometimes, you know.

rick

Amen.....

Reviving an old thread not necessarily because I'm seeking MPF membership now (again? maybe?)

Frankly I can't remember if I was ever a member of MPF or not...I may have been if the MPF existed like maybe 15 years ago.

If I was an MPF member back in the day, that was a different city, job, email address (which I no longer have access to), and phase of life for me.

I'm still collecting but I took a big hiatus...I had to move back 'home' (to my parents' last house, though if you grow up as a military brat as I did, home is a pretty interesting concept) in 2003 to care for ill parents (I'm the only child). Parent number 1 (mother) died in 2005 (freak car accident after her breast cancer surgery reconstruction & otherwise seamless road to recovery, what happened to her was not all that dissimilar to what just happened to Anton Yelchin, but I can't blame or sue an auto company for it, though I can blame how toxic chemo drugs are and how they not only slow a person down, they can also fog up their thinking). Parent #2 (father) died last year (of the same dementia Terry Jones of Monty Python now has). I was able to keep my dad at home for 10 years and 5 months until his passing (in a hospital bed in his own bedroom courtesy of the godsend known as hospice (the VA unfortunately was not so helpful despite Dad's 2 tours of duty in Vietnam, and a purple heart, a bronze star, and a legion of merit).

So I took a really BIG unplanned break from collecting, not one I would have chosen, but one that has worked out okay for me anyway. I'm only just now getting back into collecting and I feel blessed at all the goodies that have come my way of late.

If I was a member of MPF (and it may well have been MPF because I recall it was a closed group and hard-ish to get admitted to back then) a very kind person in that forum helped me get one of my holy grail hero costumes (I kept thinking I was going to wait for it to come down in price at Reel Clothes's website, did so for many many months, and then it sold! Oh no!). Luckily this collector was changing his focus (he had paid a visit to Reel Clothes and didn't want to leave without buying something and had bought the costume I had been watching from afar) and let go of my grail to me at a very reasonable price.

I'm not sure I desperately need to be a member of MPF again (assuming that that was the forum I had joined) but I recall that everyone in that forum (whatever it was called) was nice to me though what I like to collect doesn't often overlap with what they love to collect (which may be why they liked me as we were unlikely to be trying to collect the same pieces!).

But yeah, this hobby has been evolving. I do see more stuff to collect (good) but in some ways it's become kind of impersonal (bad) and in cases fraught with fraud (ugly).

What a hobby, huh?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back