I just dont get it

CdaddyP

So, I've been through countless pages about scaling. Watched endless videos of scaling. Thought I had it figured out, and lo and behold, two Batman cowls later, I'm dumbfounded. I measured the width of my head, 5.75, changed the width in Pepakura to 6.67, and it's still too small width and height wise. Could anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Please forgive my noobie-ness.

My answer is not the answer you want to hear, but when my buddies have used pep, no amount of math did the job. They had to print, build, test fit, and keep making things bigger or smaller until it worked. Even for items in the same files, all meant to be in scale with each other; everything needed different scales, some scaled up, some scaled down.

Trial and error. Use paper to make the mock ups until you get what you need. Then use whatever material you wanted as your actual base.

Lol...yeah, that's not the answer I wanted to hear...lol.. :lol Looks like it back to the batcave for me for a while until I get this sized right. I really appreciate your answer!

I have only done a couple of pep helmets and the are a pain to scale.
I printed them out on typing paper and held them together with scotch tape to figure out the right size.
Only waste time and toner not hot glue and the heavier card stock.

I have only done a couple of pep helmets and the are a pain to scale.
I printed them out on typing paper and held them together with scotch tape to figure out the right size.
Only waste time and toner not hot glue and the heavier card stock.
Thats a great idea! Gonna give it a tumble.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

You might be looking as exterior dimensions of the cowl when you need to be looking at the interior dimensions. The exterior will be to the furthermost points past the ears and nose. In Pep Viewer you can do point to point measurements in the 3D view to get the exact interior sizes. That will get you alot closer.

Another problem is that the scale might be fine in the width, but not in the depth front to back, say.

One approach is to do a test fit using only enough of the file to make a band round the forehead. Even then it's a bit trial and error.

What I usually do is extract an obj of the file, then open it in Blender, or whatever 3D modelling program works for you. I use a front and side profile picture to check the scaling. I had front and side pics taken of my head, using a telephoto lens to lessen parallax errors, and kept the scale the same. This means I can see which parts of the file are likely to cause problems. Then it's a matter of scaling up or down on the side or front views.

I found that almost all pep files need the mesh reshaped to suit individuals. For example. I found a Dr Fate file online that was totally unwearable, although it looked OK at first glance. Here's some pics of an Uruk Swordsman file I made some years ago. I ended up having to stretch the crown of the file up and forward quite a bit, although the finished helmet looks very similar to what you started with. I know it sounds a lot of work, but it lessens frustration in the long run.

Head shot 1.png Head shot 2.png Head shot 3.png

You might be looking as exterior dimensions of the cowl when you need to be looking at the interior dimensions. The exterior will be to the furthermost points past the ears and nose. In Pep Viewer you can do point to point measurements in the 3D view to get the exact interior sizes. That will get you alot closer.
Yeah ive used the meaaurement tool and get the exterior dimension, which should have given me the interior dim that i needes. It did. However, the height was way off. So maybe i should be measuing the height of the cowl instead?

Yeah ive used the meaaurement tool and get the exterior dimension, which should have given me the interior dim that i needes. It did. However, the height was way off. So maybe i should be measuing the height of the cowl instead?

The point to point tool will let you select a specific point and click on it then click on another location and get the measurement between those two points. You might also want to edit your title and get this moved to the DC costume section where more Batmen can see this and help you. They might have worked with this particular file before to give you some pointers.

The point to point tool will let you select a specific point and click on it then click on another location and get the measurement between those two points. You might also want to edit your title and get this moved to the DC costume section where more Batmen can see this and help you. They might have worked with this particular file before to give you some pointers.
Thanks. I will do that when i get a chance.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back