Kurtyboy's project updates: 24 July - More blasters

Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete

Excellent ... and I noticed you left the Exactra board underneath as well ... you think that's how it's always been from the start until ROTJ?

Chaim

Yeah, nice. No, VERY NICE to keep the board under the bubbles! Looks awesome.
Vader only or Luke, Obi, too?

Yes, exactly SymCha. It's probably also a thing of being in the right place at the right time.
But, 30 years of passion didn't beat a lucky amount of parts:thumbsup

Cheers.

I might be struggling to get a circuit board into the Graflex sabers as the Exactra bubbles have been cut down to fit under the lips of the clamps. I'd have to file the bubble strips down quite a bit. I suppose I might get away with just glueing them on top of the board. I'll have a look.

Holiday Special control box ideas.
holidaysaber13.jpg

holidaysaber12.jpg

holidaysaber14.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

No way of really knowing for sure, but if the ESB to RotJ saber was left over from ANH then quite possibly.

Excellent ... and I noticed you left the Exactra board underneath as well ... you think that's how it's always been from the start until ROTJ?

Chaim

Outstanding Vader lightsaber! :thumbsup

What are you using to make the SWHS lightsaber box? It's looking good. I need to come up with some box/clamp ideas for an OT style custom lightsaber I am working on using a Peak flashtube. Could go the easy route and get a replica Graflex clamp but I kinda want to scratch build something like what you are doing for the HS saber. Unfortunately good materials are hard to come by where I am located right now.

Andy

It's just 2mm sheet styrene and 4mm square styrene rod.

Are those sidebars original to the MPP? I never realized the tops and bottoms were curved like that.

This is nice, really nice. As well as Jedi Reali's question on the sidebars is the silver part of the clamp (that the nail slides into) real? I own a few MPPs myself but they're all slightly different so it'd be good to learn about some more variations that are out there.

The sidebars are real to the best of my knowledge. I bought the MPP from a photographer who said to me "I hope you're not going to turn it into one of those awful Obi Wan Kenobi things!"

I'm pretty sure the clamp lever is real also as it came from my other real MPP that I converted into the ESB/RotJ. It's a bit mangled from when I prized it off the post.

Thanks for explaining and thanks for sharing; there are so many variations just on the three I own that I thought it well likely this could be another variation. How many different reflectors have you encountered? I do see those thin lines on the black of the pommel right?

It looks great by the way and really clean. Some of my clamps have those tell tale semi circular marks on them but I love these real part builds. Lovely piece of work.

I'll need to remove the MPP labels on mine at some point, firstly for Boba Fett; how did you remove yours?

beautiful sabers, seriously, you have a knack for this sort of thing. Where did you find your D ring for the MPP?

I also am not sure what to make of that Hand stunt. The gutted graflex is a nice idea. I think I see gaffer tape around the upper grip section.

Love your collection Markus. That gun wall in mental. No MGs or are they too heavy to hang? :)

Re: Working on some more props: 22 Oct - More lightsabers

Finished my Luke ESB severed hand saber although I may remove the tabs inside the clamp as it looks like the red button should be lined up with the control box. I've had plans to make this saber since buying the prosthetic hand from someone here nearly ten years ago but only just got round to it!

It's a real Graflex with Gino grips. I went for slightly curved grip ends although some are almost angled. The circuit board is a real one I got from Marv which was missing one silver line so I added that with aluminium tape.

The originals:

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv142/kurtyboy2/props2/lukehand10.jpg

Looking this picture there is a black band at the top of the grips?

Thanks Neil. I don't actually own any MGs and they are so expensive now that I never will!

Marv, Anyone's guess what the black band is!

Love your collection Markus. That gun wall in mental. No MGs or are they too heavy to hang? :)

Crap...the more I look...The less I think I see a clamp. I still think that's gaffer tape or something at the bottom - but the top i'm 90% sure is a graflex tube.

Some blaster work now. Getting my Naboo blaster ready for paint and working with Markus to get the other parts together.
calico1.jpg

Some minor upgrades to my ESB DH17. Was missing a couple of parts (thanks Markus!)
esbdh171-1.jpg

esbdh172-1.jpg

esbdh173.jpg

Also working on the ESB A280 with help from Markus.

- - - Updated - - -

And... Yoda saber will be getting some upgrades.
yodasaber1.jpg

Re: Working on some more props: 27 Oct - Some blaster work

Is that a true Praco or a Bolsey No. 2 Yoda conversion?

Chaim

Does the endcap have a hole for screwing the flash onto something like so :

Or does it have a spring inside as seen here :

Another Praco tell could be this brass screw :

Chaim

I would say it's a real Praco then but a different model from the prop. There are holes missing and other holes in different places. Also the side rivet is missing.

Any idea what that rivet is? I'd like to add it.

I went through ESB Bluray to look at the severed hand saber. The black band around the top of the grips looks more like a step down/recess similar to the MoM Vader.
severedhand.jpg

stepdown1.jpg

Does the endcap have a hole for screwing the flash onto something like so :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Yoda_saber_pommel-vi.jpg

Or does it have a spring inside as seen here :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/PracoEndcap_zps658e2869.jpg

Another Praco tell could be this brass screw :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/yodasab9.jpg

Chaim

A bit more work on my Holiday Special control box. I've since also added another layer under the sidebars piece.
holidaysaber15.jpg

And my first attempt at detailing didn't turn out too well! Stripped the paint and took NeoRutty's advice and ordered some thin masking tape designed for detail work.
holidaysaber17.jpg

Yoda saber. The emitter is a real Lambo wheel which looks good from the front but has the wrong profile.
yodasaber3.jpg

I had to add the last step as it was missing.
yodasaber5.jpg

The activator appears to be a resin cast from a real one although it is noticeably smaller than it should be. It was in poor shape so I removed the paint (it actually peeled off in one go!) and spent a bit of time cleaning it up. Also added the groove on the underside.
yodasaber4.jpg

yodasaber6.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back