Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Hm. Interesting idea, but Scotchlite-type reflective material bounces light back to the point of origin. Which is why they work well as reflective vests - they reflect the light back from an oncoming car, to the driver. I'm not sure how it'd look if the dominant light source is perpendicular to the reflective material, as would be the case. Only one way to find out, though. :)

A big obstacle is (I believe) the side panel detail is molded into the inside walls of the cockpit tube. I was thinking lightsheet might work, but that would mean sanding off all the detail, probably thinning out the tube walls, and then hoping for a PE set that has new cockpit walls. I'm sure Bandai pondered different alternatives and concluded there simply isn't enough thickness at 1/72 to create a viable solution. It would be a fun problem to solve.

Hm. Interesting idea, but Scotchlite-type reflective material bounces light back to the point of origin. Which is why they work well as reflective vests - they reflect the light back from an oncoming car, to the driver. I'm not sure how it'd look if the dominant light source is perpendicular to the reflective material, as would be the case. Only one way to find out, though. :)

...& its only about 4 quid a roll.....so worth experimenting with

A big obstacle is (I believe) the side panel detail is molded into the inside walls of the cockpit tube. I was thinking lightsheet might work, but that would mean sanding off all the detail, probably thinning out the tube walls, and then hoping for a PE set that has new cockpit walls. I'm sure Bandai pondered different alternatives and concluded there simply isn't enough thickness at 1/72 to create a viable solution. It would be a fun problem to solve.

I bought some EL lightsheet & I wasn't really happy with it,.....it wasn't that bright,....when it's off it's a blue material,....& it dulls each time you use it,...limited life

Perhaps clear rod, filed & sanded flat,....with enough opaque for light glow out the sides??

J

Perhaps clear rod, filed & sanded flat,....with enough opaque for light glow out the sides??

J

That's an interesting idea. I have the Bandai 1701 Refit kit and it uses clear plastic pieces that channel the light from the bulb source (back then they didn't use LEDs) and then spread it out using grooves in the plastic to create a surface of light. Maybe using a thin strip of clear styrene and carefully filing v-shaped grooves on the surface will work.

Anyone have any ideas about lighting the side cockpit walls, particularly the side light bars?

I think the best way would be to recast the walls in clear, then use whatever light source you think works best for you. I don't have the know-how or capability, but I would think eventually someone would do it.

- - - Updated - - -

J

That's probably the easiest and quickest approach, and probably the best short of re-casting the parts.

I think the best way would be to recast the walls in clear, then use whatever light source you think works best for you. I don't have the know-how or capability, but I would think eventually someone would do it.

Shapeways have a "clear acrylic" option, but it's not very transparent. No idea how well it transmits light. The Frosted Detail plastic doesn't do a great job of transmitting light.

nkg, have you collected your Falcon yet?

How much was the import duty?

John

Last edited by a moderator:

@nkg, have you collected your Falcon yet?

How much was the import duty?

Not yet. Parcelforce are bloody awful and slow. The box has been in the UK since last Tuesday.

Duty wasn’t too bad - I think it was 20 quid. But they charged 80 quid VAT, and I don’t know why yet - should be 60 quid. Plus handling. So a lot.

-nkg

Not yet. Parcelforce are bloody awful and slow. The box has been in the UK since last Tuesday.

Duty wasn’t too bad - I think it was 20 quid. But they charged 80 quid VAT, and I don’t know why yet - should be 60 quid. Plus handling. So a lot.

-nkg

Thanks nkg.....so I'd expect under 100 quid to allow it into the country

This isn't an if anymore......just a when?

But unfortunately I need new wheels first

J

As the greeblies are multi-layered, I chose to prime some areas in grey before attaching eveything.
The state in this photo might convey how the greeblies on this side are assembled.

P2030422rs.jpg

The kit is more like building a 1:350 battleship than building a 1:72 aircraft.

Last edited:

Parcelforce sent the customs card to the wrong address. And on top of that, customs calculates VAT not on the value of the item, which is fair, but the value of the item AND shipping costs. Talk about a scam. :(

As the greeblies are multi-layered, I chose to prime some areas in grey before attaching eveything.
The state in this photo might convey how the greeblies on this side are assembled.

View attachment 758096

The kit is more like building a 1:350 battleship than building a 1:72 aircraft.

You know? This might be one that I prime while still on the sprue, rather than individually or after it's assembled

Priming on sprue? Be warned: Bandai kits parts have a really tight placing. A simple coat of primer could be enough to create building problems.

Shapeways have a "clear acrylic" option, but it's not very transparent. No idea how well it transmits light. The Frosted Detail plastic doesn't do a great job of transmitting light.

I considered Shapeways, but thought of the same issue. Clear resin should do the trick.

Priming on sprue? Be warned: Bandai kits parts have a really tight placing. A simple coat of primer could be enough to create building problems.

So you recommend priming the assembled product? Considering how close the plastic is to the base colour of the falcon, this will probably work too.

Yes. Whether priming on sprue or on individual parts before assembly, it is better to avoid getting paint on the pins or the sockets.

Also, I suppose some will prefer to "de-snapfit" this kit by trimming the pins or by widening the sockets. While I would not say it is impossible, because the kit is designed so that the parts are bound together by the force applied by the snaps, gluing instead of snap-fitting could interfere with the balance of the force, causing unpredictable problems.

IMG_5635.JPGIMG_5633.JPGIMG_5636.JPGIMG_5637.JPG
Received mine last week but haven't had the time to really look inside other than open the packaging.

I always prime after assembly with a darker color than the base color. Than the base coat (top coat) gets frosted over creating very nice shadows, depth, and variations.

Did this on 1/144 Bandai Falcon, here's an example

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
3dde367d5fff6d6d24b072626334dcb0.jpg

4135ae3b5ef936423481a0017a435de8.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back