The Graflex Legacy Builds - Office Set Up!

Re: The Graflex Legacy Builds - Completed Crystal Chamber

This came out great! What kind of sound board is that?

It's just a Nano V3. I always use it in all my builds, since I find that all of the extra fancy little electronic add on's just aren't worth my time and money. I'ts easy enough for me to use a simple LED set up with good sound files and minimal battery usage.

More pictures for fun!
View attachment DSC_0219.JPGView attachment DSC_0223.JPG

Last edited:
Re: The Graflex Legacy Builds - Completed Crystal Chamber

Hello!

I made the move from California all the way back home to NJ now, so it's been a bit since I've worked on anything saber related. I've got a room that I'll be turning into an office type of room and will finally be able to display my collection. It's going to be great! I have to figure out a few ideas for stands though, since I don't have any.... We'll see how that goes!

Hello again!

I've been slow on the move now that I'm back, and I haven't really made much time for projects. I have finally got all of my furniture moved in, and I'm slowly putting shelves on the wall of my office space!

Here's what we have so far:

DSC_0482_zps0cwspmvc.jpg

DSC_0487_zpsx7mdjg1u.jpg

DSC_0489_zpssjble1vw.jpg

Not much on the right wall for now, but maybe some more shelves and some posters will look good. I definitely wanted to frame my old uniform and flag to put it up, so that's hogging up the wall all by itself right now.

I've got my three OT sabers up here! That Vader ESB isn't done yet, but no one else notices so it's ok...

DSC_0472_zpstpth1im6.jpg

My ROTS Graflex sits with my Disney Infinity figures. I just love these things as little collectibles, I don't know why.

DSC_0480_zpsaszclrwp.jpg

And then for all of you guys that like more retro gaming, I had to display these guys....

DSC_0434_zpsctgsi2gg.jpg

For now, that's about it. I'll be putting more things up in the future, and possibly doing some acrylic stands. We'll have to wait and see I guess. Plus, there's probably going to be another Graflex variation for Episode 8, so the legacy will continue!

Thanks guys!

Dude, You have inspired me to work on my own crystal chamber and electronics pod, rather than just buying a kit. Go Marine! Your build looks fantastic. Now all I gotta do is decide which of the three Graflex I will use for the build, which I will keep stock as an example of where this prop came from, and which one I will sell to prove to the wife that I AM a responsible adult, thank you very much. ;-)

Re: ANH Graflex Legacy WIP

I felt the same dilemma long ago when I didn't even have a Graflex in possession. When I consulted the members here at the time, I had gotten one response that I feel is fully logical and consolatory at the same time. The person pointed out that these units--albeit vintage and somewhat rare--are only valued due to their involvement with the Star Wars franchise, which necessitates that it represents a lightsaber hilt and not a camera flashgun. Also taken into account the fact that these units are still fully functional as a flashgun even with the hole drilled addressed the question for me once and for all. Only under display considerations for the purpose of showing the item in its original condition would it ever be a relevant question, in my opinion.

The next question that I tackled with (and still tackling now) is what holes to drill, since these units serve for both the ANH and ESB models, and once the bottom is drilled, it's permanently modified to hold either of the two D-rings and I prefer drilling holes in such a way that the bottom can hold either D-rings at a time without showing any significant signs of dual accommodation. Though I haven't done anything physical yet, I currently theorize that carefully drilling the ANH hole at an acute angle to the ESB holes would make it such that the ANH ring would cover the ESB hole closer to the center of the bottom and only exposing the hole closer to the rim. But if I had to choose one, I'd go with the ANH setup for two reasons: first, that it is the original detailing of the lightsaber that may have carried over to one or more of the other heroes/stunts involved in ESB/ROTJ, making the Kobold ring merely a detail variant, and secondly, that having the belt ring closer to the middle of the bottom holds the hilt more snug against your person, thus minimizing swinging of the saber when you walk with it, which I've seen at a convention is quite ridiculous.

One last thing I've been trying to figure out is whether to use a rivet or a button head screw which requires a locking nut on the inside of the bottom. Obviously, the rivet is easier to install, but harder if you ever want to take it out. On the other hand, inserting a locking nut inside with the battery spring present probably isn't going to be an easy task either. I'm fully open to suggestions on this point...

Thanks so much for posting this. It's really helped me not worry so much about the fact that I've just purchased a vintage graflex with ANH D-ring installed. I was feeling like I would rather have had it without a hole at all. However, this post has really put my mind at ease about the modification to the vintage tube.

Another question I had been wrestling with was the debate over ANH or ESB style D-ring. I always thought the way the ESB D-ring opened to the outer edge of the tube would make it lay better on your body, any maybe it does (seems that way in ESB promotional shots of Mark H.), but I never thought about the "swinging wildly when walking around at conventions" part. I can see how having the ring open in the middle of the tube might provide a bit more friction with your body.

Again, I was really glad to find this 6 monthly post. Thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back