Suicide Squad

11188331_10155425076730161_6632703933412179985_n.jpg
The mask is ok, surprised it's a full face one actually. But the vest : does anybody else here see what I see ? It looks like it's made from our trusty foam mats ! Even the color match the standard foam tile from every foam build. On the good side, it's gonna be pretty easy to replicate for us, but it looks a bit cheap to me.
NOaqVNu.jpg
Harley is more New 52 than Arkham, in anyway it matches her current comics look for sure. Love the baseball bat "good night", and looks like she has the Joker's revolver in a shoulder holster there.

How insecure does someone on the production need to be to race to Twitter to make sure everyone knows cosplay guy isn't one of theirs and to insult the fan to boot?

This looks worse than batman vs superman, which everyone was hoping would be the missing context that made Man of Steel shine in hindsight. Sadly, it's not meant to be. The DC film universe started bad and is getting worse. Every iconic character is turned the same boring shade of gray, visually and otherwise. They don't know what they want to make - or there are too many suits in the kitchen - and it's apparent all over their footage/images.

a few pics and 1 trailer and the DC film universe is getting worse? I for one am gonna wait till the actual release for judgement and still hope that both BvS and suicide squad will deliver. And i like all ive seen so far even tho some things may not be what i expect/hope for...

a few pics and 1 trailer and the DC film universe is getting worse? I for one am gonna wait till the actual release for judgement and still hope that both BvS and suicide squad will deliver. And i like all ive seen so far even tho some things may not be what i expect/hope for...

Consider it from this perspective.

If everything you've seen continues to seem underwhelming and uninspiring, and if the pace at which information and long-range plans are being revealed seems just a little too brisk, and if the information and plans actually being revealed strikes you as...confusingly all over the place and very, very hurried, you might be justified in saying "Man, the DC film universe is going to hell in handbasket."

Personally, I find it revealing that the entire color palette of these films seems muted and greyed, in contrast to Marvel's far more vibrant look and feel across their films. Even Daredevil -- arguably Marvel's darkest and grimmest product to date -- is color timed more "blue" than "grey." The real irony here is that DC has always been accused of being the more cartoonish in its comic books, and Marvel was supposed to be the grim/gritty one. On the big screen, their roles appear reversed.

The sense I get is that DC recognized the massive success they had with the Batman trilogy, and, in an attempt to recreate it, have basically just gone full-formula or at least lifted all manner of elements out of the Batman franchise and dropped them into several other film franchises, without regard for whether it fits or works with the source material.

Now, all that aside, the films themselves may rock. Man of Steel was pretty awful, but BvS may be good, and Suicide Squad might be terrific. When it first was revealed in 1999 during pre-release hype periods that the X-Men would be wearing what later became their traditional film costumes, my first reaction was to dismiss the film as "Ugh. X-Men Motocross Racers." Then I ended up LOVING the first film. So, it's not as if first glimpses may mislead and obscure a really good film. But so far, what I've seen of the DC stuff just has this feel of "designed by a committee of suits who don't get it."

This movie looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I just saw the group shot of the cast and it looks like a 1990s super hero tv show more than a DC movie. To me it's more proof DC needs to stick to good animated movies and leave live action to Marvel.

This movie looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I just saw the group shot of the cast and it looks like a 1990s super hero tv show more than a DC movie. To me it's more proof DC needs to stick to good animated movies and leave live action to Marvel.

Or at the very least stop trying to play catch up with Marvel and take their damned time to do the characters justice instead of shoving every character they can into as few films as possible...

Plus, using a cast that can convincingly portray the characters is a lot better than stunt casting (*cough*Deadshot*coughcough*).

How insecure does someone on the production need to be to race to Twitter to make sure everyone knows cosplay guy isn't one of theirs and to insult the fan to boot?

This looks worse than batman vs superman, which everyone was hoping would be the missing context that made Man of Steel shine in hindsight. Sadly, it's not meant to be. The DC film universe started bad and is getting worse. Every iconic character is turned the same boring shade of gray, visually and otherwise. They don't know what they want to make - or there are too many suits in the kitchen - and it's apparent all over their footage/images.

Wait, started bad?

89?

Harley is just a 2-liter of Fago away from being a Jugallo... er... jugalette? Well it certainly maintains the aesthetic established by MySpace Joker.

I don't really see that. This version appears to go with the New 52 backstory in which she, like Joker, has bleached skin. Aside from that, she looks like the newest iteration of the character, a derby girl, with heels rather than skates.

- - - Updated - - -

the thing that bothers me most is that i think she looks like britta from community, and i cant unsee it.

Britta is more a Poison Ivy than a Harley.

Whelp, I guess I know my type now. Officially blinded by Harley lust. Still think the movie looks crap, but congrats to her momma and her papa.

All matter of personal opinion...

Of course! There were elements of MoS that I did like, in fairness - but several crummy aspects that outweigh those for me making it an overall miss.

attachment.php

Can't wait to see the trouble that we can't solve by any means other than letting these goons out of prison to work together... :lol Too too stupid.

The animated assault on arkham had a nice story on how they would make them team up. Wouldnt be surprised if most of it will be in this one.

In the end im just eager too see these since this is just a nice era to be in with all the superhero related movies were getting be it DC or Marvel.

There are things that work well in comics or animation that don't work well on film, especially when handled by a studio unwilling to attempt anything other than "darker, grittier, more 'realistic." As soon as you try to make it seem like this is happening in the real world rather than coming at it through a very stylized lens, you subject all of the ideas, story beats and characters in the story to "real world" scrutiny.

Richard Donner's Superman takes itself seriously (in that no one is mailing it in or winking overtly at the material like the campy Batman TV show that preceded it), but it's not realistic. Reeve dove into his role and played Superman without irony, but Clark is a bit over-the-top and the film has a timeless quality built on classic motifs belonging to the character. Burton's Batman is similar. When it's got a unique look, a unique voice, and amplifies the established themes of the character/property, audiences allow for more impossibilities in the story - a necessity with superhero films. Superman shouldn't be a documentary, and I feel Snyder tripped himself up trying to force fit the most impossible character and situations to real world implications. If you're gonna bring in facebook, we may as well acknowledge that there's no way in hades that Clark's identity isn't public in high school. They were able to recognize that Lois would be a terrible investigative reporter if she couldn't tell who Clark was in their "realistic" treatment, but foolish enough to pretend that Perry and everyone else will be tricked by a pair of glasses. They teleport Lois all over the world, in Kansas one moment and on a military plane in Metropolis the next ("realistic!") and involve her in eeeeverything. Throw in a Pa Kent who doesn't serve as the moral compass Superman needs growing up, unwatchable video game fight scenes that are longer than the average sitcom, and the neck-breaking moment, and it all adds up to a pile of grey mush. No real Superman heart, no fun - and all of those "real world" violations stick out needlessly because of the approach.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back